PDA

View Full Version : Custom router bit

Nihilist37
30th March 2009, 04:18 PM
I'm after a custom router bit as I can't find any that suite my needs.

I tried carb-i-tool but for a 1 off it would cost me $280 which is a little bit out of my range for one router bit.

I'm looling for a chamfer bit with a bearing on top,.22.5 degrees which isn't out of the normal but I need it to be able to cut 1.5" of timber.

Does anyone know a tool maker that can make something like this for a reasonable price?

China
30th March 2009, 09:19 PM
I don't think you find any one to do it for much less that price is about right

rrich
31st March 2009, 05:26 AM
Would it be possible to build a sled to hold the work at the appropriate angle and feed it through your thicknesser?

petersemple
31st March 2009, 10:03 AM
Cut the angle with a smaller bit of the appropriate angle and then enlarge it with a plane? You probably wouldn't get exact accuracy on the angle (or I wouldn't) but I think you'd get pretty close.

Peter

rod1949
31st March 2009, 12:02 PM
So the cut of 11/2" (40mm) plus the bearing say 15mm dia, thats approx 95mm dia. Will it fit the hole in your router base plate?

nine fingers
31st March 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm after a custom router bit as I can't find any that suite my needs.

I tried carb-i-tool but for a 1 off it would cost me $280 which is a little bit out of my range for one router bit.

I'm looling for a chamfer bit with a bearing on top,.22.5 degrees which isn't out of the normal but I need it to be able to cut 1.5" of timber.

Does anyone know a tool maker that can make something like this for a reasonable price?

If its straight cut , a job for a spindle moulder. Depending on quantity a cabinet maker could run it for you at a fraction of a router bit price.
regards nine fingers

Wood Borer
31st March 2009, 01:37 PM
:whs:

Nihilist37
1st April 2009, 03:53 PM
Problem solved! I just visited a local furniture maker who will use a tilting panel saw to do the work. Enough wood to do about 10 jobs, total cost $20. Thanks everyone.