PDA

View Full Version : Model sailing boat

Winslow
7th June 2004, 05:42 PM
I am restoring a fully rigged boat and building a cabinet for same. I was advised to thinly brush Olje Dekkes (Danish Decking Oil for real boats) onto the rigging to ensure long life. I obtained a small portion in a sealed jam jar but it went to jelly in one day. Heating in a bowl of warm water didn't work. HELP?
Also, what gauge glass would be ebst for the display cabinet. I am looking at 4mm. Is this strong enough for merely sitting on a shelf. Case is 33inches by 27inches by 13 inches. :confused:

bsrlee
7th June 2004, 09:56 PM
The problem with the decking oil is that it is supposed to gell when in contact with air & moisture. If you have just a little bit in a jar, you have a lot of air and atmospheric moisture, and the oil has a relatively large surface area.

Next time, get a SMALL container - an old pill bottle or model paint pot is big enough, then fill the container completely to the top. Also be aware that the oil you are supplied with may already have started to 'go off' or cure before you get it, so you will not have long to apply it - wait until the model is complete BEFORE you go to get a new supply.

Suppliers of resin such as Daystar or Barnes Products in Sydney can $upply a pressure pack can of 'Dry' nitrogen to replace the air in a part can of finish and slow the cureing process.

This also happens with Tung oil.

As for the glass, ask the glass supplier for advice - regular window glass is a no-no - if it breaks it will shred whoever is nearby - ask for tempered glass or whatever which will crumble like a car windscreen if Junior runs fullspeed into it.

AlexS
7th June 2004, 10:23 PM
John,
Bradney's glass at Pennant Hills are good - have used them a number of times.