PDA

View Full Version : Driving a closing down bargain on lathe.

44Ronin
31st March 2009, 09:19 PM
Today, it became apparent to me that a certain sydney tool outlet is set to shut down its doors for good and seeks to clear all floor stock.

They appear to sell versions of the MC900 and MC1100 lathes, tag prices of 569 and 659 respectively, including stands.

If I am lucky they might have a Nova mercury mini with a tag price of 730

My question is what kind of reduction should I be haggling for with cash in hand?

Calm
31st March 2009, 09:21 PM
Today, it became apparent to me that a certain sydney tool outlet is set to shut down its doors for good and seeks to clear all floor stock.

They appear to sell versions of the MC900 and MC1100 lathes, tag prices of 569 and 659 respectively, including stands.

If I am lucky they might have a Nova mercury mini with a tag price of 730

My question is what kind of reduction should I be haggling for with cash in hand?
The best you an get:2tsup:

44Ronin
31st March 2009, 09:25 PM
The best you an get:2tsup:

The best I can get all depends on bluff and haggle....the balance of holding out and liquidation....so if I am well informed I can haggle much better,

woodwork wally
31st March 2009, 10:03 PM
You walk in the door and offer about 33% OFF AND COME UP FROM THERE IF NEED BE at that they should still have a small margin of profit and at least be prepared to haggle and you would have a reasonable bargain as well I have no precuniary intrest in any company but have owned a sold out business of my own and if the offer is realistic you talk and if not they are told where to go . so good luck and I hope you buy one Cheers WW.Wally

Ed Reiss
31st March 2009, 11:23 PM
You walk in the door and offer about 33% OFF AND COME UP FROM THERE IF NEED BE at that they should still have a small margin of profit and at least be prepared to haggle and you would have a reasonable bargain as well I have no precuniary intrest in any company but have owned a sold out business of my own and if the offer is realistic you talk and if not they are told where to go . so good luck and I hope you buy one Cheers WW.Wally

.....hmmmmm, 50% might be a better starting point

hughie
1st April 2009, 08:21 AM
Sale? dunno check this link out. They may have put thier prices up prior to going out of business, or maybe thats the reason. :U

I reckon go fo 50% and tell about them about thier high prices, show em the cash.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/WoodLathes2

Last time I bought at a similar it was cost plus GST.

munruben
1st April 2009, 08:00 PM
Yep go for 50% you can always offer more money. Good luck.

Ashes
1st April 2009, 11:19 PM
There are courses you can do on negotiation!

The basics however are
- Only enter into price discussions if you are truly serious about buying an item if it is offered in your price expectation. Don't tire kick, it wastes everyones time.
- Set 3 target outcomes - what you would love to get it for (start here), what you would like to get it for(a reasonable outcome for both parties) and a price that is your absolute maximum but one you are still willing to pay.
- NEVER NEVER NEVER up your own offer unless they have made a counter offer (dont bid against yourself)
- dont treat a negotiation with the aim of achieving a WIN-LOSE outcome. Invariably there is never a winner.
- don't take it personally or emotionally when you dont achieve your "love to get price". You are really targetting your "maximum prepared price" and anything less than that is a bonus.
- only negotiate with someone authorised to make discounting decisions.
- Always be reasonable as retailers do actually have to make money to survive..

one thing I like to do, if I've achieved an outcome I'm happy with, is to offer to pay "cash" instead of credit with the intention of saving the retailer the 2 to 3% merchant fees and let them know I'm doing this for their benefit. The impact on this is usually that you leave the store on better terms with the manager (as you negotiated with them..).

Paul39
2nd April 2009, 07:22 AM
I have had good luck with:

Know exactly what something is worth at retail, or if used about what things are selling for, or 50% of retail in good working condition.

Have cash enough to pay for the item.

Be ready to load and take with you. Keeps seller from switching or losing parts etc.

Have in mind your absolute top price and ask, "what is the absolutely least you will take for this, right here, right now, in cash?"

If it is below your price, load and go.

If it is above, say that is more than I am willing to pay, thank them for their time and go.

I have been surprised at deals I have gotten this way, sometimes the price is WAY lower than what I would offer. I have also walked away from a few.

wheelinround
2nd April 2009, 08:59 AM
I notice no mention of where or whom so other Sydney people can take advantage of such a sale.:~