PDA

View Full Version : My new lathe AND the first thing I turned!

Eldanos of KDM
31st March 2009, 09:57 PM
G'day, Just got a new Elu woodlathe for a good price. All i had to do with it was have some new toolrests built and it's brilliant!:2tsup: Well, it seems brilliant but I dunno. It's my first lathe and It's a lot of fun. I'd never used one, but I'm pretty proud to say that the first thing I turned was this new handle for a handle-less ward chisel I was given. It's something. I know what adjustments I'd make for the next one(s), but I reckon it's not too bad for my first:) As soon as I got my lathe I cut a piece of timber from a fence post from my mate's grandads old shed and let rip. Not sure what timber... Jarrah or redgum? Any ideas appreciated- Hardwood cut from Hills Area from Sydney.
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/EldanosofKDM/First%20thing%20I%20turned/IMGP2366.jpg
And my Lathe with it's new crappy little ply cabinet complete with Bacon my Dog and MF Doo Doo my cat
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/EldanosofKDM/First%20thing%20I%20turned/IMGP2386.jpg

Anyways Have a good night!

orificiam
31st March 2009, 10:05 PM
Congrats Eldanos on the lathe and your first turning.there's no stoping you now.
As for the Cabinet I've seen worst.
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

Eldanos of KDM
31st March 2009, 10:11 PM
Cheers Tony appreciate the feedback. No ideas on the timber ofthe handle??

thefixer
31st March 2009, 10:14 PM
Your off to a good start mate. Nice job for your first turning. I would say it is definately redgum. Now, how do you intend to mount the cat in the lathe; in the chuck or between centres:D

Cheers
Shorty

P.S welcome to the forum

orraloon
31st March 2009, 10:24 PM
A very good and practical start.
You are hooked now.

Eldanos of KDM
31st March 2009, 10:26 PM
Cool, well in that case redgum is a beautiful timber. I'm using the rest of it for legs for said mate's wedding present (I should be earning money) and I'm loving every minute I work with it:) Ah the cat, I knew someone would have a cat comment :2tsup: There have been many times I've almost ruined it with a chisel let me tell you! It's earnt its place in the workshop now though. It's almost as cool and calm as the dog is when I start up the thicknesser or the table saw:) Have a good night

Eldanos of KDM
31st March 2009, 10:50 PM
A very good and practical start.
You are hooked now.

I Sure am mate. I've wanted a lathe for ages because i never got taught how to turn and it looked like so much fun. I was right and now I can't s)

Congrats on the 800th post

Ed Reiss
31st March 2009, 11:17 PM
Good shape for a handle....welcome to the turning addiction:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st April 2009, 12:21 AM
Hooked! :D

And you're off to a good start.

(BTW, ya better get used to saying "I know what I'll do different next time..." :wink:)

Ad de Crom
1st April 2009, 01:48 AM
Hi Eldanos, welcome aboard.
For sure a good start, and hooked forever.
Have fun.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
1st April 2009, 10:06 AM
G'day Eldanos. You have made a first rate beginning.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Timber could be Grey or Blue Gum. Might even be an Ironbark.

ElizaLeahy
1st April 2009, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the club of making sawdust addiction!

I happen to love your workbench - wish mine were as nice! I have the metal stand thing bought from Bunnings for $59!

Cat and dog in workshop - they are going to get covered with sawdust! :)

munruben
1st April 2009, 07:57 PM
Good work and a great start to turning.

Farnk
3rd April 2009, 08:35 PM
Great effort mate, yes I concur that is redgum!
The only problem I see is the sheer cleanliness and organisation evident in the photo!
Where are the shavings? :o Why is the timber in the bacground so neatly stacked?:o
How are you going to spend time searching for your tools when they are so neatly sorted out and all have homes?:doh:

Love your work, but the professional shed potterer in me is offended! :D

Welcome mate!

orificiam
3rd April 2009, 10:05 PM
C'mon Farnk give him a go he's only starting out. he'll have plenty of time to learn how
to be disorganised.:no::no:
Cheers Tony.:)

Cub
5th April 2009, 09:34 AM
That looks fantastic, you could sell that chisel ( it's that good,really )
Keep up the good work and happy woodworking.....Cub:U

Eldanos of KDM
5th April 2009, 09:47 PM
That looks fantastic, you could sell that chisel ( it's that good,really )
Keep up the good work and happy woodworking.....Cub:U

Hey Cub, Nice to see someone here who lives in a suburb 1km as the crow flies from my joint!

Cheers for the compliment mate, appreciate it. Hills Represent!

Sawdust Maker
5th April 2009, 10:31 PM
Nice turning - that handle looks like it would just slip into the hand and be comfortable

Welcome to the slippery slide of "I need another ..." whether it be wood or a chisel or a ...

Thanks for the timber id - a couple of my handles are made of what appears to be the same timber - don't know where it came from as I but everything away for a rainy day!

One thing - is your drive centre at about elbow height - looks a tad low to me, but then I don't know how tall you are!