PDA

View Full Version : Ride on wooden truck, How?

srulik
2nd April 2009, 07:32 PM
I must build a ride on truck for 2 years old kid.
I need an help with steering shaft details,
As steering shaft will go vertically trough cab, did i need metal bearing or something like?
:o

watson
2nd April 2009, 08:11 PM
G'day Mate,
What would the steering shaft be made of??

srulik
2nd April 2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks!
I plane made it from 25-28 mm wooden ready made dowel.

watson
2nd April 2009, 08:21 PM
Beaut....Its a long time since of had anything to do with 2 year old kids, but I reckon that a couple of hardwood blocks drilled to fit the steering column would do the trick.

srulik
2nd April 2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks! The real story is that I need make 2 units for 2 cousins that they are my grandchildrens...
I will do as you recommended me :2tsup:

weisyboy
2nd April 2009, 08:40 PM
a god hard wearing hardwood should do fine there would need a lot of turning to wear it out. id be happy if it wore out:2tsup:.

watson
2nd April 2009, 08:55 PM
And don't forget to post the pics when its done :U :U

srulik
2nd April 2009, 09:07 PM
Pics will post here soon :)

srulik
11th August 2009, 08:53 AM
here is the 1st
YouTube - rideonwoodentruck

made from wasted pices:B

Charleville
12th August 2009, 11:30 AM
What a beauty! :)

'Twill be good to see the finished product.

Really good so far. :)

artme
12th August 2009, 11:28 PM
Boy, that is some hole saw!!

srulik
13th August 2009, 09:08 PM
I'hv bigger....
look at movie - its another places- the driller and the "assembly" place.
I went to friend's metal shop to drill out the wheels... my drill stand is poor powered for this job.. next week iwl put here mor pics.:B

mick59wests
13th August 2009, 10:39 PM
This ride on truck with similar steering has worked for at least a while (I could not find the finished photo).

cheers

Mick

srulik
14th August 2009, 12:24 AM
G O O D !!!!
how u make rubber tyres?

srulik
16th August 2009, 08:51 PM
making rims, "tires" and steering wheel
:B
YouTube - Wooden Wheel fo Ride on Truck Toy

professori_au
27th August 2009, 10:23 PM
Hi all,

Read the request regarding bearings for steering on truck.

If I can add some advice regarding wear-ability based on my experience as an engineer.
The use of dowelling is fine but when considering the bearing I use a basic rule of thumb, i.e. do not use materials of similar hardness they will wear quickly. This I would think would apply just as easily with wood as with metal. I found wear-ability improved when you ran a hard material with a soft one. They tend to polish each other and make the running surfaces slippery, hence lasting longer.

Most of the engineering work I did involved farming and often required a repair on the job. e.g. An elevator housing might be worn through by the grain and the farmer was losing a lot of the grain.
Problem. I could not go into the field to do the repair where I was in a field of dry wheat crop.
I found a solution that worked very well and lasted several years was to repair the surface with resin and fibreglass. Cured quickly and without danger of fire and the farmer was soon back in stripping the crop. Typically, it was not followed up during the down season as "well, it worked so let it be was the philosophy. You wonder than grain could wear steel so easily.
Bronze/brass with steel worked fine as well. Have even used solder in an emergency.
A friend's utility, many years ago broke down in the outback of Australia, with a bearing problem and too far to the nearest repair station. The repair was done on the side of the road using some brown paper to pack the white metal bearing so it could be driven. Last some 10,000 miles before it was decided that it would be a good idea to repair the motor . Another similar repair was carried out by stripping down the leather from some bridle reins. Worked too.
So in conclusion softwood to hardwood should work.

Regards
professori_au

Shedhand
30th October 2009, 11:59 PM
:o I'm staggered that our Israeli mate has all his fingers still. We don't see his other hand so maybe that's the stumpy one......kiddies, don't try that at home. Nice truck though! :C

srulik
10th November 2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks!
But other hand hold the camea....:wink: