GourmetSaint
3rd April 2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.gourmetsaint.com.au/tgspc/images/ctractor.jpg

Harry72
3rd April 2009, 05:56 PM
Pretty good for a 1st time!

GourmetSaint
3rd April 2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks. There are actually about 5 files showing detail for the roosting box, roof truss and assembly and frame itself. I wouldn't mind a critique if someone with more SketchUp experience would like the challenge. I started with Visio scale plan drawings. It was great to see it all come together.

Buzza
4th April 2009, 09:56 PM
A great chook tractor, but it may be a bit heavy for SWMBO to drag around. A perch for the night could added under the roof line to. I have the traditional egg box on my chook house, and they are great. Yours makes the tractor look just fine. :2tsup:

GourmetSaint
5th April 2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for that. As the run doesn't rise much above your knees, even the kids will be able to drag it around. The box assembly is 15mm marine ply. The rest, apart from the skids is 50mm timber.

GourmetSaint
5th April 2009, 10:20 AM
I added the perch...

http://www.gourmetsaint.com.au/tgspc/images/ctBox.jpg

Buzza
24th June 2009, 11:25 PM
Of course, they must have a perch. My chookhouse has the same egg box as yours, and it allows rain to get in where the hinged gap is. I curved a sheet of colourbond, and fitted that over the top of the egg box lid. I had to recess it, but I think I now have it seald against the weather. If not, I will try something soft like the impreganted sponge rubber used for sealing off under corrugated iron roofs, or a length of the salt damp plastic fixed on and sealed with silicone. :) Yours looks great by the way.

derekh
25th June 2009, 09:15 AM
Is there easy access to clear out their droppings ? Mine is more triangular and I have one side that opens fully so I can get a shovel in. Otherwise, ok with me :)

BantyMom
2nd August 2009, 02:00 PM
Nice Sketchup drawing! My first tries were terrible.

Do you have bantams or large fowl? How many do you want to house in this?

I would like to suggest that you replace the floor with 1/2" x 1" welded wire and allow the dropping to fall to the ground. Run a support or two under it and it should support your birds just fine. If you have standard-sized birds, you could use a heavy gauge 1" x 1" wire.

I have a question regarding the dimensions. Looking at the placement of the perch, I am concerned that the birds will have a little trouble getting up and down from it because of what looks to be a small amount of room on either side of it.

can we have the .skp file?

Cheers,
BantyMom

:)

PS: Is it OK to post up similar concepts in the same thread? Would it be helpful? I have about a half a dozen chicken tractors, each one solving some problem I found in the previous one, and I drew up Sketchup docs of some of them, but I don't want to post them in this thread if that would be rude.

GourmetSaint
18th April 2013, 04:59 PM
Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the .skp files.

rwbuild
18th April 2013, 07:26 PM
http://www.gourmetsaint.com.au/tgspc/images/ctractor.jpg

Where's the link to look at it????????????????

NCArcher
18th April 2013, 09:30 PM
Only 4 years to reply. :doh: I think BantyMom might have given up. In fact she hasn't visited since 2009. :no:

GourmetSaint
18th April 2013, 09:35 PM
Email me.
Better late than never.

GourmetSaint
19th April 2013, 08:51 AM

Christos
19th April 2013, 09:21 AM
....Better late than never.

This is true. :U