PDA

View Full Version : Layout Quiz for 8 June 04

Ralph Jones
8th June 2004, 09:34 PM
Good Evening Friends,
When setting stakes on uneven terrain and using a builders level or transit.

How do we know the mark on each stake is level?

Respectfully, :)

Barry_White
8th June 2004, 10:09 PM
Check them with a water level.

Robert WA
8th June 2004, 10:59 PM
Whatsa "transit"?????

RETIRED
8th June 2004, 11:03 PM
A level that someone has thrown? :rolleyes:

bitingmidge
8th June 2004, 11:14 PM
Whatsa "transit"?????

It's a kind of Kombi van but made by Ford.

P :o

journeyman Mick
8th June 2004, 11:21 PM
Every day that my level goes on the tripod I check it as follows: set up level, shoot two levels a few metres apart that are at different heights, move level about 10 -20 metres over to the other side of the two check points, shoot levels again, make sure the difference between the two points is the same from both positions. That's my daily check, then every year (or more often if it's getting a lot of use) it goes in to get checked and calibrated. Plus you swear profusely :mad: at anyone that comes within two metres of the tripod and threaten to have anyone flogged :eek: if they touch the profiles. THAT'S how I know that all my marks are level! :)

I think a transit is what we call an engineer's level, like an automatic level but the head can be tilted in a vertical plane so as to transfer set outs up onto bulkheads and ceilings.

Mick

Robert WA
8th June 2004, 11:29 PM
You guys are really helpful, and wrong. Now, what was the question?

Trans´it
Noun 1. transit - a surveying instrument for measuring horizontal and vertical angles, consisting of a small telescope mounted on a tripod
theodolite
alidad, alidade - surveying instrument consisting of the upper movable part of a theodolite including the telescope and its attachments
surveying instrument, surveyor's instrument - an instrument used by surveyors
tacheometer, tachymeter - a theodolite designed for rapid measurements
2. transit - a facility consisting of the means and equipment necessary for the movement of passengers or goods
transportation, transportation system
airfield, flying field, landing field, field - a place where planes take off and land
air transportation system - a transportation system for moving passengers or goods by air
bridge, span - a structure that allows people or vehicles to cross an obstacle such as a river or canal or railway etc.
facility, installation - a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry; "the assembly plant is an enormous facility"
highway system - a transportation system consisting of roads for motor transport
infrastructure, base - the stock of basic facilities and capital equipment needed for the functioning of a country or area; "the industrial base of Japan"
line - a commercial organization serving as a common carrier
public transit - a public transportation system for moving passengers
public transport - conveyance for passengers or mail or freight
short line - a transportation system that operates over relatively short distances
telferage, telpherage - a transportation system in which cars (telphers) are suspended from cables and operated on electricity
depot, terminal, terminus - station where transport vehicles load or unload passengers or goods
way - any artifact consisting of a road or path affording passage from one place to another; "he said he was looking for the way out"
3. transit - a journey usually by ship; "the outward passage took 10 days"
passage
journey, journeying - the act of traveling from one place to another
lockage - passage through a lock in a canal or waterway

Robert WA
8th June 2004, 11:32 PM
Whoops. Mick, you were not there when I posted.

seriph1
9th June 2004, 08:14 AM
my dictionary clearly states the same as ROBERTWA, with the one pivotal exception:

4. When Venus crosses tha path of the sun on days like yesterday

:D

Ralph Jones
9th June 2004, 10:48 AM
Good Morning Friends,
I got quite a kick out you fellows especially those who didn't know what a transit was. Actually it is nothing more than the engineers instrument that can traverse both horizontally or vertically.

The level has a line of sight that neither dips, sags, or curves and when setting grade stakes on uneven ground and establishing a grade line you are telling the dozer operator where to fill or cut to arrive to a rough level grade.

Her in Ohio I have seen the time when we had to lay a painters pick across a ditch to locate a stake with a grade mark on it for the operator.

Thank you all for your comments and support.

Respectfully, :)