PDA

View Full Version : Length of Shaft (sic)

C.Webb
8th June 2004, 11:04 PM
I have numerous router bits. One I love in particular is a sash bar router bit. However, having bought a u'beaut router table I find that the thickness of the table means that the shaft on the router is well out of the collet/spindle to such an extent that I am a little concerned that there isn't a good length still in the router.... solutions?

John Saxton
8th June 2004, 11:28 PM
Hi, you didn't state whether you are using 1/2" or 1/4" router bits in you router mounted under.
In no way should the bit be mounted in the collett any less than the bottoming out of about 1/8" or around 3mm from the bottom of the collett.
To do so invites not only possible distortion of what you're trying to achieve but also the dangerous situation of an ungainly bit.
The collett is there to provide you with maximum protection whilst holding the bit in an appropriate manner when doing your cut .
If your new router table compromises the situation with your existing router bits you then have toENGINEER the table around the problem you have.
Look at the router razer it may help you achieve your objective.

But please don't put yourself in any situation whereby you could get hurt!

Cheers :)

C.Webb
9th June 2004, 12:03 AM
Johno,
Ï neglected to say that the router bit was a 1/2" shaft and I understand what you are saying... hence the question. I don't know whether I used the correct term when refering to the 'collett' but I don't want the bit to be too far proud of the guts of the router itself and wasn't sure if anyone had the same problem when using a new router table. I am, after having lost a few bits from fatigue because of height problems, all too aware of the danger you mention but was looking to those, such as your good self, who may have a solution.

Bunyip
9th June 2004, 12:30 AM
There are router collet extensions available. These have (in your case) a 1/2 inch shaft that goes into the router collet as usual, and in place of the cutter head another collet. They can give you about a 2 inch extension

Personally the thought gives me the hebes and I would not use one. I imagine that they would flex so you could not put lateral pressure on them. I would rather modify the table or put in router insert to give more depth.

These are readily available in the US, not sure about in Aus.

PS the collet is the part that clamps onto the bit and holds it within the router shaft housing.