PDA

View Full Version : just some ?

dzcook
9th June 2004, 12:33 AM
1 with doudle hung windows the handyman who was fixing them for me said that the weights are missing ( which i find strange but who knows ) do these have to be made for these windows or are they something off the shelf ? what are they just a cyclinder with a loop on the top ? would it perhaps be cheaper to get something as a sudstitue made up ?

2 laying masonite underlay ( which i always thought was marked with a grid pattern for nailing ) is there a way it should go ? should the long side go across the old boards or dosent it matter ? i know not to put joins along the old board joins

3 do u really need walls behind kitchen cupboards the kitchen at the monent are just the old painted studs and the back of the next room walls all the cupboards have a back to them and would line (splashbacks to ceiling ) from benchtop up but am curious to know if there is a reason that the walls are done floor to ceiling then the cupboards are installed ?

4 the bathroom floor is flat wood ( covering with fibro sheeting wet area stuff ) then vinyle or tiles but there is no floor drain do i need to install one there is no fall in the floor at all and if vinyle wont be any with that would a drain serve purpose at all if i put one in ?

well afew ? there but as they say if u dont ask u dont find out

thks again
david

bitingmidge
9th June 2004, 12:56 AM
David,

1) Often double hung windows in Qld did not have counter weights...workers cottages were just that! If you look at the top of the reveal each side and see a pulley wheel disappearing into the wall space you'll know they were once there.

If you can lift them without the weights, you can still by a little hook gadget thingo made of flat brass, which screws onto the reveal and pivots to support the window. If you want to go really cheaply, a stick or several sticks of varying length will do the job just as well.

2) Doesnt' matter. I'd go across the boards "just because". Don't forget to stagger your joints "brick bond" style.

3) I guess you mean wall lining. No you don't need a lining if you can't see the wall. Make sure that all access for rats and things is sealed. Mostly it is easier to sheet the wall than to leave sheeting off...that may not sound smart, but it is rarely the case that a whole wall is covered by cupboards.

4) Floor drains in bathrooms are a leftover from a time when people left taps running (apparently). They are not compulsory under the plumbing code, but there is an interpretation of the Building Code of Australia which requires them. If you are comfortable leaving it out, dont' bother. With a timber floor and nothing below, if push came to shove, I'd cut a hole straight through and drop in a shower waste, with no plumbing to it. Let's face it, a leak in a bathroom is unlikely to drop as much water onto the ground as a good overnight storm!

Hope that set's you on your way again!

Must be time for some more pics!

Cheers,

P

dzcook
9th June 2004, 09:47 AM
the window pulleys are there but when he opened up the frame there wasnt any weights inside

had thought that there was a reason also suppose that if the cabinets are moved then there could be a lot of filling in

thks for the reminder on staggering the underlay hadnt remenbered that

david

jackiew
9th June 2004, 10:26 AM
was interested to read about the floor drains ... I have lived in 4 houses now in Melbourne and none have had a drain in the floor in the bathroom. Which brings me to a related question ... why don't Australian sinks ( possibly basins to you guys ) and baths have overflows... this is normal in UK ( which would explain why we don't have drains in bathroom floors even when the bathroom is upstairs ... ).

seriph1
9th June 2004, 11:21 AM
was interested to read about the floor drains ... I have lived in 4 houses now in Melbourne and none have had a drain in the floor in the bathroom. Which brings me to a related question ... why don't Australian sinks ( possibly basins to you guys ) and baths have overflows... this is normal in UK ( which would explain why we don't have drains in bathroom floors even when the bathroom is upstairs ... ).

Strikes me as an odd thing too - I recall in a Victorian house I rented as a young'n, there was a drain hole in the freestanding cast iron basin. I guess it is just one of those things like the floor waste that is no longer a code requirement.

.... and if memory serves: BLOODY handy when washing whiffy footy socks with the tap running - then needing to answer the door .....

:)

Barry_White
9th June 2004, 01:09 PM
I think you if you wanted to put the weights back in the window you would pick up weights from a second hand or demolishers building yard. They come in various weights for different size windows.

As far as the overflow drains are concerned in basins I think you would find that most of them wouldn't keep up with a fast flowing tap hence the move to floor wastes in the modern homes.