PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have experience of this product?

craigb
9th June 2004, 12:54 PM
I'm looking for some template guides that I can use on my new GMC fixed base router primarily with my Taiwanese half blind dovetail jig.

I found this product from McJing

http://www.mcjing.com.au/RBC/NEWRBCFRAME.HTM

Does anybody have one of these?
Do you reckon that it would work with the GMC?

TIA
Craig

ozwinner
9th June 2004, 01:15 PM
Your link doesnt work properly.

Al

silentC
9th June 2004, 01:22 PM
Do you mean this? http://www.mcjing.com.au/RBC/BUSHING%20KIT.ASP

This is one of the reasons I hate framesets and refuse to use them on any of my sites. :mad:

craigb
9th June 2004, 01:46 PM
Yep that's it Darren.

Why didn't the link I posted work BTW?

silentC
9th June 2004, 01:56 PM
With a web site created using frames, the main url doesn't change as you navigate the site. The frameset has one or more frames (or windows) within it and when you clicked the link to display the bushing kit, it loaded the page within one of those frames but didn't change the URL in the location box of your browser. So when you cut and pasted from there to your post, all you got was the default home page instead of the specific item you were looking at. You basically cannot bookmark a page within a frameset site. They should be banned for that reason alone. There are others but I wont bore you any further ;)

Woodchuck
9th June 2004, 09:51 PM
Hi Craig,

I tried some of these universal type bases on my GMC & other routers once, if they fit correctly I would say they should be ok. The problem I had was even though there was dozens of holes pre-drilled, none lined up correctly. If I used these the template guide would have been off-center to the router bit :mad: .

Another option & what I do is just make your own bases. It's dirt cheap & simple to do. Just use some 6mm MDF or plastic (costs like $4 for a sheet of 6mm MDF). This can be handy if you have more than one router you want to use template guides with as you can make a base for all your routers but only buy the one set of guides.

To make one is straight forward, take the base off your router. Put it on the MDF & trace around it, mark also the holes for screwing the base back on. Cut out the base, drill out where the holes need to be (counter sink them so when fitted the screws are flush or slightly recessed). Now cut or rout out a hole in the center of the base (making certain it's centered to a bit or the collet) to the right size/shape so as to mount your template guides.

Also on the face of the base (underside) where you fit the guide make a shallow recess the same depth as the thinkness of the guide. This is so the guide is flush with the base when fitted. Make this recess 1mm larger in diameter roughly than the diameter of the guide so it fits in easy & your done.

With whats left over in MDF make a circle cutting jig or a larger base with an off-set handle or patterns & jigs.

Hope this helps

Woodchuck

craigb
9th June 2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks Woodchuck, I must confess that it didn't occur to me to make my own router base, but I can see that it would be simply done. But where does one get the guides from? I had a look in the latest carbatec catalogue but I can't see any.

Craig

Woodchuck
9th June 2004, 10:54 PM
HI Craig,

I think if you rang any of the main woodworking shops that they would have some. Myself I like the Trend ones, they seem to have the biggest range of sizes I have found as yet. MIK sell these, not sure about who else.

Cheers

Woodchuck

craigb
10th June 2004, 09:58 PM
Ordered a Trend 12mm from Mik today. $24 including postage. Usual slick service from Mik. Sent an email enquiry, had a response from them within 20 mins. Well done Mik. :)

mikeyp
11th June 2004, 12:38 AM
I got the template bushing box from McJing.
The holder did not fit either of my routers (Ryobi or Hitachi), however I simply used some MDF to make a new base and made the appropriate hole and shoulder for the template guides.
The guides (as with all the McJing stuff) are all imperial.

Regards
Mike

Woodchuck
12th June 2004, 11:03 AM
Craig, good to hear you got it sorted. Thats the other reason I get mine from MIK, good range of products and always seem to get great service :)

Cheers

Woodchuck