PDA

View Full Version : better way to true wheel

Daddy3x
8th April 2009, 12:28 AM
I have been grinding my gouges on the white wheel that came with the grinder (1750), not a high quality grinderm but does the job. After the wheel gets a bit loaded, I true the face using a diamond tool and the next few sharpenings is when the tool will "skip" and bounce. Wear marks after sharpening confirm this. Am I not truing the wheel correctly? The wheel was replaced at the store's expense once, as it had significant lateral runout, but two bad wheels in a row? A true face is a true face from my perspective. After a few sharpenings, all settles in just fine, but by then, there is a slight groove and needs truing again.
Scott

Texian
8th April 2009, 04:26 AM
Scott,
Are you using single point or T type diamond dressing tool? Sounds like your "truing" is actually un-truing the wheel. When dressing the wheel, hold the tool firmly against the tool rest, and only lightly against the wheel. Heavy pressure against the wheel may result in the dressing tool actually "turning" the wheel out of round. Have had same problem and this simple technique corrected it.

Daddy3x
8th April 2009, 08:02 AM
I have the T-style. So my truing may actually be enhancing it's bad behavior? I will try it and see what happens. Thanks!

RETIRED
8th April 2009, 09:02 AM
Like most things, practise makes perfect.

Most people press the dresser too hard.

This is the way that I do it.

Have a solid rest that nearly touches the wheel at about centre height. This is to give maximum support for the "t" on the dresser.

Making sure that the dresser is in line with the axle of the grinder move it in slowly until the dresser just contacts the high spots of the wheel.

You must remove these first to "true" the wheel. Most times by the time you get this done the wheel is nearly dressed. If not, still proceed with "light" even pressure to dress the wheel.

You not trying to remove half the wheel so the touch should be like "an angels kiss".

RETIRED
8th April 2009, 09:03 AM
AND WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. The grit off the wheel goes everywhere.:D

Jim Carroll
8th April 2009, 09:08 AM
When you get a new wheel they are roundish not perfectly round.

So what you have to do is get the wheel running true.

What it sounds like you are doing is dressing the wheel but not trueing it.

To do this spin the wheel by hand and put a pencil line around the wheel.

Start the grinder and put the diamond dresser on the tool rest and bring it in till it just touches the wheel do not push any further, once it feels like it is doing nothing more stop the grinder and have a look at what has been cleaned up by what is left of your pencil line. This will give you an indication of how out of round the wheel is.

Restart the grinder and bring the dresser in and touch the wheel again and slowly move the dresser in till all the pencil line is gone.

Once it is running true you may even notice the grinder sounds like it is running freer.

You should not get any bounce of the wheel now.

Tim the Timber Turner
8th April 2009, 10:44 AM
like "an angels kiss".

I've led a sheltered life.

Could you please explain what is an Angles Kiss?:B:B:B:B

Thanks Tim

gtwilkins
8th April 2009, 10:51 AM
Scott,

I never had much luck with the T style and got a single point diamond for truing and use the T for dressing after.

I also use a depth collar from a drill set on the single point and set that against the tool rest so I don't sneak in when I am truing.

Also wear good breathing protection, as says the grit goes everywhere and is hard on your lungs.

Trevor

bobsreturn2003
8th April 2009, 10:52 AM
THERE ARE A LOT OF WHEELS THAT ARE NOT ROUND . i have had them that needed trueing up on the sides as well as the outside diameter,really out of balance ! you should also check the cente bush in the wheel is a neat fit on the shaft and wheel is snug not and too tight, usual to have a paper gasket to cusion the wheel between flanges . cheers bob

Daddy3x
8th April 2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks one and all, I did all the steps you all shared and sharpened one gouge and shut the wheel down. A nice even dark stripe right down the center, no jumping, skipping or misbehaving. I learn something new everday around here. Much appreciated. I still have to tell my wife that I NEED to go to the store on my vacation day for a new wheel, however, I just will be coming home with something else now :U

Scott

Ed Reiss
8th April 2009, 12:04 PM
AND WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. The grit off the wheel goes everywhere.:D

....and a respirator for the same reason :D

Daddy3x
8th April 2009, 12:18 PM
I have an extra one of those Craftsman 1 or 2 gallon mini-shop vacs and was trying to devise way to cut out a piece of the wheel shroud perhaps to collect all that nasty stuff (still with mask though). Anyone done one of those that would let me see (copy) their design? I wouldn't go to the expense of an automatic starter, but those are getting pretty cheap.
Scott

RETIRED
8th April 2009, 12:39 PM

I've led a sheltered life.

Could you please explain what is an Angles Kiss?:B:B:B:B

Thanks TimThat is a kiss taken at about 45 degrees to the horizontal.:p:D
Now , an Angels kiss is like caressing your favourite chisel, soft and gentle.:wink:

NeilS
9th April 2009, 12:06 AM
I have an extra one of those Craftsman 1 or 2 gallon mini-shop vacs and was trying to devise way to cut out a piece of the wheel shroud perhaps to collect all that nasty stuff (still with mask though). Anyone done one of those that would let me see (copy) their design? I wouldn't go to the expense of an automatic starter, but those are getting pretty cheap.
Scott

Search postings by Stu in Tokyo. He had some images of his grinder that had a dust port. I think the topic was "What the well dressed grinder is wearing this year......."

Neil

new_guy90
9th April 2009, 02:27 PM
I have been grinding my gouges on the white wheel that came with the grinder (1750), not a high quality grinderm but does the job. After the wheel gets a bit loaded, I true the face using a diamond tool and the next few sharpenings is when the tool will "skip" and bounce. Wear marks after sharpening confirm this. Am I not truing the wheel correctly? The wheel was replaced at the store's expense once, as it had significant lateral runout, but two bad wheels in a row? A true face is a true face from my perspective. After a few sharpenings, all settles in just fine, but by then, there is a slight groove and needs truing again.
Scott

are you using a jig? when i first set up my jig it jumped but stopped after a pass :? i thought it was because the jig is vibrating differently to the wheel but it does not bother me actually my uncle noticed the run out of the wheel (out the side) lol then he took it off! he was really concerned about it but i had never had a problem.

Patrick