PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Super Jigs ??

Jerryj
8th April 2009, 12:29 AM
Hi I have already done a bit of reading and am interested in purchasing a 24" Super Jig. I am a little confused so maybe the people who own one of these jigs can help me. Can you cut finger joints (box joints) with out the need for the optional (extra) template as I have read that you can do them just using the standard template. Also I have a few routers but my favourite is the makita 3612c is this too big or too difficult to mount. Final question what can the D4R do that the Super jig can't.

Thanks Jerry

malb
8th April 2009, 07:49 PM
Hi, I have a 12in Super Jig, which is the limited capability member of the family. As the entry level unit, it comes witha fair degree of capability, but no expansion options.

As I understand it, all Super Jigs can handle 5/16inch and 5/8inch box joints with the standard setup. However the 18 and 24 inch superjigs have accessory guides available including a box joint one that can handle 3/32,3/16, 3/8, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 inch box joints as well. Accessory kit includes additional e bush guides in 1/2in and 5/8in sizes to accomplish this. It is $329 in the recent Carbatec cattledog.

Superjigs have plastic endplates, D4R has metal, D4R fingers are seperate LH and RH pairs so there is scope to vary the pin and tail sizing, Superjigs have one piece fingers so less scope. Superjig can do single pass half blind DT, D4R aparently doesn't.

I have a Mak 3600BR and a Triton TRA Router and consider both to be over sized for the superjig. Reciently bought a $49 1200 W Aldi router priimarily for the Superjig, it comes with 8mm and 1/4 in collets so accepts the standard 8mm shank Leigh bits.

Hope this helps

Jerryj
8th April 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the info Malb stupid me has just read the Carba-tec Cattledog in full and all the info regards finger joints are in there. So a smaller router is the go. Do you use your Super jig often or does it sit on the shelf. Is it easy to set up etc.

Cheers Jerry

Brisruss
9th April 2009, 01:45 PM
Hi Jerry,
I have the Superjig 24 and like it a lot. I started using the big triton router on it until a bad thing happened. (See my SAD TR001 thread for details). What I found was it was too large and too heavy.

I also have a Hitachi TR8 and i used that instead. Even though it is an old router it was an ideal size and weight. I used it to cut blind dovetials in hardwood and pine and it seemed to handle it OK. A little more power would be useful.

I have now got a Dewalt 621 and it is a great size to use. I haven't cut dovetails with it yet.

Cheers,
Russ

mkemila
13th May 2009, 02:41 PM
Hi I have already done a bit of reading and am interested in purchasing a 24" Super Jig. I am a little confused so maybe the people who own one of these jigs can help me. Can you cut finger joints (box joints) with out the need for the optional (extra) template as I have read that you can do them just using the standard template. Also I have a few routers but my favourite is the makita 3612c is this too big or too difficult to mount. Final question what can the D4R do that the Super jig can't.

Thanks Jerry

Hey Jerry,

Just bought a 24" Leigh Super Jig a couple of weeks ago....and LOVE it!!!! You can cut two sizes of fingerjoints right out of the box (no extra template needed)...the D4R can make you spend about an extra hundred bucks, other than that I think they have the same features.......Mark

ron1mar
31st May 2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks Jerry
I used the 3612b on the leighs jig and that worked fine. Never done finger joints but doing through dovetail joints and they are great not too hard to do also. With other joints just needs routing but using through joints need to do adjustments until the right fit. Also I used different colour timbers so a good contrast.

mmm
26th June 2009, 11:01 PM
i have a dr4 i find a small router is the best i love the jig its simple you use and the dvd for set up is a great help saves a lot of reading as the book is a large read.