PDA

View Full Version : reverse chucking

Daddy3x
8th April 2009, 08:09 AM
I rounded over a faceplate and covered with leather and paper towel, reversed the bowl over to make a transition from bottom to the side. I consistently get a squawking noise when trying to do this. Somewhere I heard this can be a symptom of centers not being dead on. I checked and they are "slightly" off. They almost touch, maybe a paper thickness off. How to correct such a thing? I did check to see that the morse tapers were clean, all set there. Powermatic lathe.

Thanks

Tim the Timber Turner
8th April 2009, 10:36 AM
I rounded over a faceplate and covered with leather and paper towel, reversed the bowl over to make a transition from bottom to the side. I consistently get a squawking noise when trying to do this. Somewhere I heard this can be a symptom of centers not being dead on. I checked and they are "slightly" off. They almost touch, maybe a paper thickness off. How to correct such a thing? I did check to see that the morse tapers were clean, all set there. Powermatic lathe.

Thanks

If you are using a cone centre to apply pressure to the base of the bowl. you can place a 1/2" nut (any size will do) on the drive centre, then place some padding between the nut and the base of the bowl.

This sort of acts like a universal joint and will compensate for any misalignment of centres.

This will only work with a cone live centre.

Cheers

Tim:U

Daddy3x
8th April 2009, 11:55 AM
Might I want to look closer into whether the floor is twisting the bed? A gap in the right corner would be the culprit as the tail center is in back of the drive center. I love your suggestion, ingenious. I have had two instances where the faceplate left a nice ring in the bottom, even taking extra precaution.
Scott

RETIRED
8th April 2009, 12:41 PM
I have used a Squash ball as well.

Tim the Timber Turner
8th April 2009, 03:02 PM
[]
I had used a Squash ball as well.

Painfull???:)(

joe greiner
9th April 2009, 12:28 AM
You may be begging for trouble, by reversing to make a transition from bottom to side. I (and some a lot more experienced than I) have learned the definition of grief by working a "little way up the sides" when finishing the bottom.

You may have better results by turning the entire outside in a single mounting, with a tenon or socket for the next. Then reverse mount to turn the inside. And then, reverse again to turn the bottom, and only turn the bottom. Each mounting may not be exactly centered with each other, but it doesn't matter unless the lathe is very seriously out of kilter.

From an expert funnel maker.:D

Cheers,
Joe

China
9th April 2009, 12:30 AM
Sounds to me like the bowl is slipping on the face plate

Daddy3x
9th April 2009, 04:01 AM
I have not used the chuck in a long time, instead using glue blocks after roughing between centers. I have officially made "lampshades" on my last three attempts, and it has gotten aggravating. More time and practice. The ring I found in the bottom had to have been slipping. I have been putting leaether on a waste block, followed by a single layer of paper towel inside in an attempt to keep the leather from marring the color. Maybe I will try not using the paper towel.
Scott

OGYT
9th April 2009, 12:06 PM
I have used a rubber Dek-tite... a rubber gizmo thats made for sealing around pipes, etc., where they extend through the roof. I just slip the Dek-tite over the face of a SN2 chuck. It works pretty well.