PDA

View Full Version : Swansdown Mop

Gumby
10th June 2004, 12:32 PM
Anyone use the ubeaut swansdown mop to do their polishing ? Mine gives a great finish but after a bit of use, the edges of the mop have hardened wax on them. Should I try and get this off or is it normal. Or maybe I should use a soft cloth to buff before I put the mop to work. Suggestions?

Bunyip
10th June 2004, 12:50 PM
Gumby,

I have only ever used mine for oil finishes - its a wee ripper.

Maybe you are applying wax too liberally, or there is too much wax residue? I only every use the mop as a final polish, after the arm has got a workout.

You may be able to remove some of the wax build-up by reconditioning using a hacksaw blade.

zitan
10th June 2004, 01:21 PM
Shouldn't the wax melt next time you use it?

I actually made my own buffing wheel/mop once. Got it perfectly concentric with a cheap bench plane. Wear a good respirator cos fluff shoots out the mouth like a buzzer with no extractor.

Wood Borer
10th June 2004, 01:22 PM
Gumby,

I use both of mine on wax but again only after elbow work. They work really well, I am glad Stoppers convinced me to buy them (BTW didn't take too much convincing).

- Wood Borer

Gumby
14th June 2004, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I had a chat to Neil the other day when I was ordering some Shellac and he suggested running it over some course sand paper. Thought I'd let you know.