PDA

View Full Version : Wanted dead or dying hercus's

bitza500
10th April 2009, 11:57 AM
Hi all, well as the unofficial supplier of Hercus parts I have now put to rest 4 Hercus 9" lathes and the parts are spread to every State except WA

I am now desperate for parts or a dead or dying Hercus 9" that have seen better days

I have been trying to contact Schools and see if they have any dead lathes

But have been told that the lathe even though dead must stay bolted until a new machine is supplied
This is mainly a Stocktake and red tape
I am not worried about condition or complete or incomplete

I have a limited budget thanks to a silent Partner who is also a Member of the Register without him all the parts that have left my garage would not have been possible
But I am hoping for help in 2 catagories
1. parts ,pieces dead or dying lathes
2. I need members to email me with a list of parts that they are chasing
so I can keep a first in get first preference on any of the parts needed

As 4 lathes have now been deceased ( Yes I know it is a Bloody Shame)
but as we have nearly 70 machines and very few places to buy parts and as I have now been classified by Centrelink as Unemployable (AGAIN)
and cannot get Insurance

I am stuck to doing what I can in the garage or my Mate's workshop remaking gears for the headstock plus selling bits that the Hippy has left over and been siting for years

But as the Budget is limited I am chasing the old School lathes the ones with the sledgehammer marks were the chucks have dropped many a time

Complete or incomplete I do not care as some of the requests are amazing as I have sold parts that do not wear and I thought unbreakable and as you 59 owners have been getting parts from somewhere or have damaged gears in the headstock you want fixed or just need a part

I am regearing Bullgears, Mainshaft pulley gears and both gears on the back gear I have limited stock of broken tooth parts which someone must have lying about as the more I can get the more I get on the shelf waiting to go

So any clues were a daggy old Hercus is or have you got any broken old gears lying around as well as the lower cross slide spindle as I can get new thread and make up new shafts by cutting and drilling and machining and using one worn spindle to fit a new piece of Acme thread so another new spare is available

I know I ramble on just ask all those who have come her to get parts but if I have to keep Blithering on about parts or old machines until I can find one well so be it

Hercus built over 15,000 9" lathes now not all are going to be still going and are in some shed gathering dust or is damaged I do not care as 75% of you members are restoring your lathes and need original parts

That is were I come in as well as starting this Register I am starting a Hercus Wrecking Garage I have stripped 4 lathes and now I do not have many parts plus I want busted Bullgears, mainshaft pulleys and backgears that are toothless that you threw under the bench 10years ago or have knowledge of a dead Hercus that is not worth rebuilding

All 4 lathes had worn or damaged beds I will not wreck a lathe that is in good condition I would rather sell it complete

So does anybody have a mate who has acess to old School lathes or just any Lathes as my parts are nearly zilch and will have to go hunting for another so any places I might try would be a great help

So I leave it to you 59 owners to help as I do this for free I keep the Register and I sell parts,now the prices vary on parts depending on how much I have to pay for the lathe I strip the parts I strip the paint of the castings to check they are not all bronzed up and are ready for paint
This is my life I cannot do anything as Workcover will not give me Insurance due to the wires in my spine

I do this as a NON PROFIT service but I have to get my money back

So please let me know what you have or what someone you know has and I will try and keep supplying parts

all the best Derek bitza500

[email protected]