PDA

View Full Version : Dieter Schmid

nik
10th June 2004, 05:40 PM
I would just like to recommend a fine tool shop in Germany called Dieter Schmid Fine Tools (www.finetools.de). For all that helped me with my initial enquiry about if I should buy from them I would like to thank you very much. I did order a few small items from them after all and the service was absolutely teriffic. My order was processed by the time i woke up the next morning (considering I sent it whilst it was night overthere) So next time you are looking for some new fine tools ave a look at them, they gave me better service than what i've recieved elsewhere. And I don't want to name names but i placed an order in australia at the same time and it wasn't processed for another 4 days. I could ave driven there and bought it quicker.

silentC
10th June 2004, 05:53 PM
Good one Nik. As it happens I have just enquired on a set of Two Cherries chisels that I'd like to get and I'm waiting for a reply. Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Bunyip
10th June 2004, 08:01 PM
... I have just enquired on a set of Two Cherries chisels that I'd like to get and I'm waiting for a reply ...

Silent

I am seriously considering obtaining a few Two Cherries chisels too. Am keen to hear about your experience with Dieter Schmidt too.

Bunyip

squizcat
10th June 2004, 08:12 PM
2 cents worth.. I bought a drawknife from them some time ago.. The postage was pretty steep and when it did arrive, the steel quality was poop.. Actually unusable on anything but green soft wood.. just the luck of the draw I guess :rolleyes:

craigb
10th June 2004, 09:54 PM
Squizcat,
Sorry to hear about your negative experience. Everybody else I've heard from seems to have a had a positive experience with DS.
I'm going to order my Two Cherries from them too when the time comes.

As an aside, I bought one of the chisels from The Woodworks when they were still in Gowings just to see what they were like before I jumped in.

They are a very nice chisel. Streets ahead of the Stanley and Marples I have.
I don't think that I will go for a set though, I think that I''ll probably just buy the most common sizes to start.

Craig

P.S. :D Darren, does your missus know that you are already planning a new purchase?

nik
11th June 2004, 08:16 AM
that's a shame to hear squizcat, just out of curiosity what brand was the drawknife?

And I too will be ordering a set of two cherries chisels from them in the near future. They must sell a hell of a lot of them if 4 out of 5 people (including me) that have replied to this thread have shown interest in those chisels. I have also seen similar chisels but made by Pfeil at dick gmbh, but they are much more expensive at 109euros and I have to pay an extra 20euros on top of the original price because of minimum order amount and then I have to add the shipping. Has anybody used the Pfeil chisels, what are they like? Does anybody think it's worth the extra money?

Nik.

silentC
11th June 2004, 09:29 AM
Darren, does your missus know that you are already planning a new purchase

Last night I told her she can get 'em for my birthday which is coming up. That idea was quickly destroyed and now lies mangled and bleeding on the lounge room floor. I think it may be a little while yet before I sample the wares of Dieter Schmidt & Co. :(

On the bright side, she did say she'd take me out for dinner :rolleyes:

squizcat
11th June 2004, 01:50 PM
Hi Nik,

It's a while ago, but think it was Sorby.. no Robert, just Sorby.. First thought was maybe Robert Sorby do a cheap gardening line under the name Sorby. It really is crap. A piece of mild steel with cheap nasty handles.

The Two Cherries chisels do like like a bargain though relative to USD prices for the same kit..

Cheers,

mat
6th July 2004, 02:22 PM
Nik

Did you get in with the under 2kg small parcel freight rate?

Zed
6th July 2004, 02:41 PM
the sites in german - is there a translation button on the page?

mat
6th July 2004, 02:44 PM
Scroll down - there is the word English with a British Flag - click there.

mat
6th July 2004, 04:44 PM
SilentC

Did you get a reply from Germany. What was the freight quoted for the two cherries set?

silentC
6th July 2004, 05:05 PM
Mat,

No they never bothered to reply. A bit disappointing actually. After my recent spending spree, I've not bothered to chase it up because I've no intention of buying anything at the moment. Maybe in a month or two when the chequebook has forgotten the pain :(

nik
6th July 2004, 06:15 PM
Mat, Last time I ordered I got the 5kg postage, and next time (when i get my chisels) I will probrobly be forced upto the next one because I'm gonna buy quite a few more things than expected. silentC, that's a shame to hear about them never sending you a reply. I know when I sent my first initial enquiry it was over a week before I decided to follow it back up and then I got a reply i think 2 days later, So yeah, i was a bit put off at start aswell, but after that, everything was smooth sailing for me.

But thanks mat for posting on this thread when you did, coz I've goto send off a enquiry for my next order, i would have completely forgotten about it until the day I wanted to make my order.

Good luck everybody (and that includes myself)

Nik

John Saxton
6th July 2004, 09:42 PM
Hi NIK,Guy's just chuck in another one here that I have dealt with for some time www.dick.biz and in fact have just received my set of Pfeil chisels along with a new catalogue 10days after ordering online.
Am always impressed with the service and until that changes will stay with them.
Cheers :)

nik
7th July 2004, 07:22 AM
Hey Johnno, Yeah, I've heard of Dick GmBH and I have their catalogue aswell. They do look like a very nice business with plenty of good tools (I was considering the pfeil chisels myself) but unfortunatly I just haven't gotten around to buying anything from them yet. I am interested in some of their knives, but i don't know how customs stand on importing knives. I've seen on the news heaps of stuff about customs stopping dangerous knives, so does anybody know any info about importing of knives? And by the way Johnno, 10 days shipping is great. When I ordered my catalogue from them I was really impressed coz it only took 5 days. So i'd say that i'll be ordering a few things from them in the future aswell. By the way, I got in contact with Dieter Schmid about my next order and he told me the Chisels are only 1.8 kg's, so I guess you could get them with the small parcell. Not too certain if it has insurance or not with the small parcell. Anyway, once again good luck.

Cya, Nik.

nik
7th July 2004, 07:33 AM
Hey SilentC, I was just looking at deiter schmid's website and they said that they had to close down one of their email addresses due to a sh#t load of spam (we all know the feeling) so that's probrobly why they didn't reply to you. When i sent my followup I sent it to another email address, and it worked fine.

Nik.

silentC
7th July 2004, 08:48 AM
No worries, thanks Nik. I must've missed that when I was on the site. I'll try again later on.

dieter
20th August 2004, 10:26 AM
2 cents worth.. I bought a drawknife from them some time ago.. The postage was pretty steep and when it did arrive, the steel quality was poop.. Actually unusable on anything but green soft wood.. just the luck of the draw I guess :rolleyes:
Why didn't you complain? I do not want that you spend money for crap. We test all our tools we sell. If the maker changes the quality, it can happen that minor quality goes through, as we do not test every delivery. In this case use our money back guarantee.

Dieter
www.fine-tools.com

nik
20th August 2004, 11:03 AM
Welcome to Australia Dieter. You probrobly remember who i am, I'm Nik, I ordered from you a few weeks ago. As you can probrobly see we've had a good discussion on you and your business. I myself was a bit suprised to hear about squizcat's problem, because I've had such success with doing business with you as with others on this forum. But i agree with you that sometimes poor quality can squeeze through the little gap. Just a personal question though, it must be like 1:00 in the morning over in Berlin at the moment. Am I right?

Nik.

dieter
23rd August 2004, 02:49 AM
Thank you for the welcome Nik. Of course I remember you. Yes is was in the night, when I stumbled over this nice and lively forum. I enjoyed it a lot.

Dieter

Welcome to Australia Dieter. You probrobly remember who i am. Just a personal question though, it must be like 1:00 in the morning over in Berlin at the moment. Am I right?

Nik.

squizcat
28th August 2004, 01:16 AM
Why didn't you complain? I do not want that you spend money for crap. We test all our tools we sell. If the maker changes the quality, it can happen that minor quality goes through, as we do not test every delivery. In this case use our money back guarantee.

Dieter
www.fine-tools.com

Folks (especially Nik),

I too am now a happy satisfied customer. Dieter took the time to look into my issue personally. His response was very prompt, positive and completely resolved my earlier complaint.

I look forward to ordering from www.fine-tools.com (http://www.fine-tools.com) in the near future. Ordering via mail is definitely a touchy feely thing until you develop confidence with the relevant supplier. Dieter has certainly restored my confidence.

Matt... :)

nik
5th September 2004, 07:28 AM
That's great to hear squizcat. I think it's things like that that make a business stand out amongst the others, even if they are in a different country.

Nik.

Two Cherries
27th September 2004, 07:17 PM
G'day,

You can buy Two Cherries (Kirschen) Chisels here in Australia. The Woodworks at Meadowbank in Sydney sells them over the internet via:

http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/. They also carry an extensive range in their shop.

Or if you would like to find a stockist nearer to you then drop me an email at:
[email protected] or call Sieper&Co on (02) 9748 0700.

If you have any questions on the Two Cherries Chisel range drop me an email.

Cheers !

Ed

silentC
28th September 2004, 09:34 AM
Ed,

Much as I'd like to support the locals, I can save myself $90 buying the set of 6 from Dieter and that includes shipping to Australia from Germany.

craigb
28th September 2004, 09:59 AM
Ed,

Much as I'd like to support the locals, I can save myself $90 buying the set of 6 from Dieter and that includes shipping to Australia from Germany.

Hear Hear

squizcat
20th October 2004, 08:37 PM
Bought one of the wooden jointers and various other things. Delivered in 13 days from ship date. Great price, fast friendly and knowledgable service and excellent followup/ total satisfaction on a dud product purchased previously. Look forward to buying from them again..

Two Cherries
16th November 2004, 11:31 AM
Hello,

You will now be able ALSO find the Two Cherries Products at 'Danahers Timber & Hardware' in Heidelberg, Victoria.

They can be contacted on (03) 9457 2645.

Ask for Brian who runs their Toolshop ..... he is very competitively priced and is expanding his KIRSCHEN stock regularly.

Cheers

Ed

Two Cherries
26th November 2004, 02:36 PM
Hello,

For those that are intersted "The Wood Works Book & Tool Co." in Meadowbank, NSW, have just discounted their KIRSCHEN (Two Cherries) Chisel Sets to $175 per set.

Call in an see Mike & Tony and talk to them about the other great products and services they provide.

You can find all their contact details at www.thewoodworks.com.au (http://www.thewoodworks.com.au)

Cheers,

Ed