PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Vac to power tools

Ben from Vic.
10th April 2009, 09:07 PM
First of all I'd like to thank the admins for making a Dust Extraction section in an effort to keep the weirdos out of General Population.:2tsup:

And now to the real reason for the thread, I've found that I can hook up to any power tool in the shed that has a round outlet by simply using the standard vacuum nozzle or a length of standard size pipe (o.d 40mm, i.d 31~mm) which the vacuum nozzle fits in the end of.

The pipe fits into the drop saw...

The nozzle fits into the jigsaw...

The pipe fits onto the router and even the really cheep borrowed sander...

Either I've been really lucky or I've stumbled onto the secret to all the different sized fittings. I'd be interested to hear if it works for others.

Ben.

Ben from Vic.
13th April 2009, 09:21 PM
No replies?

Another tip I forgot to add was that you can get a sleeve that goes over your vacuum hose that will smooth out the ridges and protect the edges of your work and help stop the hose catching. My sister has one over the hose of her ducted vac at her house, and I thought it'd be really handy in the shed.

Ben.

watson
13th April 2009, 09:32 PM
G'day Ben,
I like the second tip........not being into house work, I didn't know about them.
I run two dust systems. a 100mm system piped to a cyclone, and a 40mm system piped to a shop vac for portable tools.
The difference in nozzle sizes really gave me the "irrits", until I discovered toilet roll cardboard tubes take up the slack between a great number of Vac parts and 40mm pipe. A bit of epoxy and it really really sucks.
Same system really. Beauty.

mat
14th April 2009, 10:25 AM
Another good adapter system is provided by the clear plastic hose joiners sold at Bunnings. They look like a short length of thick walled clear plastic tube. Available in several sizes about 5-6 cms long

Barry_White
14th April 2009, 11:00 AM
Another way that I have found is various sizes of electrical conduit along with the various sizes of PVC waste water plumbing pipe all attached to my Sturdee design cyclone extractor.

justinmcf
15th April 2009, 10:59 PM
hi ben,

the 2 standard sizes for dust outlets on most power tools and vacs are....27mm and 36mm(inside dimensions). if you look at the dimensions you have given, 31mm and 40mm,(outside dimensions).

you will see that your stroke of luck has been working this out, congrats,

regards, justin.

Ben from Vic.
16th April 2009, 05:19 PM
At least I now have a few tips for if I find a power tool that doesn't fit my system.:rolleyes:

Thanks all.

groeneaj
8th June 2009, 07:21 PM
Hey guys!
I am a bit confused with one thing in paticular. I have just made a mini cyclone, except I have not purchased a hose to go into my power tools from the cyclone as the dust outlet on the tools differ. Do I just need one hose to go from the tool to the mini cyclone, then fiddle around at the tool end part of the hose to make it bigger/smaller? using things such as toilet roles, as mentioned above, or do i get a small cut of the correct fitting hose and attach it to the original hose that leads to the cyclone?
Not sure if i'm explaining myself. As you can see, i'm a beginner.

Thanks for your help
Much apreciated.
Andy

Ben from Vic.
8th June 2009, 07:34 PM
Do I just need one hose to go from the tool to the mini cyclone, then fiddle around at the tool end part of the hose to make it bigger/smaller? using things such as toilet roles, as mentioned above, or do i get a small cut of the correct fitting hose and attach it to the original hose that leads to the cyclone?

Er, what ever works??