PDA

View Full Version : Replacing wheel on shopping jeep

Tiger
11th April 2009, 08:13 AM
One of the back wheels on my mother's favourite shopping jeep has disintegrated. Given that it might be difficult to buy a replacement wheel, I'm thinking of turning a wooden wheel out of some plywood. Any thoughts on how it would stand up to the pressures of shopping?

artme
11th April 2009, 09:37 AM
Good idea! I would track down some suitable rubber and make a tyre for it to cut the sound and protect the timber.

Tiger
11th April 2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks Artme, good point about the sound, I never considered that, might use some inner tube from an old bike for the rubber.

masoth
11th April 2009, 09:55 AM
If I'm thinking straight there are two wheels, and I'd be inclined to replace both to avoid having to juggle the diameter (trying to match the existing/remaining one). As one has collapsed the other is likely to follow suit - soonish. This action would, possibly, correct any lack of 'roundness'.:?

soth

AlexS
11th April 2009, 10:01 AM
If she shops like my wife it would need to be industrial strength.:rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by a shopping jeep. Any chance of a pic?

Ed Reiss
11th April 2009, 12:25 PM
...shopping jeep? is that like a shopping cart?:?:B

Ashore
11th April 2009, 01:58 PM
Try supercheep they got all size wheels:2tsup:

Sturdee
11th April 2009, 02:43 PM
One of the back wheels on my mother's favourite shopping jeep has disintegrated.

At the last council hard rubbish collection I saw a couple of jeeps not far away from your place. :D Wait until the next one due in June/July and you'll find a few.

Peter.

Harry72
11th April 2009, 06:53 PM
Is that one of those pull along bag/cart things you see little old lady's towing home?

Sturdee
12th April 2009, 03:36 PM
Is that one of those pull along bag/cart things you see little old lady's towing home?

Yes and there are a few variations available there are the two wheel and four wheels variety and they can be either fixed or foldup.

My wife has one in the boot of her car and is the 2 wheel fold up type where even the wheels fold in so that it becomes a looks a normal shopping bag when folded up.

She uses it often when shopping and she is not an little old lady.:D

Peter.

DJ’s Timber
12th April 2009, 04:11 PM
She uses it often when shopping and she is not an little old lady.:D

Hmm :think: so are you saying she is big :o or she is young :;

Sturdee
12th April 2009, 05:39 PM
Hmm :think: so are you saying she is big :o or she is young :;

Whilst she is a petite size she is younger than me hence not a little old lady.:D

Peter.

Tiger
13th April 2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys, there isn't a hard waste around here for at least a couple of months but I did have some skate wheels which I drilled out so that they would fit on the jeep's axle.