PDA

View Full Version : Mikes Mystery Tool # 7

mike48
11th April 2009, 11:06 AM
Mikes Mystery Tool # 7

This little tool is rather "Industry Specific", but should be a memory lane item for some.

Thirty to forty years ago, this small tool was deemed to be essential.

This actual tool was purchased in 1977 in Brisbane.

Not used so often now, but still in my bench second top drawer.

Measures 80 mm long, and weighs 20 grm.

That is a drawing pin held in the "jaws".

Mystery tool lookers should remember the manufacturer also.

Mike

mic-d
11th April 2009, 11:37 AM
It looks like a small vice for soldering purposes, and the size of those jaw pads, maybe also a heat sink?
stab in the dark
Cheers
Michael

mic-d
11th April 2009, 11:46 AM
Just did a google image search for soldering heat sink and came up with a tool virtually identical to yours, so in answer to your second question, is it made by Radioshack?

Cheers
Michael

mike48
11th April 2009, 07:06 PM
Yes it is a Heat Sink Tool to stop a semiconductor device from being damaged by heat during the soldering process of PC board assembly.

It is used to grip the leg or wire "lead" of a semiconductor device during soldering, and to "sink" the heat more quickly to the thermal mass of the tool points which are normally made of copper or brass, rather than up the leg of the semiconductor.

Most semis are now a little more heat tolerant, and most people who solder these devices are taught to be very quick in the process to avoid damage.

Not made by Radioshack though.

Please keep trying.

Mike

joe greiner
11th April 2009, 10:41 PM
I don't think Radio Shack ever actually made anything, just a selling organization for products made by others, such as Tandy Corp. - their parent mob. Just a guess, of course.

Cheers,
Joe

AUSSIE
12th April 2009, 01:31 AM
I have several of them around somewhere,They were sold by near all electronics supply stores etc .That reminds me,i must dig out my supply of mini switches and resistors to sell Have some eproms as well

dr4g0nfly
13th April 2009, 08:43 AM
I've also got several laying around - and a pair of valve tongs!

mike48
23rd April 2009, 05:41 PM
This is an Xcelite model 80V Heat Sink Tool, and still available from Cooper Tools.

Mike

rotten_66
23rd April 2009, 05:54 PM
No it's not it's an olive pit remover for realy small olives.:q