PDA

View Full Version : Circular saw sharpener

chambezio
12th April 2009, 11:21 AM
How much do you spend on sharpening your tungsten tipped blades????
The last time I put in my 80 tooth X 10" cost me about $42.
Good old Ebay to the rescue.

I was a little sceptical as to whether or not this gizmo would do the job as the picture did it no justice to it at all. On a punt I went ahead with the "Buy Now" process and for $119 ,plus P&P, got this thing and it works really well!

It does not have a "brand" but one could safely say it has an Oriental origin (but so does a lot of branded stuff these days).

It will sharpen blades of 100mm to 400mm either tungsten or plain steel, It comes with a 100mm diamond wheel for TCT and a stone wheel for steel. The blade is held horizontal with a conical washer which keeps the blade centred, no matter what the bore of the blade is, you then swing the blade around to offer a flat tooth face to the grinding wheel, once you have locked it off you then swing into play a spring loaded paul which registers the tooth in the right place every time you advance the the blade to the next tooth.

The ginder can be adjusted to the existing angle of the tooth.There in keeping the initial itegrety and design of the tooth/blade.

When you are setting up the tooth to grinder part of the operation the amount that the grinder takes off is only a "kiss" at a time and that is nomally all you need ever do to make a TCT blade sharp again.

From here on its just a matter of pushing the grinder forward and back (its on a fixed pivot) a couple of times per tooth then advance to the next tooth grind it advance etc, etc until you finish, Its a good idea to mark the first tooth with a texta pen so you will know when you have finished

The grinder has a 150 watt motor which is ample for its job as I say you are only "kissing " the tooth not boring in with cannons firing.

So far, I have only sharpened a couple of blades but I am sure that with due care this machine will pay for itself in a short time and will deliver pleasing results.

When time permits I am going to investigate adapting the machine to sharpen router bits as well. So I"ll see how I go and post another thread about it.

I sought and received a spare diamond wheel for $16 plus P&P.

The seller goes under the name of "outbackjack" and the product name is TCT CIRCULAR SAW SHARPENER

:! Please note: the only attachment I have to this seller is that I was a buyer only and in no way have an affilliation to him. This Review is put out to share with like minded folk who like to save money and like to know whats availeable.

Happy Easter to ALL
Rod Chambers

PS I will endevour to enlist my IT daughter to take some pics and include them soon

bluegum30
12th April 2009, 06:58 PM
Sounds like a worthwhile tool to have because we seem to leave our tt saw blades in for too long,and at that price you only have to sharpen 3 or 4 and it would pay for itself like you said.:)Lloyd.

DJ’s Timber
12th April 2009, 07:16 PM
Sounds like this is the gizmo (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CIRCULAR-SAW-BLADE-SHARPENER-TUNGSTEN-%C3%A2%C2%99%C2%A6%C3%A2%C2%99%C2%A0HSS_W0QQitemZ230336194400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Power_Tools?hash=item230336194400&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318) you're talking about here, going for $119 too

Gaza
12th April 2009, 08:18 PM
looks like a copy of the makita unit.

glenn k
12th April 2009, 10:08 PM
I made a gig up to hold any size blade and use the chainsaw sharpener with the diamond blade that came with my Lucus Mill to sharpen any blade. Works well

DJ’s Timber
12th April 2009, 10:10 PM
I made a gig up to hold any size blade and use the chainsaw sharpener with the diamond blade that came with my Lucus Mill to sharpen any blade. Works well

Got a Pic of this gig Glenn?

glenn k
13th April 2009, 12:14 AM
It's a bit rough just a few of bits of 2 x 2" angle welded onto 4 x 2" RHS with a few holes drilled in it and a turned bit to hold the blades. This turned bit has to be moved for different diameter blades. Spent 1 1/2 hours trying to shrink photos.

DJ’s Timber
13th April 2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for that Glenn, gives me a good starting point on making one for myself :H

Stewey
2nd February 2011, 12:49 PM
I went & got one via Dealsdirect dot com.

Wow! The service & packaging were good.
The machine, well, it's wobbly & out of square.
The booklet is more if an assembly guide than an instruction book, as it's woeful, in my opinion.
I set it up & sharpened a 9 1/4" blade OK, but it took more common sense than instructions. Don't consider putting it together unless you're in a good mood!
Throw away the cheap spanners that come with it & get a couple of decent ones that actually fit the bolts or nuts.
There are some spare washers I haven't yet figured a use for on this machine.

I think I'll make a jig for just 10", 9 1/4 & 7 1/4" blades & use that, as the variability of all options on this machine is room for errors.

The spring-loaded clip to stop the next tooth is pretty inaccurate I found, & it worked better if I moved it right away & brought the saw teeth to the gringing wheel, rather than the opposite.

The body-tilt angle markers are not much use, as the pointer is not fixed-it swings happily wherever you put it.

I am content with it -just- but only because of the price $89 + 9 post- and still wonder if I'd have been better sending the blades away to a professional instead, or buying a couple of new ones...

I think it has some potential, but in trying to fit such a range, it leaves sloppy room for inaccuracies or maybe that's just poor manufacture?

I did buy a chainsaw charpener from the same mob a year ago & it's been great in comparison.

China
2nd February 2011, 09:52 PM
As said above sounds like a copy of the Makita if it is the one I think it is then don't waste you money I would not use it even if I was given one, it may look like the Makita but it does not perform like the Makita

Superbunny
17th February 2011, 09:39 PM
I did a quick search for the Makita and did not find it, anything but, can someone help please.:D:D

SB

powderpost
17th February 2011, 10:03 PM
Try a search for Makita 9803.
Jim

China
17th February 2011, 10:35 PM
The Makita is to my knowlege no longer in production