PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Gouge

antman
11th June 2004, 10:33 AM
Hi all,
The time has come to purchase another lathe chisel! (Or should I say I am allowed to buy one :D ) I am looking to buy my first bowl gouge but was wondering which size would be the best. I am interested to hear what size bowl gouge is the most 'general purpose' for all of you out there. I am mainly fiddling with smallish bowls of around 150-200mm dia. Is a bigger gouge better? Should I not bother with a gouge and stick to the 1/2 " scapper I already have?
Any suggestions would be welcome!
Anthony

gatiep
11th June 2004, 11:31 AM
The most widely used bowl gouge is the 13 mm / 1/2 inch. Can be used on smallish to large bowls.
Cya
Joe

Cliff Rogers
11th June 2004, 02:47 PM
G'day.

There are a couple of articles on this site, one of them is still under construction but both are worth a look....
http://www.woodturningplus.com/bowl_gouge.htm

There are heaps more woodworking/woodturning articles here...
http://www.woodturningplus.com/articles.htm

Jim Carroll
11th June 2004, 11:16 PM
One thing to take into account when someone tells you they have a particular size gouge is the brand.
P & N size their tools from the outside of the material , English brands size their from the width of the flute. The most common size bowl gouge is a 12mm 1/2" P&N which relates to a 10mm, 3/8" in hamlet or Robert Sorby .

rsser
12th June 2004, 08:30 AM
The most versatile gouge I have is a Henry Taylor 3/8" superflute. This has a varying radius flute, so you can take fine cuts with its bottom and heavier ones with the wings. The quality of the steel seems to me to be better than that of the Sorby (I have several tools from each).

The Woodsmith in Melbourne still sells them unhandled I think, so you can save a few bucks and make your own.

Bigger is not definately better, since that means a longer bevel that gives problems when you're 'turning the corner' as you get to the bottom of the bowl.

There's a bit of learning to do on using a gouge so consult a book or an expert, but once you're slicing with one you'll never hollow with a bowl scraper again.

Cheers,

Ern

Jeff
13th June 2004, 02:15 AM
I agree with the other posts approving the 3/8" guage as a great all around tool. The reasons pointed out by RSSER are right on the mark, especially about turning the corner. As you use the guage you'll learn a lot about how your roundnose scraper can benefit from modifying its' shape to also have a variable curve. I also reccomend classes for a novice.