PDA

View Full Version : Deep flute gouge

thefixer
13th April 2009, 11:18 PM
I got the OK on Saturday from the minister for fun, recreation and finances to stock up on a few necessities to keep my addiction going. First stop, Carbatec in Clayton for a new live centre and a new white wheel for the grinder. While we there I noticed a pile of Hamlet chisels on a clearance table and began to drool profusely. In firm but affectionate tone she said "you can have 1". My first Hamlet, woo hoo, a 3/8", deep flute ASP HSS2 gouge. Also got the live centre, some pen kits, a couple of acrylic blanks for the young bloke and completely forgot about the white wheel.:( This is the most expensive chisel I have by far and it didn't take long to find out why. It turns all timber into cheese compared to what I have been using until now. And wow, does it hold an edge. I have made nothing with it yet but there is about 2 cubic metres of shavings around the lathe:D This tool is now my new best friend.

Cheers
Shorty

Ed Reiss
13th April 2009, 11:53 PM
...nice of the missus to indulge your addiction, Shorty:cool:

DJ’s Timber
13th April 2009, 11:54 PM
Haven't got one of those or any of their bowl chisels but know what you mean by the difference between using a normal run of the mill chisel as opposed to one that is expensive and holds an edge.

It is a great feeling isn't it when the curlies are flying and keep doing so for a long time, brings a big smile to the dial doesn't it :U

Sawdust Maker
14th April 2009, 11:24 AM
happy days :2tsup:

nothing better then making curlies "because you can" :D

orificiam
15th April 2009, 09:54 PM
Very nice Shorty --I'll have to remember to take SWMBO with me next time I visit Jim.:wink:
Cheers Tony.:):)

munruben
16th April 2009, 10:33 AM
Good purchase, I have 6 of the Hamlet tools and they are really great.