PDA

View Full Version : Knifemaker looking for timber to swap

paternoster
14th April 2009, 11:34 AM
I'm just starting out as a knifemaker (basically practicing different techniques and making knives for close friends and family) and I'd be interested in sourcing some offcuts of some decent hardwood to use for handle material.
I'm willing to pay but I'm still trying to keep my costs down as I'm yet to charge for a knife, so there's no profit involved.
I've got a few bits ringed myall which is proving to be my favourite wood so far and I paid through the nose for a chunk of curly birch, but I'm keen to experiment with different timbers in each knife. I'm up to my ears in jarrah floorboard offcuts but they're not really thick enough to make decent scales.
The sort of sizes I'm looking for are 12x3.5x1cm for scales (a scale goes on a full tang knife - one piece on each side of the tang) and 12x3.5x2.5 for blocks.
If anyone's able to help out I'd really appreciate any assistance.

If you're curious about my knifemaking progress I've been blogging here (http://obsidianrabbit.blogspot.com/)

robyn2839
14th April 2009, 07:44 PM
pm me an address and when i get to the shed i will hunt some out for you ,am sure i have some timbers to suit you that you will love ...........bob

Johncs
15th April 2009, 11:50 AM
The sort of sizes I'm looking for are 12x3.5x1cm for scales (a scale goes on a full tang knife - one piece on each side of the tang) and 12x3.5x2.5 for blocks.
If anyone's able to help out I'd really appreciate any assistance.

I take it if I found you a piece of Tuart, you could cut it to size? I gather it's harder and heavier than Jarrah, and that it would sharpen up your skills.

paternoster
15th April 2009, 12:39 PM
Hi John,

The heavier and harder the better! If you've got some I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands. If you PM me your address I'll send you an express post bag.

Simon

Oh, and yeah, I can cut to size.

DJ’s Timber
15th April 2009, 01:28 PM
I can supply you with some Redgum as pictured in my Avatar over there :aro-l:, also have some Yellowbox with fiddleback and some Sheoak.

Redgum is dry, Yellowbox depending on sizes might be dry and Sheoak should be very close to dry.

If you're interested send me a PM with details and we'll work out a deal :2tsup:

paternoster
15th April 2009, 01:46 PM
I just want to say a big thanks to the guys that have responded so far! It's great to be able to put yourself out there and hear back so quickly.

Enfield Guy
15th April 2009, 07:20 PM
I have a sh*t load of Qld Walnut I can cut up for you for a reasonable price. Happy to send a few samples if you like. Some is very pretty when polished up. It's also hard and heavy.

Cheers
Bevan

DJ’s Timber
16th April 2009, 01:44 AM
I have had Simon here tonight and we ended up having a good sort through some of my stock and a good discussion on various type of timber and steel as well.

Here is a shot of him and his mate Stu with some of my timber in his boot before they left.

Sawdust Maker
16th April 2009, 02:29 PM
What's that timber in his left hand? Looks familiar but I just cant place it :doh:

paternoster
16th April 2009, 02:56 PM
DJ's the man! I left the house wondering if I needed to take a small shopping bag for a couple of offcuts and ended up with several armloads of beautiful timber.
Ended up being a dangerous journey - turns out I'm now buying a few nice desk sized slabs and a block for my anvil. Well worth the visit.

Thanks again DJ! Thanks for the beer too.

Simon

paternoster
16th April 2009, 02:59 PM
Hey Enfield Guy. You able to PM me with a price? A couple of samples would be great. I wouldn't be looking to buy a massive qty but a few kilo's worth would be good.

Johncs
16th April 2009, 03:31 PM
Hi John,

The heavier and harder the better! If you've got some I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands. If you PM me your address I'll send you an express post bag.

Simon

Oh, and yeah, I can cut to size.

Check your email. I'll cut length, if needed, to fit the bag. There are two pieces, one 75x50x411, the other 100x50x480. The second has some sap runs.

paternoster
16th April 2009, 03:35 PM
Much appreciated John. I'll send the bag out in the post tonight. Happy for it to be cut to get it into the bag.

Simon

Stef
20th April 2009, 04:53 PM
I have sent you a PM with my details, if you send me an express post bag i would be happy to send you some Cooktown Ironwood (also known as Red Ebony).

You said the harder the wood the better, well this stuff is certainly up there.

Good luck with it all and how about posting up some pics in this thread when you get something finished.

Cheers

Knotman
20th April 2009, 08:40 PM
Simon,
I have some turpentine that has weathered for 100 years. Pretty hard stuff. Happy to pass some on for you to try.

Darren
Mt Evelyn

robyn2839
21st April 2009, 12:24 PM
posted yours today, had to take half out at the post office,so if you want more specis i have plenty send a snail mail red bag and will send more.bob

paternoster
22nd April 2009, 09:41 AM
Hi Darren,

That would be great. I'm in Forest Hill so I can drive over and pick it up if that's easier than mailing it.

paternoster
22nd April 2009, 02:46 PM
posted yours today, had to take half out at the post office,so if you want more specis i have plenty send a snail mail red bag and will send more.bob

Thanks Bob. I might just take you up on that. I got the express post bag today - timber looks great. But knowing nothing about different species I have no idea what's in there. One of them is labelled as wattle so that sorts that one out, but I'm not sure about the others. Do you remember what you put in?

44Ronin
22nd April 2009, 03:10 PM
paternoser I have some curly eucalyptus..similar to this...

http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/Pictures/Wood-Stab/12307-s.jpg

Tell me what you think

paternoster
22nd April 2009, 04:03 PM
44Ronin, that looks really good - and I'd love to take some off your hands if you have some spare. If you PM me your address I'll send you an express post bag.
Cheers
Simon

funkychicken
27th April 2009, 10:28 PM
My 3kg satchel was sent off today

weisyboy
27th April 2009, 10:53 PM
if ya send me a 3kg bag ill happily fill it with ofcuts that will suit you.:2tsup:

pm sent.

moikel
27th April 2009, 11:33 PM
Did you see the show on the ABC a while back about different artisans in Tas.There was a knife maker who lived near Hobart who used all sorts of timber & made great knives. I have one I bought in Port Douglas handle is swamp oak,made there but couldnt find him again when I went back last year.

greens
14th August 2009, 04:08 AM
OK knifemaker.
I have 2 knives I bought in Bali about 12 years ago.
Hand-forged and best knives I've ever had.
Use daily.
Handles are almost falling apart, but I just cannot stop using them.
Would find it hard to part with them, but need new beautiful and comfortable/solid handles.
Could you help?

paternoster
14th August 2009, 11:46 AM
Hi Greens,

Sure, I can help. Just send me a PM and we'll go from there.

greens
14th August 2009, 07:25 PM
and what is a PM?
Excuse my ignorance.

:)

Travis Edwards
23rd October 2009, 07:24 PM
and what is a PM?
Excuse my ignorance.

:)

if ya click on his name you should be able to send him a Personal Message ...PM.

I also make knives and have some nice timber to handle them with including osage orange, sheoak, silky oak, redgum....etc.etc.