PDA

View Full Version : Which one 2 go 4?

Handy Person
11th June 2004, 03:45 PM
I've used a router only once and I like it. In the next few months I'll be looking to purchase a top-end router. I've narrowed down the field to 4 models

Triton
Dewalt DW625E
Hitachi M12V
Makita 3612C

As far as i'm aware they are all 2000+ watts, soft start, variable speed with load speed adjusting. Please correct me if wrong.

What are the pros and cons between these models? Why would you buy one over the other if you had a choice? Anything else you can think of.

It will be mounted in a Triton router table with stand for the majority of its use. In time i'll most likely build a router table to my liking too.

I have searched past posts and there are tid bits about various models but not enough to make any sort of informed decision for myself. That's why i've started this thread.

I look forward to your posts. :)

PS. When typing then deleting, this forum text box delets 2 characters back and it's really annoying :mad: . Anyone else have this problem?

Template Tom
11th June 2004, 03:57 PM
Hi Handy person

If you are to use the router exclusively in the router table the Triton is the best bet. If you wish to use the plunge mode then Makita or Hitachi are my recomendations. If you have not paid a visit to my home page I will enclose the site
www.wa1.quik.com.au/tod
You may get some more answers there Too much to write up as a posting
Tom

silentC
11th June 2004, 04:54 PM
HP,

This topic has been covered a number of times. If you try a search for some of the model numbers there you'll find numerous threads and opinions. Here's a recent one (it was a poll, so you can even see which ones are the most popular amongst visitors):

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=7346

PS. When typing then deleting, this forum text box delets 2 characters back and it's really annoying . Anyone else have this problem?

Not me. What OS/Browser are you using? Sure your finger doesn't have a stutter? ;)

Zed
11th June 2004, 05:00 PM
triton . definatley. done some research and its the gear baby!!!

squizcat
11th June 2004, 05:11 PM
Absolutley, if it's going in a table, choose the Triton. I've got both the Hitachi and The Makita and will probably buy the Triton for the convenience of above table blade changing. The Makita and Hitachi function more like they were designed for the manufacturers, while the Triton seems to be designed for the user..

Geoff Sims
11th June 2004, 06:40 PM
Absolutely no contest. If the router is going to be used in the table, the Triton is definitely the go.

I also have the Hitachi which I think is better for plunge mode, but in the table it's not user friendly.

Cheers

Template Tom
11th June 2004, 07:14 PM
Absolutley, if it's going in a table, choose the Triton. I've got both the Hitachi and The Makita and will probably buy the Triton for the convenience of above table blade changing. The Makita and Hitachi function more like they were designed for the manufacturers, while the Triton seems to be designed for the user..
There is no doubt the Triton is better in the table. The makita were designed for the user when used in the plunge mode where the Triton was designed for the router table

Template Tom
11th June 2004, 07:19 PM
Absolutely no contest. If the router is going to be used in the table, the Triton is definitely the go.

I also have the Hitachi which I think is better for plunge mode, but in the table it's not user friendly.

Cheers
The Hitachi router certainly is good especially when it comes to setting the plunge depths. Unlike the Makita the depth stop mechanism is not positive as it is dependant on friction to maintain the depth of cut.

Handy Person
12th June 2004, 12:28 AM
Wow! What a great response in such a short time.

Looks like it'll be Triton in the triton table. Hitachi the right way up.

Deleting is still bugging me to no end and i've made sure my finger aint stutterin' ;)

Sprog
12th June 2004, 01:15 AM

The Triton works great hand held also.

I have really bad arthritis in my hands and have no trouble using the Triton router hand held.

This is one dream router.

Carl
12th June 2004, 04:12 AM
I also understand the Triton has a number of safety features that the others don't. I may be wrong on this point, just going by hearsay from a mate. I too had been juggling between the Triton and Hitachi but think I will go for the Triton in response to the above messages in regards to table mounting. Just wondered if anyone could tell if there's any noticeable difference in the noise between the Hitachi M12V and the Triton? ( Yeah, I know this has been raised before but I'm not sure if anyone has actually said "yes there is a difference")
Regards,
Carl

Ian007
12th June 2004, 06:57 AM
handy person,

router as above
but it is time for you buy a new keyboard :o

Handy Person
12th June 2004, 08:21 AM
Wow! What a great response in such a short time.

Deleting is still bugging me to no end and i've made sure my finger aint stutterin' ;)

chris_hewett
12th June 2004, 09:53 PM
You will soon find that switching the router from table to handheld use will become tiresome. I would suggest that you look at purchasing your router as if it were the first of two (or more), one for use in the router table and one handheld. I do not own one, but the Triton looks to be very suitable for table use. For hand use you may wish to look at some of the less powerful models. I have the smaller Festool for hand use and it is a wonderful router, smooth and quiet and a delight to use. The only downside is that it has a 1/4 inch collet, though Festool has come out with a new larger version that may also be worth looking at.

Piego
13th June 2004, 02:15 AM
I must admit with Chris & everybody else the triton for the table and a lighter one for above ,The triton is designed to be in a table with plenty of guts.

Cheers
Piego