PDA

View Full Version : Burl Bowl

bowl-basher
14th April 2009, 09:34 PM
Hi All:wavetowel2:
I have had this lump of burl sitting on the shelf for about 12 months and finaly got the guts to have a go at it
In the rough state it was shaped like a helmet and was hollow from the cut face. The bark was the first thing to leave (change of undies No1) I am not sure if I have taken the inside deep enugh but it was getting a bit scarey :oo::oo:at the bottom especialy as the tennon had a bit missing and I was not sure if the whole thing was going in to orbit (got more than enugh holes in the shed as is) The dia is 200mm X 120 high and 70 deep from the rim..sanded to 400 and finished at the moment with 3 coats of Danish oil
I will give it a couple more coats and a buff in a few days time
Look forward to your comments particualy on the depth of the bowl
Regards Bowl-Basher

orificiam
14th April 2009, 09:43 PM
That is one beautiful Bowl B/B I'm surprised it didn't come flying of the lathe you're a brave man. I'm not sure I'd gone that deep.I like the bottom part of the Bowl and am glad you left it natural and didn't fill it up.:2tsup: :2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

Ed Reiss
15th April 2009, 01:37 AM
...man, BB, looks like you bashed the hell out of that one side :o:D:D

Hard to tell from the pics just how deep you went, however looks like a real good job of turning a challenging piece :2tsup::2tsup:

...what kind of wood is that:?

robutacion
15th April 2009, 01:55 AM
Hi All:wavetowel2:
I have had this lump of burl sitting on the shelf for about 12 months and finaly got the guts to have a go at it
In the rough state it was shaped like a helmet and was hollow from the cut face. The bark was the first thing to leave (change of undies No1) I am not sure if I have taken the inside deep enugh but it was getting a bit scarey :oo::oo:at the bottom especialy as the tennon had a bit missing and I was not sure if the whole thing was going in to orbit (got more than enugh holes in the shed as is) The dia is 200mm X 120 high and 70 deep from the rim..sanded to 400 and finished at the moment with 3 coats of Danish oil
I will give it a couple more coats and a buff in a few days time
Look forward to your comments particualy on the depth of the bowl
Regards Bowl-Basher

Hi BB

That's a heck of a chunk of wood...:o
Is that a burl or is a piece of Rose/Pink gum from close to the butt or from close to a previously remove (broken) large branch? Some of our rose gum has exactly the same colours, crystals and outer skin, sapwood colour/texture.

In regards to the bowl depth, and looking at the profile of the last pic, I don't think that it would be too smart to get any further, as the wall thickness at the thinner part is not any more than a few m/m.
When working with solid embedded crystals on such wood, one can never the sure when it lets go, so considering the amount of it on that beautiful piece, you were lucky that you manage to finish it, without becoming UFO's.

Would you admit/confirm that most of that piece was cut on low speeds?:wink:

Well done.
Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Rum Pig
15th April 2009, 08:57 AM
Nice bowl:2tsup:
I have not had a go at any burls yet. Sorry 1 pen and that did not end well:~ So you have my full respect for not only having a go but finishing in one piece:U
I would also like to know what timber it is (if you know) it looks a lot like iron wood.

bowl-basher
15th April 2009, 09:00 AM
Hi BB

That's a heck of a chunk of wood...:o
Is that a burl or is a piece of Rose/Pink gum from close to the butt or from close to a previously remove (broken) large branch? Some of our rose gum has exactly the same colours, crystals and outer skin, sapwood colour/texture.

In regards to the bowl depth, and looking at the profile of the last pic, I don't think that it would be too smart to get any further, as the wall thickness at the thinner part is not any more than a few m/m.
When working with solid embedded crystals on such wood, one can never the sure when it lets go, so considering the amount of it on that beautiful piece, you were lucky that you manage to finish it, without becoming UFO's.

Would you admit/confirm that most of that piece was cut on low speeds?:wink:

Well done.
Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Thanks George
I think you may be correct about it being rose gum.. and it was a branch burl you can see a bit of the old branch in the foot. pic 1 at the bottom shows it best turning speed was fairly low as the peice never came in to full balance due to the natural "dent" on one side You are correct in the fact that the wall thickness at the "dent" is about 4-5mm sure was fun
Bowl-Basher

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th April 2009, 03:39 PM
I can see why you were worried about it going for a spin around the shed.

It looks good - with that inclusion in the base I reckon you did well. :2tsup:

artme
15th April 2009, 05:40 PM
Great chunk of burl!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ugly and useless as a bowl. Send it to me for conversion to pen blanks.:p:D

bowl-basher
16th April 2009, 09:02 AM
Great chunk of burl!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ugly and useless as a bowl. Send it to me for conversion to pen blanks.:p:D

There were several times during the "making" of the monster that I was tempted to do just that:D:D:D

Sawdust Maker
16th April 2009, 09:06 AM
great effort
you're a braver man then me :q

I probably would have cut it up for pen blanks, but look what I would have missed out on :doh:

Farnk
16th April 2009, 04:19 PM
A most meritorious venture indeed!
Good work mate, as the large dent in the shed wall directly behind my lathe, and the large abrasions on my wrist and chest (at the time) attest, these can be tricky buggers!

Good outcome, and one you'll always look back on with pride.:2tsup:

Pens?:U BAH!