PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Anyone?

BoomerangInfo
14th April 2009, 10:19 PM
OK, I had to do it. Here's my own, home made Coffee Bean blank.

Caused me a few more headaches than I imagined. I didn't stablize the beans (since I don;t have any wood hardener), and they didn't stick that well to the resin, and so they were literally flying out of the blank when I started turning.

Sharp, sharp, sharp tools ar ein order, and a softly, softly approach. The gouge just ate through the blank at a great rate of knots. Went through 3 tubes of CA turninging, then sealing as I went. Finally, the beans on the ends stuck to the bushes and I couldn't get one bush off without maiing a mess, so there was a bit of filling involved,

I'm surprised the end result seems have turned out OK. I have two more of this batch made up ready to try again from the start, with some of my new-found wisdom on turning Coffee Bean blanks.

You reckon soaking in stabiliser first would help the next lot?

Russell.

poulso
14th April 2009, 10:28 PM
Looks pretty good to me Russell :2tsup:

jcostab
15th April 2009, 09:01 AM
They look great to me! I'd love to give it a try one day, and I've seen some resin at Bunnings, but how do you get it to turn that white "milky" colour?
Cheers,
John

BoomerangInfo
15th April 2009, 11:31 AM
They look great to me! I'd love to give it a try one day, and I've seen some resin at Bunnings, but how do you get it to turn that white "milky" colour?
Cheers,
John

You need a pigment of some sort. There are special resin pigments, but others have had success with things such as acrylic paints etc. You have to be careful of the water content though, as PE resin doesn't like water.

Russell

NewLondon88
15th April 2009, 12:44 PM
You have to be careful of the water content though, as PE resin doesn't like water.

True. Alumilite is even worse.. a few drops of water will make it foam.
Then you wouldn't have coffee blanks.. it would be cappuccino

pugwash
15th April 2009, 12:48 PM
Look good to me Boomer. Maybe a creamier white would look even better?

BoomerangInfo
16th April 2009, 07:48 AM
Look good to me Boomer. Maybe a creamier white would look even better?

I tried to add some brown swirls as well to give it a more "coffee" look, but they seem to have vanished. Was going to make it a light brown, but wasn't sure if that'd wash out the contrast with the beans or not.

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
16th April 2009, 01:50 PM
nice effort :2tsup: