PDA

View Full Version : FRAMING QUIZ for 11 June 04

Ralph Jones
11th June 2004, 09:41 PM
Good Evening Friends,
When framing in a deck and you have to frame a stair opening, how many double joists and headers do you need to frame?

Respectfully, :)

craigb
11th June 2004, 10:02 PM
I don't know, I leave it to the carpenter. That's what I'm paying him for. :cool:

journeyman Mick
11th June 2004, 11:17 PM
How long is a piece of string? :confused:
How do you frame a stairway opening in a deck? :confused:
Same answer: It all depends. Parallel to joists or bearers? (or at some other angle - done those too), stringers bolted to a wall? supported by extra posts? single flight or two at 180 degrees to each other with a landing? are the stairs an afterthought on a deck that's built to the max. span the tables will allow or is the deck over engineered and won't need a load of extra framing. Or maybe it's been planned from the start and the draughtsman has thoughtfully designed the opening to be trimmed out with an extra bearer. Domestic or commercial application? Cyclonic or non-cyclonic area? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Nowadays the answer is always the same, I build it how the plan says :p . You've got no plan? :eek: Sorry, I don't want to get sued if something goes wrong, get an engineered plan and I'll build you your stairs.

Mick

Ralph Jones
12th June 2004, 10:39 AM
Good Morning Friends,
When framing a deck and framing in a stair well the length should be 2.4384 metres by 0.9144 metres, also allowing for the thickness of the wall covering, ( drywall or any other wall covering.)

There should be double joists on each side of the opening and two headers the same as the joists timbers. One pair on each end of the opening.

Thank you for your support.

Respectfully, :)

Tonz
12th June 2004, 09:54 PM
Ralph, why don't you just say 8' x 3'. We know what you mean even if you are using imperial terms. There's not a lot of point in going to the effort of directly converting your imperial answer to metric for our benefit if you end up with weirdo numbers.

The truth is if the US was metricated and the same code was in metric instead of imperial then it most likely would have stated the length to be something like 2.5m by 1m.