PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Furniture Officiandos - Help me fulfill my potential

erikus
15th April 2009, 03:39 PM
To the best community of the web

My name is Erik and I'm looking for a furniture making or cabinet making business within striking distance of the Byron Bay region (perhaps Brisbane / Gold Coast down to Coffs Harbour) who would be interested in taking on an apprentice / trainee.
I would like to study the Certificate III in Furniture Making (Cabinet Making) course at the Gold Coast TAFE with an employers support.

Although I'd be a late starter in this particular field at 36 I wouldn't exactly be a total beginner either and hope that I may gain experience credits to complete the course more quickly.
I have previously worked as a freelance prototyper on diverse projects from resin packaging bottles and jewellery display cabinets to washing machines and interactive touchscreen kiosks so already have some design and making skills and materials knowledge. I have experience in 2 and 3d design at industrial and graphic design based businesses along with 3 years project management experience delivering large scale projects to multi national clients.

But it is furniture / cabinetry that excites me and I just want to create top quality, beautiful work that I can be proud of and I know I would be capable.
My work ethic is strong and I have a CV and excellent references ready to send.

If you have an opportunity or know anyone in the industry who may be able to assist or offer suggestion I'd be very appreciative.

Very Best Regards

Erik

masoth
15th April 2009, 04:59 PM
Probably a tough time to be hunting this type of position, Erik. But good luck with the chase. As, perhaps, a last resort you might select businesses from the yellow pages directory and forward an enquiry detailing your experience, which by the way, is enviable.:2tsup:

soth

erikus
15th April 2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks Masoth

Indeed it may be a tough time but I am not easily disheartened; besides it has to happen one way or the other. Thanks for the comment on experience, sometimes it does feel that everyone else is ahead. I guess everyone has a different story. My route will be unconventional but it will be my route nonetheless.
:)
Erik