PDA

View Full Version : Leda 15" thicknesser and 8" jointer

Ian007
12th June 2004, 08:13 AM
I brought yesterday from leda a 15" thicknesser. this machine is the same one carbatec are selling in this years cataloge for $1195 I paid $1170 at leda no freight and the good thing is that leda are in adelaide if there are any warranty issues
i have put this together and it seems quite good, but dam heavy. packaging was very good with a steel skid and steel in the box to protect in transit.

in testing the machine i was able to take 5.5mm off a 6" wide piece of pine in a single pass and it didnt seem to even blink, i did have a little snipe on another board so i will do some resetting today. in the instruction book there are some pictures for the setup etc, one of them shows this machine badged as a Delta. i found that interesting. bty the machines are both badged as wellington woodworking machines new zealand. i was told that this is because carbatec has the aussie rights to import here from china so they have to bring in via new zealand. ????. very strange/ who cares.

I was also able to buy an 8" jointer for the same price i have started to assemble this and will finish it today. once again very heavy, the overall length is 1943mm. in general looks to be ok as far as setting things up and looks like the the only problems i am going to have is moving everything in the workshop so it all fits.

will post more when i have finished

cheers Ian :)

Ian007
13th June 2004, 11:15 PM
have finished setting up the planner and it works a treat. as does the thicknesser.
both the planner and the thicknesser look the same as carbatec units and a search of the delta website shows that they sell the same machines badged as there own, who knows how many others also do the same?
was told by Leda that the factory where they come from is deltas factory in china.

cheers Ian

Kev-in Melb
7th August 2004, 06:55 PM
Ian,

I got both these machines from Leda about six months ago, except that I got the 5hp three phase 15" thicknesser. All I can say is "fantastic" very happy with both.

Someone did inform me the other day that they are out of the Delta factory.

Enjoy!

outback
7th August 2004, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. I really really want jointer thicknesser, I'll probably have to go with a combo unit, but I've heard a bit of good about Leda stuff. When $$$$ allow I'll surely give them a bell.

sinjin1111
2nd March 2005, 01:17 PM
Hi guys i have just bought similar machines. But i went to the effort of putting them a roller frame. Very sexy yellow polyurethane wheels. So i can wheel them around the INSIDE of my house. I'm single so i don't have the probs of a wife telling me i can't do it!...lol Incase you are wondering about the point floor loading. I sanded all the existing boards flat then covered them all with 7mm ext grade ply then i used Sydney blue gum and secret nailed the floor boards. The floor is around 51mm thick but a ceiling height of 11' it makes little different, but what you get is a dead flat floor with no cupping due to moisture differential. And Sydney blue gum makes Jarah seem like balsa wood.
What i'm actually doing in renovating an old 100 yr old place. To have these machines it just great. I bought a pile of second hand WRC used for a pool sideing. They were 2.7m long 150mm x 100mm for $15 each. They really are very average grade. But once dressed up and a little care in selection i have made 3 Victorian windows. So far my 8" owes me nothing. The thicknesser is due in about 2 weeks when i pick it up.
Sinjin