PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - What to do about Burl inclusions

efgee88
15th April 2009, 10:50 PM
I'm working on a yellowbox burl that has some major inclusions in it. What is the best way to treat and finish these inclusions. They are too big to fill and I wanted to leave them anyway. But what is the best way to clean them? I've been using an old toothbrush to get the dust out as much as possible, but it really needs more severe scraping. Any ideas?

I haven't started on the hollowing yet - I guess that's going to be the scary bit!

Cheers,
FrankG

robutacion
16th April 2009, 12:40 AM
I'm working on a yellowbox burl that has some major inclusions in it. What is the best way to treat and finish these inclusions. They are too big to fill and I wanted to leave them anyway. But what is the best way to clean them? I've been using an old toothbrush to get the dust out as much as possible, but it really needs more severe scraping. Any ideas?

I haven't started on the hollowing yet - I guess that's going to be the scary bit!

Cheers,
FrankG

Hi Frank,

Well, the best way would be sand-blasting, not the commercial blusters but the small ones that look like a painting gun and can be connected to a small compressor. A water pressure washing gun can clean it also, but you have to let it dry before continuing.

This is all I can think at the moment.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Ed Reiss
16th April 2009, 12:48 AM
A drill mounted wire brush works pretty good.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th April 2009, 03:58 AM
Have you given any thought to simply brushing away the loosest material and just applying a finish over the top? I like the natural look. :wink:

You could just flood the inclusion with CA to ensure nothing else comes loose, but that tends to leave a discolouration around the edge which may be noticeable, depending on what finish you plan to use.

Talking of finishes, have you decided what you're going to use? Friction finishes & waxes are out (ever tried buffing inside inclusions?) so you're more or less restricted to oils or wipe/spray-on types.

Personally I'd finish the inclusion now, before any further turning. That way, if any runs develop around the "lip" of the inclusion (which I find tends to happen - it's hard to not "over-apply" in there... :-) you can remove the worst when you finish turn/sand the rest of the bowl. It also helps prevent further bits from flying out during turning - anything that does come adrift was going to anyway, and can be touched up when you finish the rest.

dr4g0nfly
16th April 2009, 09:09 AM
I use dental picks, a straightish one and one with a small hook. Well they are called Dental but most Hobby shops sell them for working that acrylic modelling clay or I sometimes see them in cheepy tool stand in markets.

Sawdust Maker
16th April 2009, 09:55 AM
various brushes on a dremel

btw looking good :2tsup:
would like to see the finished article

NeilS
16th April 2009, 11:14 AM
I use dental picks, a straightish one and one with a small hook.

Your dentist will also have a draw of old ones and there for the asking.

Neil

efgee88
16th April 2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all your advice. Its given me a direction to take. Using the dremel to clean out some tight spots is a good idea. I'll make up a little tool for that and a hand pick too.
Skew, I know I've been chastised for this before, but I've been using Incralac as a penetrating hardening lacquer prior to using oil or wax - works a treat for me.
It is fast drying and very thin so tends to get into the fibres and harden them.
I might apply some liberally into the inclusions and see how it looks. I'm also going to use it on the rest of the bowl anyway. I then usually fine sand it back before applying some coats of danish oil or wax. I've had no adverse chemical reaction between the Incralac or the oil (or carnauba wax).

Cheers,

FrankG