PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get some drawers made

paternoster
16th April 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi all.

I found a fairly sturdy chest of drawers (only without the drawers!) on the side of the road a while ago, and being a pack rat, threw it in the boot with the intention of building some drawers for it out of some cheap pine floor boards.
Well that was about 2 years ago and it sits in my shed with a shelving unit on top of it, so as far as something that was supposed to fix some of my workshop storage problems, it's just adding to them.
I still want drawers for it though - and the problem there is.. I'm a knifemaker, not a woodworker. I couldn't chisel myself out of a paper bag.

So I'd like to know if anyone (In MELB) is interested in building these for me?
What I have in mind is for me to supply all the materials (floorboards for the side and back of the drawers, hardwood for the front, probably MDF or similar (suggestions welcome) for the bottom - then have somebody make them for me, and return them undressed, without handles, as I'd like to finish them myself.

The unit fits 3 drawers but as I'm looking to store knifemaking materials in them I'm looking to have 5 drawers with dovetail joins made for each drawer 'slot'.
Dimensions of the slots are 890mm wide x 370 depth x 135 height.

I'm willing to pay for this of course, but would also be happy to trade the labour for a custom made knife (as in, I make one to your specifications).

Thanks for reading.
Simon