PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter Location

skot
17th April 2009, 08:42 AM
Hope someone can help....

The electrician is coming in next week to put in some extra power points in the shed. I want to have one in the ceiling for a future Air Filter similar to the one shown below.

Where is the best place to have the filter

1) Centrally placed in the shed or

2) Offset to 1 side so the Inlet Filter faces most of the shed

If it is centrally placed would the dust particles floating around the back (outlet side) be hindered from being sucked into the filter. Hopes that makes sense.

Rum Pig
17th April 2009, 08:48 AM
I have no experience or expertise in this field but I would look at the air flow of your shed especially when your turning and try to place your filter in the path of the dust that way is has the best chance of collecting to majority of the dust.

As I said I'm no expert so hopefully some else with more experience can give better advice but that is my thoughts on the problem.

skot
17th April 2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks Rum Pig,

If I put in in the middle, it will still face my lathe..as the lathe is at the back of the shed. Maybe I should put it just forward of the saw table but still facing the lathe, as the lathe creates the most dust.

Texian
17th April 2009, 11:24 AM
Skot,
Seems like if it were in the center (in both directions) it would tend to create an airflow throughout the room which would do the best job of cleaning the air. Remember that its job is to clean the air, not to function as a dust collector. Good for cleaning the air prior to breathing and doing finish work. Not good at collecting a stream of dust from sanding a piece on the lathe.

Tim the Timber Turner
17th April 2009, 12:18 PM
Skot

There is currently an active thread on the product review page.

Check out Microclean MC1000.

Tim:wink:

joez
17th April 2009, 01:32 PM
Microclean recommend placing the unit in the centre of the room, i was told after about 30mins it creates an air stream in the workshop which helps with cleanup.

Note its a different style of filter to the box type you've attached.

joez

NeilS
17th April 2009, 03:48 PM
Skot - mine is approx mid-workshop, inlet facing towards centre and outlet blowing towards wall.

Also keep in mind what else will be creating air movements, eg dust extractor, and avoid interference between them.

While you have the electrician in get him to drop some extra suspended power points from the ceiling, they are very convenient. This sort (http://autospeed.com/cms/gallery/article.html?slideshow=0&a=110785&i=11).

Neil

Sawdust Maker
17th April 2009, 05:38 PM
[quote=NeilS;938515...

While you have the electrician in get him to drop some extra suspended power points from the ceiling, they are very convenient. This sort (http://autospeed.com/cms/gallery/article.html?slideshow=0&a=110785&i=11).

Neil[/quote]

good idea that - I'll file that away for the near future

skot
17th April 2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the replies...I'll check out that other thread.

NeilS..I am ahead on that one... already thought of the suspended PPs and have picked out their location.

NeilS
18th April 2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the replies...I'll check out that other thread.

NeilS..I am ahead on that one... already thought of the suspended PPs and have picked out their location.

:2tsup:

Neil