PDA

View Full Version : Gone Fishin!

DPB
12th June 2004, 09:32 PM
Headed back to my native country for a few months. Here's a picture of my brother on his boat holding a wee minnow. I'll be thinking of you guys as I enjoy the summer just fishin.

morry
12th June 2004, 09:36 PM
How rude!!!!
The NSW trout season ends this weekend and I haven't put a fly onto the water all year and Im forced to endure this.

bitingmidge
12th June 2004, 09:40 PM
Are you going to put it on a 4 or 5 gang hook?

I must admit I prefer using live bait, but you might get something with it!

:D :D :D

Cheers,

P

DPB
12th June 2004, 11:20 PM
This King Salmon weighed about 20 kilograms. It was one of many he caught over a three week period as he travelled through the Inside Passage from Glacier Bay, Alaska to Vancouver, B.C. He liked to use relatively light salmon tackle (you can see a single hook with no barb, and a light fishing rod lying over the transom of his trawler). He told me he had so much salmon, that he didn't think he could eat another salmon dinner again.

He left for the same return trip from Vancouver just a week ago, and I hope to catch up with him in two months on his return journey. Hope I catch a minnow half as large.

Driver
13th June 2004, 01:38 PM
Don

What's that grey stuff in the background behind your brother? It looks a bit like ocean but it's the wrong colour! :D

Col (in Perth - where the sun is shining in the middle of winter!)

DPB
13th June 2004, 02:34 PM
Don

What's that grey stuff in the background behind your brother? It looks a bit like ocean but it's the wrong colour! :D

Col (in Perth - where the sun is shining in the middle of winter!)

Ocean it is, and you'd be grey too if you were cooled by the continuous run-off from glaciers and mountain rivers.

Actually, it's quite deceptive. Oceans tend to reflect the colour of the sky. A grey cloud cover makes the water look much greyer than it is. Although northern ocean waters are rich with plankton, they are remarkably clear. On a sunny day, sunlight easily penetrates down 7 - 10 fathoms.

Rocker
13th June 2004, 04:28 PM
Don,

That is a remarkably realistic carving of a salmon that your brother did; it looks just like the real thing, only three times the size of course.

Have a good trip. By the way, Lee Valley is pretty close to the airport in Vancouver:)

Rocker

Driver
13th June 2004, 04:55 PM
Ocean it is, and you'd be grey too if you were cooled by the continuous run-off from glaciers and mountain rivers.

Actually, it's quite deceptive. Oceans tend to reflect the colour of the sky. A grey cloud cover makes the water look much greyer than it is. Although northern ocean waters are rich with plankton, they are remarkably clear. On a sunny day, sunlight easily penetrates down 7 - 10 fathoms.

I know. I have fond memories of a holiday in Vancouver several years ago (my wife's sister lives there). In particular the remarkable clarity of the water between the mainland and Vancouver Island and a couple of orcas following the ferry. Have a great holiday.

Col

DPB
13th June 2004, 06:03 PM
Don,

That is a remarkably realistic carving of a salmon that your brother did; it looks just like the real thing, only three times the size of course.

Have a good trip. By the way, Lee Valley is pretty close to the airport in Vancouver:)

Rocker

Thanks, mates!

Of course Lee Valley Tools is already on my agenda. Taking an empty suitcase just for that reason. :D :D

Bob Willson
13th June 2004, 06:26 PM
Never lie about your age! It looks as though your brother may belong to a different generation from yours?

DPB
13th June 2004, 07:53 PM
Actually, he's 5 years younger than I am. He also is maturing far beyond his years. :D :D :D :D And just for the record, my sister is 11 years younger and she too, looks like she must be 50 :confused: Go figure! :D :D :D

Bob Willson
14th June 2004, 11:40 AM
If you swivel your eyes slightly to the left and up a bit, you will see that you have stated your age as 18 years. Now if your sister is 11 years younger than you this would make her current age 7. Any 7 year old who looks as though they are 50 is in deep . Very few youths of 13 years actually look as old as your (younger) brother's appears to be.

Something is awry. :D

DPB
14th June 2004, 11:49 AM
Something is awry.:confused:

Strange that - oh well, life is full of mysteries. :D :D :D

Iain
14th June 2004, 12:43 PM
How rude!!!!
The NSW trout season ends this weekend and I haven't put a fly onto the water all year and Im forced to endure this.
For you Morry, I wrote this a few years ago to get into tournament casters who buggered up our real fishing trips:

Scientists are about to release into a select few lakes in close proximity of Denver an amazing development in piscatorial research.

This amazing trout (Onchorynchus Haselti) known as the Red Trout exudes a small quantity of dye, not unlike the ink from squid, when it feeds.

This happens as a result of the introduction of a hormone into the saliva gland of the Onchorynchus family, Salmo do not respond to this transplant, the hormone which is taken from the squid ink gland and produces a red saliva discharge for the first year of the life of the trout, hence the generic name red trout.

What is more amazing is the ability for this color to change with the maturity of the fish, essentially, the larger (older) the fish the different color saliva discharge.

Marine biologists have long been aware of a change in the enzyme structure of some fresh water fish as they mature, but, were not aware that with the hormonal introduction the color of the ink (dye) would change.

As a result of these findings we now have a trout whose salival output progresses through phases of red, yellow, green and finally blue.

Another aspect with this hormone introduction is that the saliva is extremely viscous and holds together for several seconds in water after discharge from the mouth of the trout.

Being lighter than water it also naturally forms an ever expanding ring upon discharge with the water trying to break through the center and the viscosity holding the structure together, scientists are aware of this process but it is far too complex to explain in detail.

Guides have indicated that they welcome this development as beginners will be able to identify the size and species rising before them simply by identifying the colored ring.

AlexS
14th June 2004, 07:35 PM
Wow! Now you can tell how old a trout is by checking the colour of its ring. Thats as good as being able to tell how old a dog is by looking up its date!