PDA

View Full Version : attaching cornice to 2 pak

xxx
13th June 2004, 09:47 PM
I've just had a new 2 pak kitchen installed with bulkheads and i want to attach some cornice.

Can anyone recommend a good way to hold the cornice in situ while the cement sets? I imagine you'd normally put a couple of nails in the gyprock to hold it, but that's not possible with the 2 pak because i won't be able to patch the holes after.

Also, from reading another thread on this, it was suggested that cornice cement really needs a porous surface for good adhesion. With attaching cornice to a 2 pak wall and a gyprock ceiling, what's the best way to go?

Should i use cornice cement for the ceiling and liquid nails for the 2 pak?

Cheers

morry
13th June 2004, 09:57 PM
My cousin recentl had problems with cornice detaching from MDF bulkheads in his kitchen that was held on by cornice cement. When they where called back to fix the job a different contactor used liquid nails and advised that thats how it should have been done the first time. Id suggest a couple of plaster board screws up about 15mm from the edge that can be filled later as well.

journeyman Mick
14th June 2004, 04:31 PM
I use cornice cement against the ceiling and liquid nails on the board with a few screws through the face of the cornice to hold it in place as there's nothing worse than having a 4.8M length of cornice come crashing down with blobs of cornice cement and liquid nails. :eek: This approach should be taken when gluing onto any surface other than plasterboard or bare masonry.

Mick

seriph1
14th June 2004, 11:41 PM
wouldnt any fixing nails/screws be on the cornice and therefore easily filled over and disguised? If so, I imagine you may need to pre-drill the 2 pack'd surface to avoid chipping.

hang on ..... I may have missed something - is the cornice done in two pack as well?

xxx
15th June 2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the replies.

So it looks like i should use liquid nails for the 2 pak surface and cornice cement for the ceiling surface...

hang on ..... I may have missed something - is the cornice done in two pack as well?

No it's just standard cornice. But the problem is there is a 25mm gap between the ceiling and the top of the 2 pak bulkhead, which means i don't have much space to screw into the bulkhead... so i think the safest way is to screw into the ceiling and patch after?