PDA

View Full Version : Finished Burl bowl with inclusions

efgee88
20th April 2009, 06:06 PM
Hi all,

Following my thread query about what to do about large inclusions in a yellow box burl, I have now finished the bowl. I was quite satisfied with the end result, even with the large inclusions and holes in the side wall of the bowl. As suggested I cleaned the inclusions using a dremel brush. The finish inside the inclusions was applied by brush using danish oil after my penetrating lacquer treatment. The turned surfaces were finished using a rag to apply the coatings and the resulting colour was amazing.

The exciting thing about turning this sort of thing is that you just don't know whats hidden behind all that bark!

Below are some pictures. The bowl is about 28cm in diameter. (Note to Ed Reiss - my wife will never put her hands in a photo again!).

Any advice most welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

FrankG

Wayne Blanch
20th April 2009, 07:17 PM
That certainly is a beautiful bowl and a lovely bit of timber!:2tsup: You should be happy with the end results I would be.

bowl-basher
20th April 2009, 08:08 PM
:clap::clap::clap:
That is a beauty...... I can imagin there were a few scarey moments,, I know the one I posted in a recent post " burl bowl " gave me a few
But that is one loverly bowl...... what was the finish you used???
Regards
Bowl-Basher

efgee88
20th April 2009, 08:31 PM
:clap::clap::clap:
That is a beauty...... I can imagin there were a few scarey moments,, I know the one I posted in a recent post " burl bowl " gave me a few
But that is one loverly bowl...... what was the finish you used???
Regards
Bowl-Basher

Thanks Bowl-basher,

I used a thin lacquer on the sanded bowl to 240 grit. I let this dry overnight and then sanded it back using 240grit. Then continued sanding with consecutive papers 320, 400, 800, 1200. The 800 & 1200 don't take long at all.
Finished the bowl with two coats of danish oil and buffed after an overnight dry.

Cheers,

FrankG

Sawdust Maker
20th April 2009, 09:17 PM
Very, very nice bowl :2tsup::2tsup:
brilliant effort:brava:brava:brava

artme
20th April 2009, 09:38 PM
:)(:)(:clap::clap::clap:What an absolutely spectacular piece!! You have done brilliantly to maintain the integrity if the piece under what must have been hair raising turning times!!

The colour is something else.

joe greiner
20th April 2009, 11:22 PM
Very nice, Frank. The excitement really paid off.:2tsup:

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
20th April 2009, 11:29 PM
Frank, you did justice to that hunk of burl...very nicely done :2tsup::2tsup:

(Note to Ed Reiss - my wife will never put her hands in a photo again!).

...will do penance for the rest of my life :B:B:B

Ad de Crom
21st April 2009, 02:03 AM
Frank, a lot of other woodturners told you already how beautiful the bowl is, and I can tell you the same. SUPER job.!!!!!!!
If I could I would grab it from my computer screen :D
Cheers.
Ad

Rum Pig
21st April 2009, 09:00 AM
:2tsup:WOW:2tsup:

Nice very nice:2tsup:
I think you have handled the inclusion's spot on:2tsup:

bench1holio
21st April 2009, 03:57 PM
awsome..,gota love the yellow box burl!

Texian
22nd April 2009, 01:51 PM
Interesting bowl in a saucer motif. Magnificent wood.

T-bar
22nd April 2009, 04:48 PM
Very nice :2tsup:
Excellent job efgee88 :)

Cheers jason

efgee88
24th April 2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Cheers,
FrankG