PDA

View Full Version : Ford Territory

garfield
21st April 2009, 02:44 PM
Hi, My wife and I are thinking of getting a new car as we have a beautiful little girl as a new addition to the family. I was looking at the Toyota but was fascinated in the Ford Territory as I find it a stylish looking vehicle. Was just wondering why they seem quite cheap for what they are.

Do they have a bad reputation or something? or are they petrol guzzlers?

Any positive or negative feed back on this car much appreciated.

Cheers
Geoff.

cytan
21st April 2009, 03:55 PM
Hi Mate, I would go for the Toyota, Why? because they are just better.

Dennis :U

Ron Dunn
21st April 2009, 04:30 PM
Thirsty. Like a camel at the end of a cross-Sahara trek.

The good: They drive nicely
The not-so-good: Bits fall of them like most Fords (especially A-pillar trims and window electrics)
The bad: Thirst, not unusual to see over 20l/100km in town

garfield
21st April 2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys, but do these comments come from experience - or hear say?

I do like the look of the Toyota Tarago, but I'm not sure about the 4Cyl motor, 4 speed Automatic gear box pulling my camp trailer though.

Vernonv
21st April 2009, 06:12 PM
The good: They drive nicelyThat was not my impression (at least not on the open road, maybe different in town). I thought it was like trying to ride a whale bare back ... big wallowing thing, that seemed to float around on the road. Basically felt like you had no direct connection to either the road or the engine.

Hated it.

Boxmaker
21st April 2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys, but do these comments come from experience - or hear say?

I do like the look of the Toyota Tarago, but I'm not sure about the 4Cyl motor, 4 speed Automatic gear box pulling my camp trailer though.
A family 2 doors down from me has had two and did big KMs .No troubles at all.
Geelong is full of them (Ford City) and havent heard anything about faults.
They are heavier on fuel than a falcon but what do you expect there.Same motor but bigger frontal area .Will pull camper trailer and family with ease.NLR

rotten_66
21st April 2009, 06:52 PM
Looked at buying the permanent 4wd version of the Territory through a caryard about 3 years ago, only had 17000km on the clock, and was able to contact the original owner. His comments matched those of the above, anything under 23l/100km in the city/suburbs was "good" (:o) open road was better but still struggling in the 15-17l/100km range. He traded it after about ten months for a smaller vehicle.

Bought a Ssangyong Stavic, 2.7l turbo diesel, 7 seater people mover, rear wheel drive. At the time of purchase only about four things to choose. Auto/manual, Sunroof or not. Leather interior or not. What colour ( Only five to select from)?
I have three young kids so gets a fair work out, so far perfect hasn't missed a beat. Pulls a fully loaded trailer as if it isn't there. Get around 13l/100km in the city and on a good long country haul can be as low as 9l/100km. Have had 7 adults plus suitcases to do the airport drop off thing and all fitted easily. It has a huge and true baggage space in the back not just a dinky little spot behind the rear seats.

Looked at:
Toyota Tarago, good but pricey, yes I know about the resale value.
Honda Odyssey too many fiddly electronic things for my liking, also very pricey.
Mazda MPV yuk
Kia Carnival, very plastic and felt like it would blow over in a mild breeze.

Christopha
21st April 2009, 08:13 PM
The Territory is very thirsty, nearly as thirsty as the Holden Adventra thing I am told. I have spent some time in a terrortory and am not particularly impressed by the ride, the comfort levels or the general performance. If you are going to tow your camper about then I would do my homework on Diesels.

garfield
22nd April 2009, 09:05 AM
I must admit the Toyota Tarago is the nicest looking out of the lot, but yeah they seem to be expensive.

The worst thing is about 3 years ago we brought a (at the time) 2 year old Toyota Camry for $22,000 and I see that they are selling for around $13 - $15,000 now :o so I would be losing heaps of money on it. By the time I either trade or sell I'll be adding around $10,000 for the same year model Tarago.... man I hate buying cars!!

I see the Odessy's are fairly priced, as are the Mitsibishi Grandis and the Kia Carnival's but I know the resale Value on a Kia is cr@p!

echnidna
22nd April 2009, 09:50 AM
The Kia's reportedly got a crap motor

damian
22nd April 2009, 10:06 AM
I have a fairlane. Ford occasionally make a wonderful car but most of their stuff is rubbish. The territory is 300 kg heavier than my fairlane and presents a signifigantly larger frontal area. They use basically falcon mechanicals so it has to be thirstier. A gentleman here at work recently bought a new 7 seater (his family is growing). I encouraged him to try the territory and he hated it, bought a kluger instead even though it's a fair bit dearer. My ladyfriends sister has had one for some years and no reports of problems, but they don't really talk often so...

What about the honda odessey ? I've never understood the fascination with 4b's. If your not taking the thing off road why buy one ? I had a strange rover years ago, great car, but tyres cost a fortune, there are two diffs, swivel joints, 2 gearboxes etc etc all to go wrong. Your lugging around a tone of weight...It was worth it for the camping and fire trails etc, but if your not doing that your just buying trouble.

Me, if I were buying a new car I'd get a falcon wagen. Cart springs, unbreakable engine, comfortable, great for towing. Don't get the new auto though, cost a fortune to fix. The old 4 speed is fine, does about 250k kms and cheap to replace. Seats 5 in comfort.

Edit: falcons halve in value every 3 years, and it seems that's accelerated lately. So if you pay $40k, 3yo it's worth about 20, 6 yo about 10 etc...

garfield
22nd April 2009, 10:15 AM
Me, if I were buying a new car I'd get a falcon wagen. Cart springs, unbreakable engine, comfortable, great for towing. Don't get the new auto though, cost a fortune to fix. The old 4 speed is fine, does about 250k kms and cheap to replace. Seats 5 in comfort.

Cheers Damian but I would like a 7-8 seater. Do they do a Falcon wagon with 7-8 seats?

echnidna
22nd April 2009, 10:21 AM
yes

AUSSIE
22nd April 2009, 11:23 AM
I may be wrong.But are we all thinking that all Territorys are 4 WD .you can get rear wheel drive models .The cheap one weighs 2003kg for the 7 seater just under $40,000
Look at the Ford site
At a quick look I couldnt pick up the 7 seater Falcon wagon.No doubt someone will:2tsup:

garfield
22nd April 2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah I don't know what to type into the search engine for a Falcon with 7-8 seats.

AUSSIE
22nd April 2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah I don't know what to type into the search engine for a Falcon with 7-8 seats.
Click here (http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178838247879&pagename=Page&site=FOA&c=DFYPage)it is the best I can do, still cant find 7 seats.You may do better of phone them.Same base price as Territory
also HERE (http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178852817645&pagename=Page&site=FOA&c=DFYPage) No mention of extra seat

Wood Borer
22nd April 2009, 11:59 AM
My brother has one and a stone went right through some plastic plate on the transmission. Ford didn't want to know about it neither did the NRMA.

After paying for the tow and the repairs he was told by the mechanic it is a common problem on gravel roads despite it being sold as an off road vehicle.:~

It is also thirsty, he does 99.9% of his driving on country roads and probably 50% of those on gravel. Another poor example of low life car salesmen, poor design and a myriad excuses of not coming good with the warranty.

echnidna
22nd April 2009, 12:07 PM

THIS (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=rDR&q=falcon+7+seat*&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU)

damian
22nd April 2009, 01:01 PM
You cna get a 2wd territory of course, but as you said the "cheap one" is still 2000 kg. My fairlane is 1700 and that's about the weight of the falcon wagon (wagen?). The E series got about 9.8 l/100km on the std test, the Ba and on got about 10.5 or something. Territory's are 13 or something.

Even the 2wd have a higher c of g and as mentioned the weight!

Ford's poor after sales service is legendary. Pats prices for the FG are apparently breathtaking.

Really makes you want to buy australian doesn't it ?

So the oddessy doesn't come 7 seat ?

AUSSIE
22nd April 2009, 01:03 PM
THIS (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=rDR&q=falcon+7+seat*&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU)
Garfield stated he was after a new car in his first thread.I took this as being a NEW car not a 10 year old ,or more,bit of crap several other families have abused(maybe) how do you know? I think AU falcons were the last to have 7 seats so maybe upto 2002???:oo::oo:
Mechanics love old cars.Always something to do if the owner wants to keep it in good nick and has the money needed to do the job.I used to work on them years ago.When you gave a quote to fix it properly,the owner thought you were a crook.Typical answer was I am selling it soon,just get it going.I would give them directions to another place that did that sort of thing.Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Aussie

garfield
22nd April 2009, 01:57 PM
Click here (http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178838247879&pagename=Page&site=FOA&c=DFYPage)it is the best I can do, still cant find 7 seats.You may do better of phone them.Same base price as Territory
also HERE (http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178852817645&pagename=Page&site=FOA&c=DFYPage) No mention of extra seat

Cheers Aussie

garfield
22nd April 2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks to You echnidna

mikm
22nd April 2009, 02:47 PM
Dunno what people are doing to make a terrirory drink in the 20's around town? Is it a full throttle Grand Prix at every set of lights? I know several people with them; all are very happy with the way they drive and how they function as family transport. The usual sort of fuel consumption figures I hear are low teens to the hundred mixed cycle and around 9.5 on the open highway at 100 kmh, rising to 10.5 with a bit of head wind. A mate and I drove his round trip from Melbourne to Portland last weekend towing a 2t covered race car trailer (read: towing a heavy sail) and managed low to mid 20 l's/100, so the same figures punting around town suggest the driver is either a bit excitable on the go pedal, or there is something seriously wrong with the engine.

Same sort of reliability niggles as any other manufacturer.
They handle exceptionally well, particularly for a large, 2t beast. Towing the trailer mentioned above was a breeze - you hardly noticed it was there. The owner assures me that it is a better tow vehicle then the ~3yo landcruiser he used to use.
By the way. Before anyone assumes Ford bias, I drive a Commodore. I just think territorys are very good at what they do for the price.

echnidna
22nd April 2009, 03:21 PM
and LPG can reduce fuel costs

Pheonix
22nd April 2009, 04:02 PM
My daughter in Perth has one, only problem its black,got it to match the ex boyfriends xr6.She has had no trouble with it, is forever going camping nearly every weekend,carts seven no problem.But like all 4x4 never much off the highway ,I think this would be the case for 99% of them,women for some strange reason think they are safer than a sedan.

AUSSIE
22nd April 2009, 04:20 PM
@ black cars in Perth???
Well I'll Be. Was there 7 weeks over 13 mths and cant place a black car at all.
Not a good choice is it.Maybe hard to sell as well Hey?What love will do to you.:doh:

durwood
22nd April 2009, 06:04 PM
I had a BA Falcon and changed it to a Territory end of last year so I could take grandkids etc (7 seats) on a holiday towing a car on trailer. Thought it would eat more fuel but the extra seats meant we only needed one car.

Get better fuel econony. more power ( holds top gear a lot longer) lots of better features like the split tailgate extra pockets and nicer to get in and out of as its higher for this old fart.

Even better putting kids seats in the Territory which we regularly do when they come to us the belt buckles are easy to clip into as they are on stalks not just flopping around and the back seat seems to be a bit wider.

Like all cars its personal choise, You have to do a test drive and see if you like it or not.

For me good everyday driving, occasional towing ample power good economy ( 9lt/ 100 on a trip) I would not have such a big car except to tow but don't need to spend all year otherwise in a big 4x4 tank.

garfield
22nd April 2009, 10:54 PM
:? some for and a lot against..... I know nothing what so ever about cars and how much petrol is being used per 100kl either so I'm guided by what people say in here. I think it's best that I take one for a test drive as well.

Well for my family I need something that can pull a camp trailer (only twice a year most times) and carry some misc gear in the back, as discussed it would need 7 seats minimum as well. I had to put heavy duty shocks and springs on the Camry just before Christmas as the year before the tow bar was nearly rubbing on the ground because the factory standard shocks and springs couldn't handle the weight.

rhancock
23rd April 2009, 08:35 AM
We've had a black 2wd territory for three years now, and we love it. Its spacious, easy to drive, particularly around town, but does well on the open road too. We've got 7 seats and use them regularly. It feels like a car, not a truck, but my wife and I are both tall so we like the space inside - I can sit in the third row seat without any problem. We both find it comfortable to drive.

However, it is thirsty, and being a ford its cheap and plasticy on the inside. I've pulled trailers up to the 1600kg limit of my towbar and it did ok, but it wasn't fun, so if you're going to regulalry pull a decent sized trailer, I'd go for something else.

At the end of the day, its great at what it is, a 7 seater, large family car for general use around town and the odd long version. If thats what you want, fine, if not, buy something else!

garfield
23rd April 2009, 08:45 AM
Well sounds a bit of a winner for me in that my wife doesn't like big 4wd's and don't want to feel as though she's driving a truck, but I'm concerned about how thirsty they apparently are. My wife's usual day's driving (she's the main driver) is get up in the morning take the kids to school about 5kl away then drives another 2 kl away to drop our baby to the baby sitters then she drives about 4 kl to work, then back track's that same way home for the day. I wouldn't like a huge petrol bill especially with the price of petrol now days.

prozac
25th April 2009, 01:30 AM
I have a Toyota Landcruiser Series 80. Bought it new in 1993. I also own a Holden Berlina VZ. I have to say whilst the Berlina is a modern comfortable drive, I love getting into the old landcruiser. I am not suggesting you look at a landcruiser. What I posted for was to say that the Landcruiser motor has never missed a beat andnever had any work done other than servicing and replacement of things like water-hoses. Great engines.

garfield
26th April 2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah my old man is Toyota man, he swears by them and always has.

I really like the Tarago because of the shape, the 8 seats and its a 4 Cyl. I don't know if it could handle pulling a fully loaded camp trailer though but the 4 Cyl Camry that we have copes quite well.

prozac
27th April 2009, 12:09 AM
A mate has a Chrysler people-thingy. Sliding doors open both sides, and he can even fit his Harley in the back.

garfield
27th April 2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah there's a few out there and it's all about the personal needs and choice I guess. I'm not very mechanically minded and like the heads up on the motors and pit falls of some of the makes etc on this forum.