PDA

View Full Version : Car park bullies

Wongo
15th June 2004, 02:22 PM
I took my daughter out on the weekend like I do every Saturday. We went to the hardware store and timber yard. We went to the park and she had great fun. She wanted McDonald’s for lunch so we headed to our local shopping centre. The car park is usually very busy on Saturday and is hard to find parking. I finally found someone who was about to leave after searching for 20 minutes. I pulled over and indicated and waited for another 5 minutes. The lady backed her car and went pass me. As soon as she left the spot, a car from behind went straight in to the spot. I just couldn’t believe it. I got out of the car and went to talk to him. I told him that it was my spot as I had waited for 5 minutes.

“Sorry mate, I thought you were waiting for other spot” he said.

I told him that I had a child in the car who wanted to have so lunch badly.

“I can’t go back now. I have already parked the car. I am sorry mate” he added.

I had my hands on my hips starring at him but I didn’t know what to say. I shook my head and went back to my car. I said to him “Don’t say sorry if you are not sorry” and amusingly he replied “I am sorry”. I sighed and left to look for a spot somewhere else.

I have, in many occasions, given up parking spots to elderly drivers in busy shopping centres. I certain do not expect to be treated like that. How much does it take to treat others fairly and respectfully? :mad:

silentC
15th June 2004, 02:40 PM
Sad isn't it? When I came up for the show, I was driving along Anzac Parade (or maybe it was Southern Cross Drive, I always get them mixed up). All of a sudden the right lane was full of stopped cars. I went a bit further and there was a big sign saying 'Event Parking, next right parking at Fox Studios'. Bugger I thinks to myself, I need to be in the right hand lane. But do you think any of those prune-faced Sydney-siders would let me in? As I got closer to the intersection, the only thing I could do was stop. I had traffic banking up behind me and still no-one would let me in. I pointed my nose into the gap between two cars and when the traffic started to move, I edged across. Two cars still refused to let me in but the third one stopped so I could come across. The two cars that wouldn't let me in were both driven by women. It was a guy who finally let me in.

What does this say? Speaks a lot about the selfish attitude of most people who live in that place. This is one reason that I do not miss Sydney. How much difference would it have made to their day to let me in? In fact it annoys me so much when I'm up there that my wife often has to restrain me. She's always worried that the guy driving the car that just cut us off might be carrying a gun or a knife. So what are you supposed to do, just let people walk all over you?

I can tell you now that in the case of the parking incident you describe, there would have been a lot more said and it would have been unpleasant. You have more patience and control than I do Wongo.

Dean
15th June 2004, 02:53 PM
Stuff a cheeseburger up his muffler and drop a thickshake over his boot (by accident of course). If he questions you say "sorry there was a space there and I filled it" :D

craigb
15th June 2004, 03:05 PM
Wongo,
You have every right to feel agrieved. As Darren said you showed admirable control. I guess that you just have to chalk it up to the guy being a richard cranium. Thing is, what goes around comes around and one day he'll do it to somebody who doesn't have your restraint and then he'll probably be picking his teeth up off the carpark floor. :p

Darren, I probably would have let you in but one of my pet hates when I'm driving and I've spent a good few minutes doing the right thing and merging in an orderly fashion, is to have some d1ckhead come up the inside lane past the line of merging cars and expect to be let in. I find that they are usually driving a Merc or a Beemer or something equally expensive, unless it's an FWD.

Dean
15th June 2004, 03:14 PM
I love it when the freeway is pretty much full and you are in the right lane doing the speed limit and some cool dude sits up your backside and then starts flicking their lights at you to move out of the way. One time this happened and the leadfoot was itching to go past. I couldnt really move into the other lane but at the first chance he zoomed to the left lane, proceeded to overtake me and as they go past, they turn their head and give you this big long stare that makes them look like monkeys. Anyone as he was gawking away at me, he ran up the butt of the car in front that had slowed down for traffic further up. Only a nudge but enough to damage his front end. I am sure his ego suffered a lot more.

I hope he learnt his lesson (but these types rarely do).

silentC
15th June 2004, 03:14 PM
... one of my pet hates when I'm driving ...

I know what you mean. I suppose I've been guilty of 'failing to see' someone who is trying to do that. It usually happens when the left lane ends and you get a stream of traffic flying down your left flank and trying to push their way in. You just know that they do it every day.

In this case it wouldn't take much intelligence to work out what was going on and the fact that I was holding up a heap of traffic should have been enough for them to say "well, it goes against my nature but I suppose I should let this guy in, he's probably from out of town and obviously doesn't know his asre from his elbow."

craigb
15th June 2004, 03:22 PM
I
In this case it wouldn't take much intelligence to work out what was going on and the fact that I was holding up a heap of traffic should have been enough for them to say "well, it goes against my nature but I suppose I should let this guy in, he's probably from out of town and obviously doesn't know his asre from his elbow."

Fair enough. I was just trying to explain why Sydney drivers can seem less than courteous. ;)

silentC
15th June 2004, 03:27 PM
I know, I used to be one!!

What do thay say about reformed smokers? ;)

Wood Borer
15th June 2004, 03:34 PM
Years ago when I was slightly younger (22), I drove cabs on the weekends around Melbourne. I cracked the jackpot one wet Friday night (5:30PM) at a big supermarket – pick up Mrs Smith and her groceries going local. Ripper of a job!!!! Tullamarine jobs going left right and centre and I pick the short straw.

As I drove through the carpark to get to the entrance of the supermarket the BMW in front of me suddenly stopped. I didn’t have enough room to go around the BMW and I couldn’t back up because the seven or eight cars behind me were in the same predicament. I got out of the cab and politely asked the elderly gentleman driver if he could move up a couple of feet to let me get clear. He was halfway across a vacant parking spot he had suddenly seen.

His response was “you ars**e taxi drivers you just want to pinch my parking spot, f*** off”. It was at that time I noticed his blue rinsed haired wife sitting in the passenger’s seat. I told him, “ when I first walked up to your car I thought that was a lady as a passenger but after hearing your words she can’t be anything short of a common gutter slutter”

At this point his conservative wife saw my point of the argument and got stuck into her conservative loud mouthed ignorant elderly husband. He moved up, I picked up Mrs Smith and her groceries and the old boy is probably still being nagged. Picking up Mrs Smith and her groceries is a fare I remember 27 years later.

Melbourne drivers are shockers, I have rarely run into problems in Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart – they seem to give you a chance.

- Wood Borer

Bob Willson
15th June 2004, 04:12 PM
I have never had the problem that you had Wongo. This may be because I am 6 ft and fairly large looking. I keep in my glove box one of those little tools for removing the valve from tyres. If at sometime somebody were to treat me like that I would be all sweetness to their faces but as soon as they left to go to the shops one or more of their tyres would start hissing due to a complete lack of valve. :)

PS You shouldn't be feeding your daughter that McDonalds junk. :D

silentC
15th June 2004, 04:16 PM
Wongo's not a little guy either. Just too polite, I reckon ;)

Wongo
15th June 2004, 04:18 PM
Wongo's not a little guy either. Just too polite, I reckon ;)

6 foot 1, the tallest Chinese on this planet! :p

AlexS
15th June 2004, 04:41 PM
Wongo, you showed admirable restraint (or perhaps just set a good example for the kids). At least you can live comfortably with yourself.

On the matter of Sydney drivrers not letting people in...I used to drive to work through several places where merging was necessary. During the week, there was never a problem, but at weekends, no one would let anyone in. Don't know what the significance of this is.

Chesand
15th June 2004, 05:05 PM
Once broke down at a busy intersection and despite my best efforts could not start the car. Of course the cars behind started tooting, so I got out and suggested that I would sit and blow their horns for them while they started my car. They soon shut up.

himzol
15th June 2004, 05:08 PM
Wongo,

I applaud you, there is no way I would have shown as much restraint, and I'm no where near 6' 1" tall But I have a big bull bar on my four wheel drive :rolleyes:

seriously - bravo for the restraint shown, however feeding your kid Mcjunck? mate what are you thinking. Food cooked buy a fifteen year old and endorsed by a clown - goto be sus.

Wongo
15th June 2004, 05:25 PM
Himzol,

There is something about McDonald. Kids just love them. I am actually feeling guilty about taking her there for 3 weeks in a roll. How can I say no to a 2 ˝ yr old? (I want chippies, i want chippies ...............)

I have never won a fight but I have never lost one either. If words cannot solve the problem then a few punches are not going to do any good. :)

Driver
15th June 2004, 05:34 PM
Wongo

You did exactly the right thing. The temptation to escalate a situation like that is almost overwhelming but, if you had, the effect on your daughter of seeing her dad involved in a bad-tempered dispute would have been very upsetting for her. She is more important than all the boorish, selfish drivers in the world.

Alex makes a good point about Sydney drivers being different at weekends. We moved from Perth to Sydney (and back again!) in 2000. My kids came with us. They had never driven anywhere but Perth before that and they were both surprised at the speed of the traffic and the fact that Sydney drivers will make way for you (as long as you're travelling at the right speed - flat out!). However, they both also remarked on the fact that the rules seemed to change at the weekend, when everyone in Sydney suddenly started driving like we do in Perth: never give way to anyone, run them off the road if they try to squeeze in, kill the bastards if they try to overtake! (Deep, calming intake of breath - get a grip Col, you've got to face the bloody freeway on the way home!)

But seriously - Perth's traffic - homicidally minded fellow road users aside - is a pleasure compared to Sydney's. We don't have a rush hour - we have a rush ten minutes. Although I was intrigued a couple of weeks ago by a sight you don't often see. I'd been stuck in a bit of a queue on the freeway. There was someone driving slower than the speed limit in the RH lane. We were all working our way past the offender by filtering into the middle lane - not an easy task for the reasons outlined above. When I got up close to the car in question it became apparent that its pilot was a teenage girl - a P plater - who was, no kidding - talking on a mobile phone held between her shoulder and her ear whilst using both hands to apply mascara and steering with one knee. Not bad at 90 kph on a busy freeway! That explained why no-one was blasting their horns at her - we were all too concerned not to give her a sudden surprise!

Col

Iain
15th June 2004, 05:55 PM
Had a similar incident, angle parking in front of me, car reverses out and car full of deekheads (thats Mexican) shoot into the spot.
They all thought it was hilarious but not when I just rolled up behind them and took my spot in the Post Office queue about six behind the driver.
The mirth had dissapeared when I returned to my car.
Yeah, I could have got a ticket but I didn't and I was also bigger than them.
Case two.
Driving along Maroondah Hwy in my wifes turbo Honda, noticed a police radar trap on the opposite side of the road.
Did a quick pickup a couple of minutes later and returning along same route, bunch of clowns in an old Nissan 200 cut me off and abused the crap out me, cranked up the turbo and passed them.
They couldn't resist the challenge and went to pass, we're both sitting on 120 and I braked hard as we approached a rise, surprise surprise, coppers got the buggers as I cruised past at 75.
I know, I could have gone too, but I didn't, the speed limit was 80 and the road was open with no residences in the vicinity.
Apart from that, galahs don't really bother me that much and I'm not prone to road rage, if someone makes a mistake I accept it, ye gods, it can't hurt your day that much can it?
Also, as Neil, and Brudda can attest to, I'm only 4'9" and weigh 7 stone :rolleyes:

Bob Willson
15th June 2004, 06:41 PM
Also, as Neil, and Brudda can attest to, I'm only 4'9" and weigh 7 stone
And you also, apparently, have swollen girnals. Not a happy situation. :(

Driver
15th June 2004, 06:42 PM

Bob

Keep your hand clapped firmly over your Trossachs - he's very touchy about those swollen girnals! :D

jackiew
15th June 2004, 06:57 PM
different places different road rules .... last time I went back to the UK it was bliss to be able to put my indicator on to change lanes and have people let me in ( flashing their headlight to let me know they'd seen me ). It was also nice to have people let me pull out of a side turning when the traffic was heavy ( which 99.9% of the time it is ). Which isn't to say that other things don't hack me off about driving in the UK!

Here in Melbourne people would rather see me run into the back of a parked car than back off the accelerator pedal to let me in. My whole driving style has changed. If I know that in heavy traffic if I want to change lanes about 3 major junctions ahead find I have to get into the right hand lane and stay there at the first opportunity .. and if it hacks off speed happy harry behind me when I stick to the limit so be it ... there is no way i'm moving into the left hand lane because I know damn well no bugger will let me in closer to the junction.

Wongo was right not to get into a row over the parking episode .... people like the driver in question just aren't worth worrying about. Not that I always practise what I preach :o I had a problem with people using the day nursery over the road parking across my driveway every morning. It used to infuriate me as there were plenty of car parking spaces further down the road, they just were too lazy to walk an extra 10 metres. I several times politely suggested to people when they returned to their cars that they not do this and they always said indignantly "it was only a few minutes". One day I totally lost it with this guy in a flashy car who parked up while I was actually opening the driveway gates to go out and just disappeared into the day nursery with his offspring. I managed to get my motorbike out by dropping off the kerb and then I let one of his tyres down. I then had to hang around for 10 minutes until he came out ... just in case he tried to drive off without noticing and damaged his wheel rims and I got the bill. In retrospect I count myself as very fortunate that he didn't thump me but In full motorcycle gear I look bigger than I am and I suspect he was worried about my steel toe caps on his paintwork. As his car wasn't there when i got home I assume he borrowed a foot pump from somewhere and they must have put a notice up in the nursery because for some reason people didn't park across my drive anymore :D

Iain its good isn't it when someone has been driving like a w****r and the forces of law and order catch up with them. A friend was cycling (legally) in a bus lane and was being harassed by a car which was trying to sneak past the rush hour traffic (illegally). The driver was so busy trying to force her out of the lane that he didn't spot the cop car caught in the traffic in the next lane until my friend stopped along side it, rapped on the window and pointed to the offending vehicle :D

McDonalds probably doesn't do much harm once in a blue moon. Though I figure it does harm kids if they work out that if they nag mum or dad long enough they will get what they want. My gran would say "you're making a rod for your own back". Eventually my son worked out that no means no but sometimes it would have been MUCH easier to give in.

Sturdee
15th June 2004, 09:05 PM
Wongo, the way you handled the situation, whilst frustrating, set a good example to your kid.

Many years ago a young woman driver in a brand new car did that to me and I was driving an old beat up landrover (the original ex army type). As she would not move and I lost my patience talking I got in again, started the engine, flashed the lights and sounded my horn to get her attention. Then I slowly moved toward the parking spot ready to push her car out of the way. Immediately she ran back to her car and moved it. :D :D Now I am wiser and agree that your method is better.

Peter.

gatiep
15th June 2004, 10:17 PM

"On the matter of Sydney drivrers not letting people in...I used to drive to work through several places where merging was necessary. During the week, there was never a problem, but at weekends, no one would let anyone in. Don't know what the significance of this is."

Alexs
Its easy. During the week everyone is on the way to work and don't mind being late. On the weekend everyone is on the way to have fun and are 'dying' to get there.

SilentC
It seems like you'll have to put signs on your car when in Sydney:
" Outback Driver, Please be kind "

In Perth we don't have problems like that. The State is abbreviated, W.A. which actually means "Wait Awhile" so we all do and no one moves.

Have a great night.
Regards
Joe

AlexS
15th June 2004, 10:52 PM
Jackie, When I rode a motorcycle I used to get really P'd off when I was parked in or it was moved so some 4 wheeled idiot could park, & often felt like letting down a tyre or two. However, I figured a suitable revenge was to leave a note under the windscreen (with appropriate greasy fingerprints) saying "I've loosened the nuts on one of your wheels - you work out which one'.

bsrlee
15th June 2004, 11:18 PM
In a situation like Jackiew's I recommend Loctite or Zap-a-Gap - very superior fast glues - applied to valve stems, wheel nuts and wiper blades. :D If the dweeb is going to park like that in one place, he is going to do it everywhere, so he won't be able to guess who is responsible if he doesn't see you. :cool: Also the guys at the tyre shop will quickly figure out whats going on and likely give him a 'special' bill.

'Revenge is a dish best served cold'

MrFixIt
16th June 2004, 04:24 AM
Hi Iain

Driving along Maroondah Hwy in my wifes turbo Honda, noticed a police radar trap on the opposite side of the road.
Did a quick pickup a couple of minutes later and returning along same route, bunch of clowns in an old Nissan 200 cut me off and abused the crap out me, cranked up the turbo and passed them.
They couldn't resist the challenge and went to pass, we're both sitting on 120 and I braked hard as we approached a rise, surprise surprise, coppers got the buggers as I cruised past at 75.

Love that:D, my kind of justice.

MrFixIt
16th June 2004, 04:31 AM
Hi
In Perth we don't have problems like that. The State is abbreviated, W.A. which actually means "Wait Awhile" so we all do and no one moves.

Sorry, you are mistaken :D, it DOES mean WAY AHEAD

derekcohen
16th June 2004, 04:41 AM
I know that I'll feel better once I've said this (Gad, free therapy!).

It's always a rush to work and usually it takes me about 45 minutes through the early morning Perth freeway crawl. I will curse anyone and anything that slows me down even more. The bane of my life are:

(1) Cops or a breakdown on the side of the freeway. Everyone slows down to look, and this concertinas back for miles.

(2) The idiot in front of me who insists on driving 10 car lengths behind the car in front of him, just so he does not have to change gear as the traffic slows. And pays no heed to the traffic jam building behind him.

(3) The fact that I'm always in the slower lane!

Regards from Perth

Derek

ptc
16th June 2004, 10:29 AM
Where i live you can drive to town at any time of day
and be lucky if you see more than six cars.

PAH1
16th June 2004, 05:02 PM
While living in Tucson Arizona I did something without thinking and it could easily have resulted in serious harm to myself and my wife. After waiting for a car to leave a carpark at a very busy cinema it backed towards me so that I had to wait till it cleared the bay before I could go in. While it was doing that another car came and started to go in, I beeped the horn. The other driver promptly stopped working out what had happened but the female pasenger went absolutely beserk gave me the finger and started screaming (not bad as we were in a car with the airconditioner running). I charged the spot and got in.

To give perspective Arizona does not require handguns to be licensed as long as they are visible. After two years seeing people with loaded handguns getting groceries was still a bit of a shock.

My wife is Dutch and you say and do nothing about any idiot there now as there have been many major incidents where people doing no wrong have been killed.

Better to let someone else be involved in the court case.

Iain
16th June 2004, 05:26 PM
Actually Bob, my Girnals are starting to shrink, the horses are cleaning them out.
I'll let the rest figure that one out for themselves.

Bob Willson
16th June 2004, 06:51 PM
It would appear that the horses have cleaned out your avatar too. All I am getting is a little box that says 'Iain's avatar.'

Or is that your new avatar? :)

Iain
16th June 2004, 10:20 PM
No, but Neil refuses to accept the new one!
Ye Gods, it's only the family crest.
Not even remotely obscene..........except to a sassenach.

Geoff Sims
17th June 2004, 02:02 AM
Wongo

Had someone do a similar thing to me a couple of weeks ago, but he didn't notice that he had pulled in to a reserved parking space (mine, and for which my employer pays a fee). He wasn't about to listen to my protest and just walked away muttering some unseemly comments under his breath.

I simply parked my car behind his and left it there whilst I went about my business. He wasn't impressed when I returned three hours later. As he protested, I just ignored him, hopped in the car and drove away.

Wongo
17th June 2004, 09:28 AM
Dear all,

Thanks for your replies and encouragements. Your kind words are very comforting.

Best regards, :)

Kev Y.
17th June 2004, 10:50 AM
6 foot 1, the tallest Chinese on this planet! :p

your not one of those female olympic swimmers are you???? :p ;) :cool:

Kev

Wongo
17th June 2004, 11:26 AM
Hey I love my chicken soup mate-ty :cool:

LineLefty
17th June 2004, 11:39 AM
I find it amusing actually, this talk of Perth being a sleepy slow city with no rush hour.

Having spent 1hr 15minutes on the freeway travelling to roof valley/joondalup the other day I'd say that a peak "10minutes" is not really on the cards.
Perth is getting larger and larger al lthe time. Theres a certain size (say 1.5mil) when all cities start to look and feel the same. Perth's getting that way. I'll remember the "Wait Awhile" and "10 minute rush hour" comments when I'm crawling along great eastern hwy this arfternoon for 10 minutes (x4)

I've spent five years in canberra (300K ppl), now theres a sleepy city.

On sydney drivers.......well, I actually found driving around Sydney to be pretty easy. You're always stuck in a traffic jam so it's easy to find your way around, - you can look in the map as you drive.

Can you tell it wasa stressfull drive in this morning!??!?!?!

craigb
17th June 2004, 12:04 PM
Adam,

What is your Avatar? I'm buggered if I can make it out. :confused:

LineLefty
17th June 2004, 12:09 PM
It's Anselm Keifers "Twilight of the West"

It's on display at the National Gallery in Canberra.
http://www.nga.gov.au/International/Detail.cfm?IRN=14804&ViewID=3

It's a brilliant textural painting done with lead sheet, synthetic polymer paint, ash, plaster, cement, earth, varnish on canvas and............................wood!

Seriously though, when I first saw it at the NGA it made me want to get away from the grey city and head to thw wider green open spaces.

Bringing a bit of culture to y'all!