PDA

View Full Version : Tree House floor

GeoffVIC
15th June 2004, 03:15 PM
Hi all,
Need some advice on the idea of using exterior plywood sheets (can't recall the thickness - about 18mm?) - I'm building the junior members of the family a tree house. I could do regular decking, but the continuous surface would be easier (for me) and smoother on their feet.
Just wondering about the longevity of ply used horizontally like this and would it be OK to paint with something like paving paint for extra protection from the elements?

Cheers,
Geoff.

silentC
15th June 2004, 03:21 PM
It just so happens that I'm doing this very same thing (except it's on poles, not in a tree). The floor is just cheap 15mm ply, not exterior grade. I've ended up buying a tin of Marine Gloss to seal it with because it's weather proof and can be used in high-wear areas.

An alternative is to use Bondcrete. Hovo reckons the ply floor in his boat has lasted for 3 years so far after sealing with 50/50 bondcrete, so you could give that a go.

GeoffVIC
15th June 2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks for that - I'll go with the ply/marine gloss :-) much easier.....
I've just done the support framing so far out of 190x45 and will do the joists in 90x45 next weekend - weather permitting! Lots of rain yesterday :-(

Mine's basically a triangle - poles at the back, a tree at the front too, if the finished construction works out, I'll put up some piccies up for fun.

Cheers,
Geoff

silentC
15th June 2004, 04:11 PM
Mine is on 90mm stormwater pipe posts filled to floor level with concrete (we have bad termite problems here) with T/P frame for the floor. The rest is ply. It's like one of those jobs you see in the council playgrounds (or will be). I'll post some pictures too. Just hope I get it finished before the kids grow up ;)