PDA

View Full Version : Custom chopper

Pages : [1] 2

scotty60
24th April 2009, 10:49 PM
Today i decided to go ahead with a chopper build so i went down to bunnings to get some suppliesIt will be made up as i go along i have a rough idea what i want but im shore there will be a few changes as it happens. The model will end up approx 500mm long so heres the start of it building the frame.

scotty

:aus:

Wongdai
24th April 2009, 11:03 PM
Great start. I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

Maybe a spoked wheel for the front though.

scotty60
25th April 2009, 10:24 PM
Today i cut and drilled out the neck for the forks and welded on, also foot rest and ground and cleaned up welds.Cut out front rim.Tomorrow i have to get more rod to make front forks.

scotty

:aussie5:

CHEERS

scotty60
26th April 2009, 09:04 PM
went back to bunnings got some more supplies then got to work.First i cut, ground and drilled the 8mm rod for the ends of the forks,then cut the 6mm rod for the forks.Next i cut out and drilled and ground the fork braces.I then cut and drilled the axles for the rims, once done i mounted everything in position.I then started to assemble the engine block.

scotty

CHEERS

AUSSIE
26th April 2009, 09:33 PM
Scotty you are magic Man.I love the chopper.
When I saw the engine,it made me think of the glow engines in the 1/8th scale RC cars etc.Put a couple off pullies and a belt etc to the back wheel.:oo:
Just joking.
Your chopper is so lifelike Aussie:2tsup:

http://www.modelflight.com.au/pics/thunder_tiger_car.gif (http://www.modelflight.com.au/thunder_tiger_motors_heli.htm)

scotty60
26th April 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the comment Aussie,

im impressed how its coming up to still got other cylinder and gearbox and belt drive to go then ill start with the tank and all the rest of the custom metalwork over the body.

scotty

CHEERS

Rhys Cooper
27th April 2009, 04:21 PM
Looks great.

Ironically I just finished watching an episode of American Chopper. :)

poulso
27th April 2009, 09:09 PM
Lookin good Scotty :2tsup:

scotty60
2nd May 2009, 07:06 PM
Got the forks silver soldered this afternoon and started on making the gearbox but will have to put on hold for a couple weeks cause ive got to build a rabbit hutch for the sister inlaw.

scotty

CHEERS

scotty60
30th May 2009, 07:37 PM
Still not quit finished rabbit hutch yet most probaly tomorrow but i manage to do a little on the chopper. Ive finished off the second cycinder and welded on, fabed a gearbox and mounted, changed the rear tyre to a larger diameter and start fabing the tank and side panels.

scotty

CHEERS

scotty60
7th June 2009, 08:09 PM
Got abit more done today on the metal bodywork

scotty

CHEERS

munruben
8th June 2009, 10:49 AM
Incredible, absolutely incredible. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

scotty60
8th June 2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the comments munruben still plenty more to come, so stay tuned

scotty60
8th June 2009, 07:39 PM
And some more bodywork done today, not happy with this gasless mig but have to make do. It will turn out fine in the end.

scotty60
20th June 2009, 06:52 PM
Was all reved up and ready to do a good days work(afternoon after soccer)i got stuck into the rear fender got most of that done,then i wanted to start on the seat area and start welding it all together when i ran out of mig wire :doh:.So off to bunnings tomorrow to do some shopping and hopefully a better day tomorrow.

scotty60
21st June 2009, 07:15 PM
Went to bunnings got the mig wire and got back and got stuck into it.I welded the rear fender into place then started to weld the seat into position and moulded it into the fender.Next i finished welding up the bottom of the petrol tank. I welded in the steering lock to restrict the turn.I then started grinding all the welds over the whole body,Also got the rear wheel fixed in position.I've done some cad drawings which ill take to work and waterjet some crosses to mould on the bike.Later ill draw the front and rear discs and then waterjet.

fity_fity
22nd June 2009, 07:37 PM
very crafty! Look forward to seeing more pics as its progresses.

scotty60
26th June 2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks Fity Fity but i might not be posting and further updates ,i am deciding wether i will be or not.:(

scotty60
27th June 2009, 06:16 PM
Ive decided to keep on posting WIP on the chopper so heres what i did today. First i welded the cross that i waterjeted onto the back of the seat so it became a back rest and finished moulding it into the guard.Next i started making the front guard,i cut the top then sides and welded the sides on then ground down all welds and mounted it in postion between the forks an welded in place.Then i mount the other 2 crosses on the forks to make fender stays out of them.

AUSSIE
27th June 2009, 06:41 PM
Scotty.Glad you got the WIP out:;:oo: WIP is going along fine by the looks of things.
Keep it going.Aussie:2tsup:

scotty60
27th June 2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks Aussie

i wanted to get onto the handles also today but could find were i put the metal, ive found a good hiding spot.Better luck tomorrow.

AUSSIE
27th June 2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks Aussie

i wanted to get onto the handles also today but could find were i put the metal, ive found a good hiding spot.Better luck tomorrow.
You have that trouble too!!!.So it's not old age that causes it.I cant find stuff I was using yesterday.I think someone gets in over night and pinches my small bits of wood.Maybe not?:doh:

scotty60
27th June 2009, 07:46 PM
Ive also decided to move back home.:2tsup:

artme
28th June 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm glad you have the patience to do that sort of work Scotty because I dont.

Great progress.:2tsup:

scotty60
28th June 2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks Artme

got the patience from repairing cars,glad you like but theres still alot to do yet.This afternoon i got the handlebars bent up and welded in to postion.

scotty60
30th June 2009, 10:00 PM
Im still not sure about handle bars yet will have to decide if going to change or not.Any surgestions?

AUSSIE
1st July 2009, 04:11 PM
Im still not sure about handle bars yet will have to decide if going to change or not.Any surgestions?
Not sure what to do with them either,but the handgrip ends are at the wrong angle I think Just my 2 cents worth.It is going along fine Scotty keep it up:2tsup:
Been of the net over a day:~

scotty60
2nd July 2009, 09:17 PM
just finished bending them more to the outside of the bike,also brought the bike inside so i look at it bit more to help decide.

Harry72
2nd July 2009, 10:06 PM
Awesome model making Scotty!

Cant say I like the ape hangers, flat bars look much tougher and modern.
I reckon you should put one of those motors Ausssie suggested, make up a mock rear cylinder block for that authentic V... then you could take it to bike shows pop some smokey burnout demos!(dont forget a post or stobie pole on the stand/base to put the front wheel against!)

scotty60
2nd July 2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks Harry72

not really shore i like them also but had to start somewhere, i will most probally bend up a few different styles and try them as i said it all in my head no plans to go off just look and try to see what looks good.My sons mates brother owns a full on chopper $120,000 worth has like a v handle bars that look good so ill try something like that also,Have pics of it here i will post some pics of it shortly.

scotty60
2nd July 2009, 10:50 PM
here try are

scotty60
3rd July 2009, 07:29 PM
Took it to work today and showed the guys and all of them said leave the handlebars it suit the bike becuase of the big rake on the front. :2tsup: or :no:

AUSSIE
3rd July 2009, 08:39 PM
Took it to work today and showed the guys and all of them said leave the handlebars it suit the bike becuase of the big rake on the front. :2tsup: or :no:
Best to leave them then.If they all said they were OK they must be.!00% approval is fairly convincing:2tsup:

scotty60
3rd July 2009, 08:49 PM
Will leave for now and keep going with rest,still a bit of time to change.I want to find a skull to use for headlight,will increase sides of rear guard down to rim of rear wheel,then finish grind here and there then will take to work again and sandblast whole body and then coat with a 2 pack epoxy etch primer.Once dry i can then start to apply the filler to the body.

AUSSIE
11th July 2009, 10:23 PM
How is the Chopper going Scotty?I am missing it.

Billy
15th July 2009, 06:15 PM
love to see how the choppers goin!:D

How long is it? Looks like 12 inches or so?:?

keep up the wip:photo2:

cheers, billy

scotty60
15th July 2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks Aussie & Billy,
The modelis about 540mm long.I havent touch the bike since i took it to work been busy diong things around house and making a man of the match trophey for my sons soccer team.Hopefully ill get back to the bike on the weekend.

scotty60
19th July 2009, 08:24 PM
Only got to work on the bike for about 2 hours today,played around with front guard lining up edge guard with the edge of the rim,then i started on the back guard where i had to weld more metal onto the guard to line it up with the edge of the rim.Once welded in i ground and filed it back to line up,then i ground down the welds to finish it off.

AUSSIE
19th July 2009, 10:10 PM
Getting closer now,I like the way the back guard is taking shape .Its Tough:2tsup:

munruben
21st July 2009, 03:41 PM
I have been watching your progress scotty and I must say it is absolutely incredible the work you have done on this machine. It's really coming to life and looking great. Keep it up and keep those pics rolling in. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

scotty60
21st July 2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks Munruben,

i appreciate the comments made,still a got long way to go but im really enjoying building it. Ive got no plans to go off its all in my head getting different ideas of pictures and putting them together.I will say now this wont be the last one i build.I have already got designs going through my brain.

scotty60
25th July 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi guys,

Been busy today playing around making handlebars,I've ended up with these ones so what do you think these ones look better or the ape bars in the older pics.I also made up the carburator manifolds and mounted in place.I am having a carby on each side of the motor.

we post pics shortly having problems.

scotty60
1st August 2009, 07:21 PM
Today got home from work and started to clean up shed a bit,just before it got dark i knocked up the 2 air cleaners.

Billy
1st August 2009, 11:02 PM
they're koool

cheers, billy

scotty60
7th August 2009, 09:13 PM
Today i got stuck into the motor getting the air cleaners soldered on, the drive gear and drive belt and the exhaust bent up and soldered into postion.All up at the moment the bike weighs 2.26kg or 5lb.not much more to do except find skull for headlight ,bit grinding here and there then get body sandblasted and etched.

AUSSIE
7th August 2009, 09:27 PM
Wow Scotty going strong now.Has plenty of little fiddly bits to sandblast.Is it a small gun they use for that? I look every day to see if you have done more:2tsup:

scotty60
7th August 2009, 09:37 PM
i have a sandblasting machine at work that you can put a sheet of glass 3660 x 2440 and it is feed though on a convyer belt and sandblasted with 3 automatic guns,it also has 1 gun that you can use manually which is what i will use to do the bike.

scotty60
15th August 2009, 07:21 PM
Today i just filed around welds and edges to smooth them out and soldered on clutch and brake handle on handle bars and gear pedal on foot rest. No pics this time with put with next post.

scotty60
16th August 2009, 08:46 PM
Today i fixed up the gear pedal and made up a speedo and soldered it on and mounded a petrol cap on the tank.

AUSSIE
16th August 2009, 10:02 PM
OK Scotty.
We get the drift.
You use a large microscope to see what you are doing.:D
I wouldnt be able to see well enough to do those small things.
A credit to you Scotty.Keep it coming:2tsup:

scotty60
16th August 2009, 11:56 PM
Cheers Aussie,

Wasnt going to worry about them but i thought what the hell. Went to bunnings today got some more stuff for the next bike im building.You decided what your building next or you got something going aready.

AUSSIE
19th August 2009, 09:09 PM
Cheers Aussie,

Wasnt going to worry about them but i thought what the hell. Went to bunnings today got some more stuff for the next bike im building.You decided what your building next or you got something going aready.
You mentioned your next bike.Well I have an engine ready to go.Water cooled 10cc 4 stroke,Polished alle and chrome.What do you reckon Scotty:2tsup::B:o

scotty60
19th August 2009, 09:28 PM
Looks good actually, i was down in the shed tonite looking at the rear tyre i have brought for the next bike and it bigger than the on ive used now ,so i thought the bike will have to increase in size around 600-700mm maybe, i looked at the rod i had and thought ive got that covered but what do i do with the motor,i'll have to look for new base and bigger washers.i was that tempted to start the new chopper tonite but i thought no got to finish other one first so i got out of the shed and came inside.The new bike shouldnt take as long as this bike to build but you should be pretty impressed with it.Still have a few things to work out how to do yet but shouldnt be to hard to work out.

Billy
19th August 2009, 11:30 PM
that chopper's lookin good Scotty.
Love the detail.

Aussie, what is that motor for?

cheers, billy:2tsup:

AUSSIE
19th August 2009, 11:34 PM
that chopper's lookin good Scotty.
Love the detail.

Aussie, what is that motor for?Model boat

cheers, billy:2tsup:
I just put on Ebay starting at $195.Having a good cleanout I need the room
Sorry for the Hijack scotty:2tsup:

munruben
20th August 2009, 04:25 PM
Bikes looking terrific Scotty. Very impressive:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

scotty60
20th August 2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks again guys for the comments,no problems Aussie theres alot of threads that run otherways all the time.

scotty60
24th August 2009, 08:01 PM
Took the chopper for a run down to the national park on sunday, went great, beautiful day and great scenery. :2tsup:

artme
3rd September 2009, 10:01 AM
Great progress Scotty.:2tsup:

Loved your "Man of The Match" trophy. Very original.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

scotty60
3rd September 2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks Artme,

Glad you like,The boys and parents were all very impressed as,well,i think it made the boys lift their game to win it each week which got them into the grand final.But they didnt win. Will have to build bigger and better next year maybe.

scotty60
5th September 2009, 09:03 PM
Went to work today and took the chopper with me to sandblast it.One thing i did forget was the camera to take a pic of the sandblasting unit for Aussie(will post a pic ltr). I blasted all the bike and brought home the expoxy primer and applied 3 coats to frame,tank and motor. I then made a suicide shift and mounted it. I still have a little bit of work to do to the forks then i will expoxy it and the gearbox.

artme
5th September 2009, 09:40 PM
Ah yes,nothing like removing crud to give satisfaction.

scotty60
12th September 2009, 05:38 PM
Got home from sons soccer,did a bit of cleaning up leaves and vacumed the pool then got stuck into the petrol tank and got that bogged up and ready for putty.Now getting ready to go party at neices 21st, so hopefully i be able to do some work on it tomorrow and post some pics.

artme
13th September 2009, 01:22 AM
Wot's this. After all my unasked for praise, no invite:?:q

scotty60
13th September 2009, 09:59 PM
Sorry artme but i thought brazil was too far to come to get to here in time,

Got more bogging done today on the frame. Added a ridge to the rear fender.

AUSSIE
13th September 2009, 10:07 PM
Looking good Scotty.I thought you were spending the weekend out on the town,but you have had sometime at home.Very good.Not long now by the look of things
You would think Artme would have better things to do in Brazil than follow the WWF:D:D

scotty60
13th September 2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks Aussie,

Got to bed about 2.30,got out off bed 11.00 relatives came over for Qld and checked out my projects,when they left got stuck into the body forming.

Billy
15th September 2009, 07:12 PM
Really comin' together now Scotty,:D lookin' good:2tsup:
Have you picked a colour scheme?

Cheers, Billy:fireman:

scotty60
15th September 2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks Billy

i want to use a proper chrome paint for the engine, forks and bars ($450 a litre)and maybe a candy apple red for the frame with some graphics maybe.

scotty60
19th September 2009, 07:26 PM
Got stuck back into the bogging,got most of the body done today a few more touch ups here and there body will be finished ready for 2 pack putty.

munruben
20th September 2009, 10:24 AM
Wow, its looking super Scotty.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

scotty60
20th September 2009, 11:33 AM
Some pics from yesterday

scotty60
20th September 2009, 07:31 PM
Got the rest of the body finish and also the motor so next week i'll get it puttied up and start on the forks.

AUSSIE
20th September 2009, 07:50 PM
Going along super Scotty.
See how much you can get done when you not out all weekend playing up?
Just joking.
I can't wait to see it finished:2tsup:

scotty60
20th September 2009, 07:54 PM
Aussie,

I was out today till 3.00 son's 10 th birthday so i was lucky got finished

AUSSIE
20th September 2009, 07:57 PM
:B:o:roll:

scotty60
26th September 2009, 05:37 PM
Had to work today so i took the chopper to work with me and got it puttied up in between painting some splashbacks.

pic 1: spraybooth and oven
pic 2 & 3: under putty
pic 4: splashback getting painted
pic 5: sandblaster (pic for Aussie)
pic 6: one of the waterjet machines
pic 7: glass toughening furnace
pic 8: hotrod got on ebay that i will replacate one day

Billy
26th September 2009, 08:06 PM
Hi Scotty, thats a kool looking set up.:2tsup:

Chopper's lookin good.:)

Love the old hot rod, is that a hand made one?:biker:
Unusual engine.:?

keep it up:D

cheers, billy:fireman:

scotty60
26th September 2009, 08:14 PM
Hi Billy

the hot rod is made in china but yes it looks handmade the way its constructed.

munruben
27th September 2009, 02:14 PM
Wow Scotty, you are really getting somewhere now. its looking terrific. have you got an idea as to when it will be finished?

scotty60
27th September 2009, 07:55 PM
Hi Munruben,

i would expect around another couple of months yet before its finished.

artme
30th September 2009, 08:35 AM
Nice to have all the required gear!! Looking good.

scotty60
5th October 2009, 07:21 PM
didnt get much at all done on chopper this weekend,but i do need help.Im having trouble finding a skull for the headlight,so if anyone can help me that would be great.It must be metal about 25mm in height im willing to pay for it.

:help2::please2:

AUSSIE
5th October 2009, 09:05 PM
didnt get much at all done on chopper this weekend,but i do need help.Im having trouble finding a skull for the headlight,so if anyone can help me that would be great.It must be metal about 25mm in height im willing to pay for it.

:help2::please2:

http://auih.merchantrunglobal.com/ImageHosting/ViewImage.aspx?GlobalID=1003&MerchantID=1538&ImageID=2530&DisplaySize=400&ListingID=143425
HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10-X-Chrome-Skull-License-Plate-Windshield-Bolts-Screw_W0QQitemZ250498631717QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a52e1c825&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) and HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Men-Skull-316-Stainless-Steel-Hip-Hop-Ring-R036-Size-11_W0QQitemZ250505577023QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Mens_Jewellery?hash=item3a534bc23f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

AUSSIE
5th October 2009, 09:14 PM
and some better ones HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Chrome-Skull-LED-Licence-plate-bolts-Number-plate-Red_W0QQitemZ130305424242QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e56cefb72&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

scotty60
6th October 2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the links Aussie,
ive been searching ebay for weeks now and no luck but these look like they may work.

scotty60
22nd October 2009, 06:57 PM
Sorry guys havent had a chance to work on the the chopper for weeks now,wifes had me busy around house on weekends amd work busy during week. Did 19 hrs straight yesterday with about 3 hrs sleep then back into it again, i suprised im still awake now typing this. Hopefully ill get something done on saturday after i finish work. :sleep2::sleep2::sleep2:

AUSSIE
22nd October 2009, 07:00 PM
We can wait.I think the lot of us have had other things going lately.Not many posts at all.:2tsup:

scotty60
31st October 2009, 06:31 PM
Finally got around to doing something on the chopper, i finished welding and grinding a couple of things on the forks so ill have to take them back to work to re sandblast them then expoy prime them.Then i got stuck into rubbing down the frame and tank ready for base coat to be applied.

scotty60
1st November 2009, 08:22 PM
Today i was in the painting mood so i keep going with the chopper.Ive changed my mind on the colour now its orange with a gold pearl mixed in,so far its only base coated ill re rub it next week and apply the final coats.

Harry72
1st November 2009, 09:31 PM
Almost looks like copper:)

Billy
2nd November 2009, 01:45 PM
awesome colour Scotty, its gonna look kooooooool
cheers, billy

munruben
3rd November 2009, 09:16 AM
Love the colour. Looking terrific, work of art mate.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artme
6th November 2009, 09:49 PM
Flaming marvelous>>>:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

scotty60
15th November 2009, 08:31 PM
Ok didnt get anything done last week , had to get my alcohol brewing cause im starting to run low.This week i got the body and tank rubbed down and the final basecoat and the final clear coat applied to the body.

AUSSIE
15th November 2009, 09:26 PM
Great finish there Scotty.The black rod is looking allright as well.
In your collections,what do you have the most off.!.
1- Battery Drills
2- Spray Guns
Just thought I would ask:oo::o

scotty60
15th November 2009, 10:10 PM
Thats easy of cause its sprayguns around 30 :oo: of them including airbushes,touch up,putty and spray.

scotty60
17th November 2009, 08:55 PM
Not happy got home early from work thought id get some done on the chopper. I fitted the rear tyre and front forks then the motor but the paint build up wasnt letting the motor sit propally, so i tried to bent the exhaust slightly and snap it fell off in my hands, so no have to stuff around and reset the exhaust not happy jan :((

AUSSIE
17th November 2009, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear that Scotty.
I think most of us know what that feels like.
I new a guy that spat the dummy and pitched the item he was making one day,Broke the whole thing.Can't think of his name:D

artme
18th November 2009, 01:01 AM
Not happy got home early from work thought id get some done on the chopper. I fitted the rear tyre and front forks then the motor but the paint build up wasnt letting the motor sit propally, so i tried to bent the exhaust slightly and snap it fell off in my hands, so no have to stuff around and reset the exhaust not happy jan :((

And of course we said "OH bother!":D:D:D

Scotty is the clear coat a catalyzed finish? If not what is it.

I've been toying with the idea of clear finish for pens.