PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Firewood

Hickory
25th April 2009, 01:39 AM
What do you do with Hollow forms? I had Hollow form on my mind when I saw this chunk of firewood, but I wish I had turned it into a bowl instead... Just couldn't let this chunk of Box Elder go up in smoke...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1050076.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/P1050079.jpg

Paul39
25th April 2009, 01:47 AM
Wow !

Ad de Crom
25th April 2009, 08:49 AM
Saw before more box elder hollow forms, but this one is just stunning.
Rich color, very nice shape, I love it!!!!!
Want see more!!
Ad :2tsup::2tsup:

Ed Reiss
25th April 2009, 11:52 AM
pretty nice turning Bill...whats the finish??

orraloon
25th April 2009, 02:09 PM
That is one that really stands out. Great work. Would have been a shame indeed if it had gone up in smoke.

Mulgabill
25th April 2009, 04:49 PM
Hey Hickory!
Love that Flame Box Elder. I had a couple pieces but not as much flame as that and I lost most of it in the turning. Great turning of hollow form!:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th April 2009, 04:56 PM
Hey, who spiked my coffee! :oo:

Very nice. From the looks of the underside, it would've been easy to lose the colour if you chose the wrong form.

ElizaLeahy
25th April 2009, 06:15 PM
Holy moly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dats BEWDIFUL!!!!!!!!!

dai sensei
25th April 2009, 07:06 PM
Your burn this stuff :o:smack: But you probably think the same when some of us burn redgum.

Great save :2tsup:

Hickory
26th April 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks, lot of nice words for an old Hack.... Finish is Wipe-On Poly, forgot how many coats as I usually wipe a coat when I finish wiping a coat on something else. Someone reminded me that I started this piece almost 3 months ago :- but I did the work in a couple of evening sessions but the finish was drawn out because I ran out of poly and kept forgetting to get more :( until I had a paying job and forced myself to go get finish... :2tsup: Money talks loudly around here...

All I did was try to capture all the Flame w/o grinding it away.... That is how the design came about. I had an idea as l looking at the chunk, but then all of a sudden there was all that color and it all came together. Then I wanted to try a deep hollow form so I suffered through small 1/4" spindle gouge with a fingernail grind. and a 1/4" round nose scraper.

Wayne Blanch
26th April 2009, 12:46 PM
That is a lovely piece:2tsup: Wonderful timber and a great shape.