PDA

View Full Version : Olive timber from my "neck of the woods"!

robutacion
25th April 2009, 04:38 AM
Hi everyone,

Once again, lets talk olive wood...!

This time, I'm focussing on 2 (two) things, one is how to identify the olive timber that I collect from the region, and secondly how to recognise the various grades and what to expect from each one.

Olive timber is olive timber, regardless where it grows or comes from, and in this case all my olive trees were planted in this region, which is called SA Fluerieu Peninsula, approx. 50 miles South of Adelaide. For this reason and to be accurate and fair to those first Settlers that planted them, and to the families that made this region what it is today, I decided to follow the International code for recognition of these species and their origin, by naming it, FPOW - Fluerieu Peninsula Olive Wood.

It would be fair to say that McLaren Vale, is located in the heart of the Fleurieu Peninsula Region in SA and Mt. Compass, my area, is only about 25km South of it. Now that we got the origin (location) from where these trees come from, lets add another name, that is my doing but differentiates also, other types of olive that I can get from the same area/region.
So recapping, he have 3 main distinct variations of the local FPOW, one is the Wild Olive, #20 on my list, the other is the Majestic Olive, #21 on that same list and finally, Old Olive Root, which is #22.

I hope that this will clarify any attempts to deliberately or not, identifying this olive wood as coming from any other locations/places/states or countries...!

The intention and particularly with this timber species the "Olive Tree", is to select and identify it by grading, and the various possible timber variations found in a single tree. I believe, this idea and method of mine will assist people to easily identify what they want and how much they are prepare to spend. Small quantities (500gr) of all grades will be the first step, then and depending of how each one sees a piece of timber and some of its natural characteristics, (either a defect or a feature), higher grades will provide better quality timber or in another words, timbers with less flaws or imperfections. Colouration and texture, will be also one of the grades criteria. Is only one person grading the timber so, all pieces will be looked at from the same set of eyes! (glasses needed:C:~)

Now, lets see, grades...! there will be;

*- Wild olive (one grade so far)
*- Old Olive Root (one grade so far)
*- Majestic Olive (FPOW)
- A1++ (highest grade)
- A1 grade
- A2 grade
- A3 grade

Will take no time for everyone know what is what, as I have been documenting these timber for some time, including lots of pics. Nevertheless,
a lot more has been said lately about these grades and how I'm making them available to anyone interested, and for that, I would suggest you to have a look at this thread Here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=94391), as the place where I initiated this process. So that I don't have to copy and paste (duplicate) most of its recent posts info (last 4 days or so).

I will tough, repeat most of the last post and pics, I added on that thread before this new thread was initiated (open). I hope that I was clear enough on my explanations and that this information can be of some help to you.:D

"Olive Majestic A1++ pen blanks!"

[I]"As promised, here I am with the pics from some samples I have prepared today of the #21 Majestic Top grade A1++ pen blanks.

They are cut about 22mm x 22mm 130mm +. Green timber, waxed both ends as per normal. According to my digital scales, 7 (seven) blanks are what will fit in a 500gr Post bag. Not yet tested but, if calculation work right, a 3 kg Post bag, will take about 42 full blanks.

On the samples that I prepared (turned) today, I used no glues or any fillers of any kind, after the blanks were turned to the desired size, they were sanded up to 400 grit, with of coat of sending sealer immediately after. After dry, the sealer was rubbed very lightly with some 0000 steel wool and the 2/3 from the narrow end up was finished with 1x coat of Arganoil, buffed gently after, once!

I have used a picture that I had from a log that I have slabbed last year, to show and explain where the different figures, texturing & colours come from. within a mature large tree log. The colours on that picture were brought-up with clean rain water for best viewing. This slab does show clearly that not all heartwood is brown, indeed these soft edges and texture of these yellow pockets, are as rare and beautiful and most browns ever will. This is the reason why any blanks like this harvested/cut from the centers of the large logs, are most certainly be part of the top grade of this timber species as A1++. There is a good variation of colours and textures amongst this top grade tough!

Other timbers are getting a "special air cut" and the results will also be available soon.

All grades and different quantities packs are already available on eBay, apart from the A1++, that I can put on tomorrow, what is in the pics bellow (3 x 7 blanks and 1 x 5 1/2) or wait a little longer to have some more cut hopefully if the weather dries a little, we have been having some good "dumps" these last 24 hours, and is more to come! will see."

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

gawdelpus
25th April 2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks so much for that in depth explanation, and attention to detail on the "less than humble" olive tree. If you do your "pens" with the same love and care you exhibit for your timber you will make truly beautiful works of art. I would think any one who sees this timber cannot fail to be totally impressed with what you have done !! :2tsup:
Cheers ~John :)

watsrags
25th April 2009, 11:43 AM
for us who will not deal with ebay what sort of pricing are you changing for blanks as per photos above

Trevor

robutacion
25th April 2009, 07:19 PM
for us who will not deal with ebay what sort of pricing are you changing for blanks as per photos above

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for reminding me that, not everyone likes eBay, or buys from there, (anymore!:~).

I'm responding to your question by PM, but all that information will be available on my thread on Buy, Swap & Sell and on my web site very soon.
As a point of reference, any items listed on eBay with a Buy it Now price, timbers and prices will be similar/identical if sold off eBay (directly to me),
there is, items listed on eBay, will only be sold there, identical items (timbers) are available direct if preferred.

RBTCO

Interwood
8th May 2009, 11:52 PM
Received my Fluerieu Peninsula Olive Wood from Robutacion (RBTCO) and am very pleasantly surprised at the beauty of the FPOW and the way it dresses up a Slimline pen kit. :D Only problem is I can't get a good photograph that does it justice. :-

The beauty of this Olive Wood is very delicate, subtle and real interesting to look at. :2tsup:

Pictured is pen 21 - 01 - 1. Majestic Olive, blank 1, pen 1. (Because 21 is RBTCO's code, 01 because I plan to use a few blanks and 1 because I got 4 beautiful pens out of the first blank.) Finish is wet sanded with shellac to 2000 grit, then 2 coats Satin Hut wax and 1 coat of Gloss Hut wax.

Thanks RBTCO. :2tsup: Thank you for sharing this beautiful wood.

Again, apologies about the photo quality (but I've been wanting to post pics all week :~ ) ... I'll try to do better over the weekend. :;

Interwood

PS. It is another Olive wood in the background, which smells great but seems plain by comparison to FPOW.

robutacion
9th May 2009, 11:24 PM
Received my Fluerieu Peninsula Olive Wood from Robutacion (RBTCO) and am very pleasantly surprised at the beauty of the FPOW and the way it dresses up a Slimline pen kit. :D Only problem is I can't get a good photograph that does it justice. :-

The beauty of this Olive Wood is very delicate, subtle and real interesting to look at. :2tsup:

Pictured is pen 21 - 01 - 1. Majestic Olive, blank 1, pen 1. (Because 21 is RBTCO's code, 01 because I plan to use a few blanks and 1 because I got 4 beautiful pens out of the first blank.) Finish is wet sanded with shellac to 2000 grit, then 2 coats Satin Hut wax and 1 coat of Gloss Hut wax.

Thanks RBTCO. :2tsup: Thank you for sharing this beautiful wood.

Again, apologies about the photo quality (but I've been wanting to post pics all week :~ ) ... I'll try to do better over the weekend. :;

Interwood

PS. It is another Olive wood in the background, which smells great but seems plain by comparison to FPOW.

Thanks Interwood, for your comments.
Is really a shame that the pics didn't come up clear, as I know how it feels not to be able to get the camera to make justice to certain timbers. I can see that is indeed a beautiful pen made out of one good blank. You are the first one to ackowledge and confirm that was indeed possible to get 4 blanks (slims) out of my original 1" blanks, as I claimed and that is what I call a good yield and a very economic one!

I'm also pleased that for the first time, someone has called my #21 timber species by its proper and correct name. I can see that someone has understood why I felt important to name this wood, following a code than can be recognized anywhere, and at the same time identify its origin. Its only one Fleurieu Peninsula in the world, and that is locate in S.A. in Australia.

I hope that the other blanks look as good as this one, even tough they were cut from the same piece (1" x 1" x 5 1/2"), they will all look different. Imagine how many different "looks" of timbers I get, out of a full tree...!:o

Well done, and keep them coming...!:D

PS: Oh, and just in case you have forgotten, there many more from were that one has come from...!:;:)

RBTCO

ElizaLeahy
14th May 2009, 07:12 PM
My camera is really basic, but I put it on "close up" and take photos with the flash inside, or during the day take them outside in the sun - but shade, not full sun. That seems to work.

It's great wood, isn't it?

Sawdust Maker
19th May 2009, 10:21 PM
I reckon it should be called "SAO" wood :D