PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Moulders vs Routers

Jas The Master
25th April 2009, 06:22 AM
I am looking at making my own router table, keen to get a unilift for my triton router. But have a question regarding spindle moulders - can they perform the same function as a router table >

joez
25th April 2009, 08:20 AM
Running router bits on a spindle moulder/shaper usually has its limits becuase the speeds are limited (usually slower) reducing the quality of the cut on smaller router bits.

If your considering using a spindle moulder instead of a router, spindle moulders generally give a better cut , the larger heads lead to a better cutting angle.

Another consideration is the cost of tooling, router bits are much cheaper.

Oh, and spindle moulders are considered to be one of the most dangerous toools out there.

joez

Jas The Master
26th April 2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks Joez, will stick to a dedicated router rather than spindle moulder. Would like to keep all my fingers !!

vugah
16th May 2009, 08:22 PM
Helo joez
I don't think it a good idea wanting to use a spindle moulder because it is one of the most dangerous tool to be used.A router is adapted to many kinds of work.modern routers are often used in the place of traditional moulding plane or spindle moulder machine for edge decoration so it is good

Wood Borer
16th May 2009, 09:13 PM
Spindle moulders can run in reverse and tilt which gives them heaps more flexibility. My spindle moulder can take router bits and spin at 15,000 RPM plus tilt the router spindle. Changing from spindle moulder spindle to router spindle takes only a couple of minutes.

Like any machine used dangerously and/or incorrectly they can be unsafe but used correctly they do a great job safely.

I suggest that if you can't afford all the safety accessories for a spindle moulder then delay purchasing one until you can.

Groggy
16th May 2009, 09:49 PM
I've often wondered where the value is in buying a router, router lift and table when the total cost exceeds that of the more powerful and flexible spindle moulder. Wood Borer is right about the safety aspects. In fact, having fed a finger through a router, if I was using a moulder I'd spend a bit more and get a power feed. Safer and better consistency in the cut.

router $300
router lift up to $600 (digital)
table $300

Total $1200 if you buy each item.

Economy spindle moulder is about $1000 for a 3/4" 1 1/2hp
♦2hp shaper is $1295, and
the 3HP one in the picture is only $1295 at the moment!! :oo:(no tilt) Click the pic to go to the site.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/images/hires/CTH-303E-1PH.jpg (http://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery-for-wood-and-metal-working/moulding-machines/carba-tec-3-speed-spindle-moulder-cth-303)

Big Shed
16th May 2009, 09:55 PM
You're skewing the costs here a bit Greg! :wink:

Take out you $600 height winder, don't need one with a Triton router, and you have halved the cost!

Also, my table didn't even come close to costing me $300:no: (the Incra fence upped the cost though:o)

Interesting question though, never having worked with a spindle moulder, I'm not qualified to answer it.

I have a question of my own though, can you do trenching cuts with a spindle moulder?

Groggy
16th May 2009, 10:00 PM
I don't think I have skewed the costs, I have in fact rounded down. A number of people have recently bought very similar configurations and the height winders were part of it.

Where the three are bought together they amount to a sizable sum and that is my point. If spending that much a shaper is in the same cost bracket.

Yes you can remove the lift, and you can use an offcut in a vice for a table, and a second hand trimmer as a router, but I was only referring to the 3 items being bought at the same time, new.

I guess it is similar to the Triton vs 10HB argument. Once you buy all the parts new you may as well get a 10HB.

DJ’s Timber
16th May 2009, 10:12 PM
Fred whilst it is true that you wouldn't need a height winder for the Triton, you've got to remember that anyone who is starting out now would probably have to buy the height winder as the Triton is no longer available unless you can pick up a second hand one.

But in this case the OP has one already so a height winder isn't necessarily needed

Rocker
17th May 2009, 07:43 AM
If you buy a Makita 3612C router, you will not need a lift. The knob on the router works perfectly well as a lift, when it is used in a router table.

Rocker

echnidna
17th May 2009, 11:07 AM
The biggest advantage about a spindle moulder is learning to grind your own cutters so you have infinetily shapes available. But they're not worth messing around with generally.

A power feeder is very handy whether on a router table or on a spindle moulder or even on a saw bench.

Jas The Master
17th May 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've got a Triton TRA001 so will stick with making a router table for it. Eventhough when adding on the cost of Unilift it'll probably be dearer, but it sounds like the safer option.

China
17th May 2009, 10:35 PM
To put it simply a router table is a poor mans spindle moulder, if you can afford a spindle moulder you will never regret it, as for for the safety aspect don't be fooled turning a router upside down and mounting it in a table ( just like a spindle moulder ) will present you with the same safety concerns

china

Groggy
18th May 2009, 12:07 PM
I have a question of my own though, can you do trenching cuts with a spindle moulder?Nearly missed this. Fred, it the spindle moulder has the accessory that allows use of router bits, then yes.