PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroo Pull along Plan please

Chipman
25th April 2009, 07:07 PM
Hi,

It must be time I started making toys again...I was wondering if anyone has a plan for a kangaroo pull along toy with movng legs? So far google has let me down!

A picture would help if no plan is available

Cheers,

Chipman

Buzza
25th April 2009, 11:19 PM
Chipman, I did have, and probably still do, a plan for a kangaroo that hops down an incline by itself. (not pull along). I had one of these as an infant (60 years back), and whilst surfing the web one night, I found one of these toys for sale. I saved the picture and set about trying to make one. I'm not good at that sort of thing, but if you are, and you want to have a look for yourself, I will try to dig it out of my pattern box. :cool:

If it can be made to work, the action is very much likelike.

Chipman
26th April 2009, 09:51 PM
Chipman, I did have, and probably still do, a plan for a kangaroo that hops down an incline by itself. (not pull along). I had one of these as an infant (60 years back), and whilst surfing the web one night, I found one of these toys for sale. I saved the picture and set about trying to make one. I'm not good at that sort of thing, but if you are, and you want to have a look for yourself, I will try to dig it out of my pattern box. :cool:

If it can be made to work, the action is very much likelike. Thanks Buzza...I think I have found a picture on the web of the Kangaroo you are talking about...it hops down a sloped track.

Regards,

Chipman

Buzza
26th April 2009, 11:18 PM
That sounds like the same one I have then. I think you need to cut the legs out together one on top of the other to get them perfectly even.

My brother and I used to set up long planks to see how far the roo would go, but they venture to the left or or right. Ten years back, I purchased my first granddaughter a duck and it own plank in a box. The plank for the duck was only about a foot long, and the duck is small. The kangaroo I tried to make however, was the size of an A3 paper sheet.

Have fun then. :)

Chipman
29th April 2009, 08:20 PM
Many thanks...I now have a couple of different plans for kangaroos.

When I make it, I will post some pics

This surely is a great forum to belong to:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Regards,

Chipman

keju
29th April 2009, 09:38 PM
Oh almost forgot...... I did make the roo on the slope..... it's from an old scroll saw magazine.... funny thing is.... it's been created by a guy in Skandinavia... not sure if it was Sweden or Norway.
I found putting a weight in the belly made it work better. Also deepening the cut outs for the dowel's pathway. No matter how I did it tho.... some worked great and other's just didn't. They are a lot of fun and actually even educational as you have to figure out the best angle to hold the board. The board had to be fairly rough or the roo would just slide down instead of hopping.

Juvy

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
1st May 2009, 07:00 AM
I sent you a message regarding plan
Paul

Talbingo
3rd May 2009, 10:30 AM
Chipman,

I have had a book for quite a few years on just these sort of toys. It has "thirty original toys with a flair for mobility" including a kangaroo with joey. They include the full plans and construction procedure for each one. I made the pull along frog with moving legs for my kids & they loved it.

The title is How to make Animated Toys by David Wakefield and it's published by Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. New York.

Have a look at the online bookshops or ask at your local bookshop, I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere and it's worth a look.

Talby

keju
3rd May 2009, 10:34 AM
Actually..... there are TWO books by the same author.... the other one is full of neat dinosaur toys .... from animated , walking ones, to flying ones and even a full size rocking dinosaur.
I think the books are out of print, but I could still get them through our library, it was an inter library loan, sorry don't remember the original library now, but you should be able to get any book from any library..... also... now if it's out of the district they can charge you up to $14 !!!!! If it's close it's free.... worth asking anyway.

Juvy

Chipman
6th May 2009, 08:14 PM
Chipman,

I have had a book for quite a few years on just these sort of toys. It has "thirty original toys with a flair for mobility" including a kangaroo with joey. They include the full plans and construction procedure for each one. I made the pull along frog with moving legs for my kids & they loved it.

The title is How to make Animated Toys by David Wakefield and it's published by Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. New York.

Have a look at the online bookshops or ask at your local bookshop, I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere and it's worth a look.

Talby

Many thanks for the info,

Chipman