PDA

View Full Version : Photos of our new kitchen

Cassandra
15th June 2004, 06:41 PM
Here they are, as promised. Took 6 months and many $$$$ but worth the effort and cost. Dealt with a great kitchen company but sub-contracted the rest. Husband did all the finishing work by himself. :)

Ben from Vic.
15th June 2004, 10:10 PM
That looks pretty good, Cassandra.

A Veritas twin screw vice would go really nice on the end of the island. :D

Ben

dzcook
15th June 2004, 10:30 PM
im jealous my kitchen is still sitting in the middle of the lounge rm in pieces
david

jackiew
16th June 2004, 11:40 AM
and i'm jealous that you can manage the "Homes and Gardens" style uncluttered worktops ( translate .... benches? ) ... or was that just for the photos ;)

antman
16th June 2004, 11:46 AM
Hi Cassandra,
I really like your kitchen layout, you have managed a large amount into a relatively small area. Looks great!

Just a question or two about the lighting. Are you using the down lights for your only light source? Are they enough? How do you go under the cupboards for light and shadows? We are about to run a stack of new wire into the roof and I was thinking of putting in down lights while I was there for the kitchen.

Any advice or thoughts from your experience?
Cheers
Anthony

Cassandra
16th June 2004, 05:57 PM
To answer your questions/comments:
Yes the clean, uncluttered look was for the photo. I try but never seem to be able to maintain that look for longer than an hour or so.

Lighting...........had lots of varying advice from this forum. Decided on low voltage down lights because of look mainly. We have 14 in ceiling and 6 in glass fronted cupboards. They are great in both brightness and coverage. They run on 5 different circuits and rarely need to be all on at the same time. The light in the Qasair range hood (wonderful, by the way) provides extra just where it is needed.

Advice:
Do your measuring up of exactly where you want your downlights before the wiring is put in. Figure out the circuits then too. When the ceiling is in and the benchtops are on, do the measuring again to be sure. Mark the exact placement of the holes. Make sure they are in line precisely from all directions (North to South, East to West). If one is out of line it is so noticeable and could bug you over time.

Cass ;) :) :D

ozwinner
16th June 2004, 06:15 PM
Im sorry but that broom didnt hide the bit with no skirt. :( :o

Al :)

John Saxton
16th June 2004, 06:17 PM
Cassandra,Great job well done go to the top of the class but on the way there you can come start on my place. ;)

Cheers :)

mat
17th June 2004, 09:18 AM
Antman
I have 5 low voltage downlights in my kitchen and no other lights. 3 over one bench and 2 over another which runs at an angle of about 60 degrees to the first.

I see the main advantage as having the light coming straight down on the benches and when you stand in front of a bench no shadow is created by you blocking light coming from behind.

Note that there are different globes that project light over different angles
ie narrow angle, wide angle

Spacing of lights is far more critical than standard globe fittings.

I have bright light over the benches and dull light in the centre of the floor where it is not really needed.

Theva
17th June 2004, 10:30 AM
Cassendra,

Great kitchen. Is it supply & install or supply only. Don't mind knowing the company name.

Regards,

Theva

Cassandra
17th June 2004, 03:36 PM
supply and install. Company was BRINDABELLA, out near you. Great company to work with and very honourable.
Cass

Theva
17th June 2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks Cassandra.

Regards,

Theva