PDA

View Full Version : Holly ?

marcusmucus
25th April 2009, 10:00 PM
hi there, thought it was worth a posting, stumbled across this site looking for advice on some tools, thought it would be interesting to find out about holly while i was here. I have a large amount of branchs etc from a tree i cut and curious wether that would interest anyone?
cheers

contrebasse
25th April 2009, 10:57 PM
beautiful white wood for inlay. If I was in Melb i'd take a branch or two!

tea lady
25th April 2009, 11:31 PM
I'm told its pretty good. Whitest wood and all that. But I have never used any. I'm eying off the holly tree at mum and dad's that they planted over 40 years ago. I keep telling them its a declared weed. :devil:

dr4g0nfly
26th April 2009, 08:54 AM
I've been turning a bit of holly lately, everyone is right, it's a fantastic wood, and very white but season it well, it moves like nothing else I've ever turned.

ElizaLeahy
26th April 2009, 06:49 PM
I'd love some if I were closer. I've made a keyring out of the tiny bit I've had and it is amazingly white.

dai sensei
26th April 2009, 11:51 PM
Definately worth keeping or selling, even the small bits/branches.

Let us know if you want to off load some, I'd be interested.

tea lady
27th April 2009, 12:03 AM
and I would also never let a wood opportunity pass by. Am also a bit closer than Qld. :cool:

Earl allgrove
22nd August 2012, 07:39 AM
Hi, I just joined and posted a request for anyone knowing the whereabouts of Holly. I see your post is from 2009 but thought I could freshen up your post! If you ever come across any more holly I'd be very interested to get some from you, I've worked with it a lot while living in Ireland and it's rarer than I realised... although it grows like a weed over there. Marvellous weed! Can post a few photos of work if you like.

TTIT
22nd August 2012, 11:25 AM
Hi, I just joined and posted a request for anyone knowing the whereabouts of Holly. I see your post is from 2009 but thought I could freshen up your post! If you ever come across any more holly I'd be very interested to get some from you, I've worked with it a lot while living in Ireland and it's rarer than I realised... although it grows like a weed over there. Marvellous weed! Can post a few photos of work if you like.
Welcome to the forum Earl :U My only experience with Holly was some pieces a forumite sent me but I found it quite grey and have read where some of the Yanks that use it bleach it to 'pop' the whiteness. I use Norfolk Island Hibiscus for my 'white' timber which is beautiful to work with and needs no bleaching. Grows naturally around the SE corner of Qld if you're in that area and has been used as street plantings right down to Vic' - even in Altona :o !!!
Would like to see the pics of your work but might be better to start a new thread :;

dai sensei
22nd August 2012, 04:32 PM
Marcus came and went, hasn't been back since 2009, so I'm closing the thread.

Earl, just stick to your own thread, no point digging up old threads