PDA

View Full Version : Finished...at last

Swifty
25th April 2009, 11:02 PM
Hi all,
Grandfather clock finished, almost exactly one year after I brought the blackwood back from Hobart last year.:)
Just having a slight snag with the movement...pendulum is not describing a perfect arc in its swing, but has a more elliptic path as it tries to move in the wrong plane. :(Not sure what is causing this exactly...centre of gravity of pendulum a bit off centre of the crutch, crutch buggered, spring buggered...(if you're there Andrew I'd like some help please!!!) I tried to twist the pendulum a bit, but didn't persist as I am not sure if this is the right thing to try.:o I will try and call the Hermle guys in Brisbane who supplied the movement.

Cheers

ravlord13
26th April 2009, 08:33 AM
G'Day Swifty,
Is the movement ticking evenly, a nice Tick Tock with an even sound each way.
This is about the only way I can describe it.
If it isn't you need to adjust the spring the pendulum hangs on, This adjustment will have to be done when ever the clock is moved.
I don't think there will be anything wrong with the movement as it was bought new, They can be a bugger to get running properly sometimes.
Re- check that the Pendulum is on the right side of the spring, just because the shiney side of the bob is out doesn't mean it is on the right way around.
The hooks on the pendulum should hook from the front pointing to the back.

Here is some info that may help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_clock
Mate It is so hard to regulate a clock movement without being there, I am sure it only needs tweeking.
Let me know how you go.
Andrew

ravlord13
26th April 2009, 08:49 AM
She looks good mate. :2tsup:
Andrew

Ruddy
26th April 2009, 11:13 AM
Hi Swifty,
The clock looks fantastic. What a great project.
Congratulations on a fine piece of woodwork.

Ruddy

Swifty
26th April 2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys.

Andrew, I tweeked the main spring as suggested (slight clockwise twist) and it all looks fine now :). That strange oscillation was actually taking momentum away from the pendulum in the wrong direction, so that after I tweeked, the pendulum settled down into a slightly larger arc of swing. The timing is good, an even tic-toc as desired. Just some more tweeking with pendulum length now to get the clock accurate. Thanks for your advise :2tsup:

Cheers

Chipman
26th April 2009, 11:06 PM
Great Job Swifty...

Well worth the wait! Hope you get that movement sorted.When I first put mine together, it kept stopping... gave it an oil and it has been running great ever since. (Just be aware that they tend to go a little faster in cold weather and slower in hot weather due to temperature induced changes in pendulum length.)

Regards
Chipman

Dengue
27th April 2009, 11:30 AM
Truly magnificent! Well done Swifty

Hobbyhorse
27th April 2009, 07:59 PM
Congratulations Swifty....Looking back on my clockmaking endeavours the thing that strikes me is the amount of time spent in figuring things out and the learning one does in the process. Again congratulations.

Rhys H

prozac
28th April 2009, 09:50 PM
Fabulous looking clock. How tall is it? Where do you get the innards from? Impressive.

Stef
30th April 2009, 04:49 PM
Fantastic clock, well worth the 12 months you put in to it.

:2tsup: I can picture one in my loungeroom.

You have just inspired me to give it a go.

Cheers Stef

dj_pnevans
4th May 2009, 10:09 PM
One fine clock you have there, if you dont mind how much would it put some one back to make one them selfs.
David

Swifty
9th May 2009, 03:06 PM
Hi David.

Clock movements, depending on what you want and how clever you are at finding them for a long case, might start at around a grand for a chain movement, then you have to get the pendulum, wieghts and shells, and dial. I paid more for mine because it is a cable driven with a tubular brass chime not a rod chime. Best to search the internet for Hermle or Keininger movements. They are a lot cheaper in the US, but then you have the problem of getting them here, paying duty on them anyway, etc. There are several Hermle agents in Australia, in Perth you can order through Carbatec or Timbecon.
The timber, Tasmanian blackwood, cost around 40/m including shipping it back from Hobart where I bought it. That was 9 x 1" planks, and good quality from a long-term supplier my father knows. I think I used up 7 x 2-metre lengths. I also had to get balckwood veneered mdf for the backboard. You can get blackwood in Perth, costs a bit more and possibly less choice, Morgan Timber in North Lake had some last time I looked, and there are other suppliers in Perth too. Or you could use another timber of your liking. Jarrah is not any cheaper than blackwood as it turns out, and (IMHO) not as good for this type of work. (I built my first clock, a wall clock, out of jarrah, it's nice but doesn't give as good a finish).
And the countless hours spent working on it in the workshop? "Priceless" as the credit-card ad says...:roll:
Not a cheap hobby as I found out :no:.But very addictive and rewarding :rolleyes:

Ad de Crom
9th May 2009, 07:33 PM
Swifty, wonderful clock mate.
It's more than worthy to put so much time in creating such a wonderful clock.
I'm really impressed.
Ad :2tsup:

tazchris
10th May 2009, 12:22 AM
Howdy Swifty,very nice work.I know you have spent lots of effort into this beauty..Cheers:2tsup: