PDA

View Full Version : Lost Wood Vessel

Mark Placek
26th April 2009, 04:25 AM
Hello, It has been many months since my last post, here is my latest creation.

The Lost wood turning process refers to a technique that removes a predetermined amount of wood from a turning after it comes off the lathe to transform it into a different shape; It now has an elongated oval shape like a football. I’ve seen vases that were made this way.

The wood is the most figured African mahogany I’ve ever found, and it was given to me for free.
This bowl was 18” square before I cut it; I used oak as the sacrificial wood.
Now it measures: 11” wide, 18” long and 4” high

The other materials in this bowl are: Yellowheart and Avonite.
(Avonite is a polyester solid surface material similar to Corian.)
The finish is Tung oil.

Taking good pictures of my work is difficult, I had professional photographer Marcus L. Wise of the 464 Gallery in Buffalo, N.Y., do a photo session with the bowl. The complete series of pictures is available on my website (http://www.placek.info/lostwood/index.html).

Thanks for looking, Mark

artme
26th April 2009, 08:38 AM
Absolutely exquisite!!! :brava:brava:brava

dr4g0nfly
26th April 2009, 08:58 AM
You either knew exactly what you wanted and how to go about getting it or have a lot of courage to cut a section like that out.

Stunning bowl, fantastic effect, well done.

munruben
26th April 2009, 09:50 AM
Nice work

tea lady
26th April 2009, 10:43 AM
Now that's just showing off.:p

Truly beautiful. :U:U Its great getting professional pics isn't it. Makes you see your work from a whole different perspective. :cool:

ElizaLeahy
26th April 2009, 11:57 AM
But... my soup would run out!!!

:oo:

What museum of art is that going in? It's amazing!

Ed Reiss
26th April 2009, 12:35 PM
Eloquently done Mark...and don't mind Eliza, she meant to say beer not soup:q:D:D

Sawdust Maker
26th April 2009, 12:40 PM
Just when I start to think I'm doing reasonable work someone comes along and posts something that is simply out of this world - and absolutely stunning

amazing work
thanks for sharing

Wayne Blanch
26th April 2009, 12:40 PM
Verrrrry impressive:2tsup:

Mark Placek
26th April 2009, 01:11 PM
Thank you all for your comments!
My turning has taken me in a new direction I did not see coming a few months ago.
This bowl will remain in my personal collection as a birthday present to me.
I turn 50 tomorrow the 26th which is your today, talking about beer.. I just cracked open my first one.
Cheers!! Mark

ElizaLeahy
26th April 2009, 01:19 PM
Happy birthday! That's a spectacular pressent - I bet you were thrilled and surprised when you opened it!

heehee

:)

killerbeast
26th April 2009, 06:15 PM
amazing!! getting pro pictures made makes so much difference..

Ozkaban
26th April 2009, 09:36 PM
I'm impressed with the planning and execution of this... Whenever I get anything on the lathe I have no more than the vaguest idea of what it's gonna be (or even what I want it to be). That approach wouldn't work for this one!

Looks absolutely stunning. Well done.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
26th April 2009, 09:39 PM
forgot to add - I like the way you've left the gap between the two to highlight the fact that you've taken some out, rather than try to join them together and show it as one piece. Seems to be more true to the concept of the lost wood...

Cheers,
Dave

orificiam
26th April 2009, 10:06 PM
First of all Happy B/day,-- Mark that is a beautiful Bowl.
now I must go and sell my lathe:oo::oo: just kidding
Cheers Tony.:2tsup::2tsup:

Ad de Crom
26th April 2009, 11:09 PM
Mark, a striking piece of work, never saw before something like that.
Oh yeah, happy birthday Mark.
Cheers, Ad