PDA

View Full Version : classic elite fountain pen bushing?

ElizaLeahy
26th April 2009, 09:27 AM
So I just wasted two blanks :(

The holes for this pen are 10mm, the tubes went in and were glued. Then I put the bushings on the mandrell....

I thought they were a little loose, but it wasn't until I turned through to the tube on one side that I realised how much they were out.

I measured and the bushes are 8mm.

Thinking about it, seems that they are allowing 2mm for the tube. But it's so loose!

What's the solution?

gawdelpus
26th April 2009, 03:53 PM
Could you have "b" mandrel bushes by mistake ? I don't have a b mandrel so can't check it for you.:( ~ John

Big Shed
26th April 2009, 03:57 PM
Eliza, is the hole (ID) in the bushes 8mm or is the OD of the bush part that fits in the pen tube 8mm?

A B mandrel is 5/16" or 8mm, but I have a feeling you are talking about the OD of the bush not being a proper fit inside the pen tube?

Edit:

Just checked my spreadsheet, Classic Elite tubes should have an ID of .361" or 9.17mm so the OD of your bushes should be just a bit smaller to fit in, certainly not 8mm!

ElizaLeahy
26th April 2009, 04:10 PM
The bit that goes into the tube is 8mm. I have no idea what anything else you said means :)

So I guess I have the wrong ones. Where can I get the right ones?

Spare tubes wouldn't go astray either... :(

Big Shed
26th April 2009, 04:16 PM
I guess the logical first port of call is your supplier of the kit(s)?

I had this problem once with some Craft Supply USA bushes, emailed them and they posted out the correct bushes by return mail, even though I only found out about the mix up a few months after the initial purchase.

On the subject of mismatched bushes, I always check the bushes now when they arrive with my digital caliper (you do have a caliper, don't you?). I check them again before I start turning, very easy to mix up bushes.

ElizaLeahy
26th April 2009, 04:23 PM
I emailed them, no reply yet (but it's Sunday)

Their shipping is really high, ok for large orders, but would be too much just for bushes. I doubt they will post them for me as I probably got what I ordered - I ordered the bushes for Classic - possibly different from Classic elite? I've looked through their site and can't see any specifically for Classic elite.

Big Shed
26th April 2009, 04:27 PM
Classic and Classic Elite bushes appear to be the same thing

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKPAR10-B2.html

ElizaLeahy
26th April 2009, 05:13 PM
Then I'll wait for them to get back to me.

Simomatra
26th April 2009, 05:15 PM
I take it you purchased these from Rizheng in China?

You have to be very carefully with ordering from there as what looks the same in not and they do not give you any instructions. With freight at US$25 min that is expensive bushings.

If it is indeed the Classic Elite, Jim at Carrol's sells the bushes http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=1107146602

I hope this all helps. It pays to have either a micrometer or a vernier when playing like this, that way you can measure the hardware bushes and tubes.

Hope this all makes sense

ElizaLeahy
26th April 2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks! I've ordered them :)

Dorno
2nd May 2009, 07:07 PM
Eliza I have found there are a few good places to get stuff. I get most of my bushes from http://www.043turning.com.au and find them pretty quick. I hope this helps

Regards Ian

Sawdust Maker
12th May 2009, 09:04 PM
Eliza
You could have got Funky Chicken to turn you up a set - he's just hankering to play with that metal lathe