PDA

View Full Version : Some inspiration from Turn-Fest 2009

dai sensei
26th April 2009, 08:19 PM
I started this one a while ago with the intension of making a turned jewellery box for my daughter’s birthday, but after Turn-Fest 2009, I went in a different direction and ended up with this trinket box :-. I think I got the shapes right and I am pretty happy with the way it turned out :2tsup:.

It is made from Budgeroo (Lysicarpus angustifolius) and slightly spalted Bonewood (Acradenia euodiiformis). Like most of my spalted timber, it doesn’t develop that beautiful spider-web type spalting others get, mine just turns grey :~. Unfortunately I had no choice, I don’t have much left, and all of it has some spalting in it. The inlay rim is even made from segmenting smaller pieces together.

I also had problems with very smaller borers throughout the timber :((. I remade my finial a few times, apart from the normal problems of breaking whilst turning, one had heaps of bug holes. I tried filling them with CA, then sawdust, then white resin, but they all looked like crap :~. I tried making the finial and trim out of some Silver Ash I have. It was very light, but not the white I was after and it didn’t provide the contrast I wanted, so I didn’t even start on the legs (they will keep for another box). With the Bonewood legs, I just left the holes as is and although I’m not happy, at least it does look natural (see leg photo).

I also initially filled a fault (eye-drop hole) with Malachite dust, but the green looked a bit out of place :?. When I turned the tennon off I found a huge borer holed on the bottom :o, so I removed the Malachite and filled both with sawdust and CA.

The leg joiner pins are from 2mm stainless steel nails cut down. It was all sanded to 1200 and finished with Shellawax then Shellawax Glow. I ended up also buffing the outside with Hut wax on my Swansdown mop to bring back a few dull spots that developed during handling.

Cheers

rsser
26th April 2009, 08:28 PM
Splendiforous!

Calm
26th April 2009, 08:35 PM
Neil i thought after the last one with the finial you had set the bar high.

This just puts it out of reach, Your ability/results leave me in awe.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

ElizaLeahy
26th April 2009, 08:58 PM
(http://www.woodworkforums.com/member.php?u=6155)Dai Sensai, I bow at your feet!

bowl-basher
26th April 2009, 09:50 PM
Dai Sensai, I bow at your feet!
Move over Liz ........and make room for me
Bowl-Basher

Chipman
26th April 2009, 10:56 PM
What is going on?????

For some strange reason Neil's original post is completely blank...no text or pictures?????????

Chipman

TTIT
26th April 2009, 11:07 PM
Beautiful piece Neil :2tsup: looks fantastic. Shame about the wormholes but well finished regardless:C.
As the Budgeroo darkens with exposure to light, the contrast will make it look even better I reckon - and the inside will stay the same colour if you leave the lid on :U

Wayne Blanch
27th April 2009, 08:44 AM
It certainly is humbling to be in the presence of genius.:clap: If I ever get to your level of skill I will be more than happy with myself, that is one beautiful bit of work!:2tsup:

Chipman
27th April 2009, 09:13 AM
Ahhh... It is all back now!

Absolutely fantastic!

Regards,

Chipman

Allan at Wallan
27th April 2009, 12:06 PM
Just simply fantabulous Neil:2tsup:

Allan

Sawdust Maker
27th April 2009, 02:01 PM
absolutely fantastic
like the legs
great work

artme
27th April 2009, 06:08 PM
A wonderful piece Neil!!:2tsup::2tsup:

NeilS
27th April 2009, 06:49 PM
Specy!

RufflyRustic
27th April 2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Neil,

I reckon that Turnfest has just paid for itself and then some again!!! :D:2tsup:

Cheers
Wendy

powderpost
27th April 2009, 09:16 PM
An excellent piece... :2tsup:

dai sensei
27th April 2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the comments :B

I reckon that Turnfest has just paid for itself and then some again!!!

Yep :2tsup:. My mind is bulging with ideas just waiting to be turned into things, texturing/multi-axis/carving/bone etc etc, but time is against me. Next weekend is Melany show, WWW show not far away, with all the rain the yard is crap, and lets not talk about housework :rolleyes:

munruben
27th April 2009, 11:31 PM
Absolutely fabulous.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

thefixer
28th April 2009, 12:13 AM
awesome:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Tony Morton
28th April 2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Neil
My inspiration for 09 hasnt come yet I've been working on a table, but as in past years there is always something that you have just got to make. Sometimes its when you first get home others its months later and out of the blue suddenly you have the thought -------- did this at turnfest and you put the idea into practice.

Cheers Tony

WOODY70
28th April 2009, 06:56 PM
G'Day Neil,

Looks good. It's good to see you picked up some helpful tips and ideas from Turnfest.

So will you be going next year?

Should be another good one!!!:2tsup:

Cheers

dai sensei
28th April 2009, 10:29 PM
So will you be going next year?

Yep, deposit already paid :cool:

Ed Reiss
30th April 2009, 12:15 PM
Neil...ya' dun good:2tsup: .....vurrrrryyyyy nice:D

Ozartisan
1st May 2009, 08:41 PM