PDA

View Full Version : Who is James Hercus?

Greg Q
28th April 2009, 08:55 PM
In Adelaide yesterday haunting used book shops. I found a copy of "Fundamentals of Machinery Component Design" (I am one exciting dude, no?).

Inside the front cover I discovered in pen: "James Hercus, 1992"

Coincidence?

Greg

aljunk
29th April 2009, 12:26 AM
google him............?

Greg Q
29th April 2009, 08:13 PM
It was more of a rhetorical question. Hercus lathes were made in Adelaide, and it seems an uncommon name, and an uncommon book so I was connecting the dots. Either way, no biggie...

Greg

4-6-4
2nd August 2009, 11:21 PM
:) Dear gregory I am not sure which Hercus is which But I heard a talk given by one of the Sons of Hercus the lathe manufacturer. Hercus started in Melbourne Aust at the start of WW 2. He and a friend bought a South Bend lathe made foundry patterns and started production. Apparently Patents are suspended during war time. He eventually moved to Adelaide and produced most types of machine shop equipment.I have seen and owned one of the larger lathes, there were shapers and grindes and slotters. All of a size for the amature workshop. His best market was schools and the local Government policy of Australian Made for schools. The problem with Hercus was the demise of the school workshop and a adventure into a small CNC machineing centre. Hope this is of help. yours 4-6-4
In Adelaide yesterday haunting used book shops. I found a copy of "Fundamentals of Machinery Component Design" (I am one exciting dude, no?).

Inside the front cover I discovered in pen: "James Hercus, 1992"

Coincidence?

Greg